OT: Bored with Skyrim, what next?

DaedricBard

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I suspect you folks are a good bunch to ask about this.

Skyrim is losing is allure for me. I've got it modded to death, so just making it look better won't cut it. Legacy of the Dragonborn v5 will no doubt breathe a little life back into it for awhile, and I'll probably come back to it in a year's time, after the Beyond Skyrim series and Skyblivion come along. But I fear that a couple months from now Skyrim will have lost its appeal for me and I'll be going into withdrawal. I need a Plan B.

I am not a serious gamer but I know many of you are, so I'm asking the forum: what open-world game would you suggest I take up next?

(I've already gone through the obsession-to-boredom cycle with Witcher 3, perhaps the closest analog to Skyrim. I have not played Fallout 4 or Fallout New Vegas, preferring.swords over guns. And yes, I've played all the major quest mods for Skyrim already.)

lol, buy a bicycle. Go camping, dig a garden, paint your room. build a model. do something in the real world.

(just a suggestion...wish I had the energy and ability to get away from my home)

best wishes whatever you do.

If you liked the structure of Skyrim, then taking the leap into the Fallout universe is the next logical step. There you will find the base game and plenty of mods to enhance it.

I started with Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I was reticent to move over into Skyrim because of the swords and stuff, but I am glad I made that leap.

Right now I am wondering if the game Outer Worlds might hold some promise in terms of something new.

"...do something in the real world."

Excellent advice. Unfortunately, it is precisely that real world that I am escaping from when I plunge into an immersive video game.

I'm a software developer in the real world, and while it definitely beats roofing as a job, it often makes my brain hurt. And nothing soothes a stressed-out brain better than crushing bandit skulls with a dragonbone mace.

AC Odyssey is pretty good imo; it has a much more free-form style than the earlier iterations. And it's just drop-dead gorgeous. If you're into classical history and Greek mythology, extra bonus. Same with AC Origins but mutatis mutandis for Egyptian mythology. It's not as "do whatever" as the Elder Scroll series, but they're both fine games.

Here is an idea:

Create a character - and only play with MAGIC, no real - physical weapons. Also, only mage robes and such. NO armor. Play in Survival Mode - and with Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases. Plus you only KILL when you are left with NO option and can only kill with Magic ( which includes Bound Weapons, since they are based on magic. )

Have fun!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've never actually started a new game in Skyrim (been playing the same character for a year). The reason I haven't done so is because every time I consider it I think of all the tedious quests I'd have to repeat. Gathering nirnroot and bear pelts, handing out religious propaganda, doing grunt work for the Companions, harassing the patrons of Helga's Bunkhouse.

I will say, though, that the game was a lot more fun at levels 1-25 because to stay alive you had to be on your toes and employ actual strategy. You felt like you really earned those 100 Septims after killing a giant. (My current character lugs around 2 million in her pocket - good thing money is weightless - and there's almost nothing to spend it on.)

acidzebra, I'll check out AC Odyssey. I do like ancient history and Greek mythology, a passion that began at age 9 when I first read The Odyssey of Homer. You know, that would make an interesting quest mod for Skyrim. If it had boats.