Frustrating Python Error in Blender

Deleted43016095User

Hi, I'm trying to get Blender working on importing .nifs and have been running into ongoing issues with python errors.

I've followed these instructions exactly, including the exact versions and changing the directories per the instructions.

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Installation_of_Blender

I keep getting this python error when importing the .nif. It says compiled with Python 2.6.2...I don;t even have that installed, I installed 2.6.5 per the instructions and double checked that.

I've also tried going back to the beginning and completely uninstalling and reinstalling each program in the order it is listed. This is the third time I've been through this.

Would anyone be able to decipher what this is trying to tell me?

I really want to get started with Blender but this is making me want to uninstall the whole thing, move to a remote area and become a monk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://f.3ezy.net/Dirtnap/Nexus/Capture.JPG

I am not sure if it will make a difference, but I have Blender, Python, PyFFI, NifScripts and NifSkope all installed in their own folder under C: and I have no problems importing, working or exporting. The only time I have ever had an import problem was when the mod author made the texture location excessively long.

It entirely depends on what you're trying to do here.

If you're using Blender 2.49 (which it looks like you are), it cannot directly import Skyrim models without voodoo rituals. I have it outlined in a tutorial here.

You're better off using more up to date Blender 2.78 or 2.79. You don't need any other external programs with it except the recent nif plug-in. This set up will directly import/export Skyrim (LE) models (there is no support for SE models).

(You could try the newest Blender 2.80 but I don't believe the plugin supports it)

It entirely depends on what you're trying to do here.

If you're using Blender 2.49 (which it looks like you are), it cannot directly import Skyrim models without voodoo rituals. I have it outlined in a tutorial here.

You're better off using more up to date Blender 2.78 or 2.79. You don't need any other external programs with it except the recent nif plug-in. This set up will directly import/export Skyrim (LE) models (there is no support for SE models).

(You could try the newest Blender 2.80 but I don't believe the plugin supports it)

Thanks very much for your tutorial Hanaisse! I'll go through it carefully.

I don;t see anything about what versions to install in your tutorial yet but looks like a ton of great info so I appreciate it.

I've installed Blender 2.79 and the latest niftools, and Blender does recognize the plugin but even after preparing the .nif in nifskope by changing the user versions and deleting the blocks of BSLightingshaderproperties I'm still getting a python error on import. This time it says array too long. Is there anything I might have missed? No idea what array too long means.

I tried looking up this error and there were several that said to download the older version of nifskope v. 1.0.22. I found that but it's just a folder with a bunch of source files and no visible way to install. Tried running the makexe.bat in it in cmd and it said invalid command.

http://f.3ezy.net/Dirtnap/Nexus/Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Guest

I am not sure if it will make a difference, but I have Blender, Python, PyFFI, NifScripts and NifSkope all installed in their own folder under C: and I have no problems importing, working or exporting. The only time I have ever had an import problem was when the mod author made the texture location excessively long.

Thanks very much M48A5 I also tried that approach per the tutorial I was using with each in C;/Apps/the program but got the invalid syntax error.

I can't figure out how to install this older nifskope version, but I do think it's something happening in the newer version that is corrupting the .nif I changed User Version to 11, User Version 2 to 34, and then deleted the BSlightingshaderproperties using Block Remove Branch. The whole mesh disappears. When I saved under a new name and then attempted to reopen it it could not be read and both user versions then said 11.....

This is a basic UUNP unp body mesh.

Edited by Guest

Sorry, I hope I haven't seriously confused you :D

You're best off forgetting about Blender 2.49 process flow (and my tutorial). Stick with 2.79. You do not need to "prepare the nif" so to speak. The plugin will support import and export as is. This tutorial will help you with that.

Thank you so much for helping. I'll try again without the preparations then. I hope that's what the array too long was about. I'm getting so discouraged, I can actually do modeling if I can just get it in there that's what kills me lol. I love this info and will read carefully.

YES!! Ok, that got the meshes in the workspace, thank you. I'll be going through both tutorials and will try to be as self sufficiant as possible on getting through the rest. I have 3D modeling and texturing experience in other platforms so I think I'll be able to settle in with some effort. I really appreciate your help!!

http://f.3ezy.net/Dirtnap/Nexus/Untitled-2.jpg