Returning to Fallout 3,

Beccy

If you are looking for companions, I highly recommend RR Companions Vault. It adds vanilla companions and a new vault to call home. Probably the best companion mod is Brisa Almadovar. Fully voiced and a lot of fun to have along. Another good one is Mesme. It gives you the ability to reanimate any intact corpse you find and make them a companion.

@DavidYokosukaJapan I agree with M48A5 on Brisa Almodovar, I never go anywhere without her and you can adjust her to your own liking which is a big plus.

Wasteland Whisperer and RobCo Certified, I used both of them for a while but I didn't like them so I don't use them anymore.

iHUD and Darnified UI work together perfectly if you have DarnUI 0.11, if you have an older 0.10 your stats will always show and never fade.

S&C Companions have problems with Undiscovered Capital - Experiencing Turbulence, use one or the other.

NMC's Texture Packs and Project Reality work well together, NMC replaces terrain/building/clutter/stuff textures while Project Reality edits NPC appearences through a plugin (I think it has new body textures as well, not sure). Project Reality conflicts with any mods editing vanilla NPCs affected by it, it's the reasons I don't use it. Looking at 200+ mods in FO3Edit just to figure out which ones conflict with PR and then making a compatibility patch for them is not something I like to do.

Edited by Werne

If you are looking for companions, I highly recommend RR Companions Vault. It adds vanilla companions and a new vault to call home. Probably the best companion mod is Brisa Almadovar. Fully voiced and a lot of fun to have along. Another good one is Mesme. It gives you the ability to reanimate any intact corpse you find and make them a companion.

Thank you! I'm most interested in Brisa. Fully voiced -- now that's professional!

Mesme sounds coo tool but reanimating corpses would probably break the theme of my current playthrough -- survivalist scavenger.

She might work for when I do a new play-through -- ghoul character that uses only melee and unarmed attacks or "low tech" items like the dart gun.

\

@DavidYokosukaJapan I agree with M48A5 on Brisa Almodovar, I never go anywhere without her and you can adjust her to your own liking which is a big plus.

Wasteland Whisperer and RobCo Certified, I used both of them for a while but I didn't like them so I don't use them anymore.

iHUD and Darnified UI work together perfectly if you have DarnUI 0.11, if you have an older 0.10 your stats will always show and never fade.

S&C Companions have problems with Undiscovered Capital - Experiencing Turbulence, use one or the other.

NMC's Texture Packs and Project Reality work well together, NMC replaces terrain/building/clutter/stuff textures while Project Reality edits NPC appearences through a plugin (I think it has new body textures as well, not sure). Project Reality conflicts with any mods editing vanilla NPCs affected by it, it's the reasons I don't use it. Looking at 200+ mods in FO3Edit just to figure out which ones conflict with PR and then making a compatibility patch for them is not something I like to do.

Thank you very much for that insight! Could you tell me, did they (WW & RC) just not really fit into the 'apocalyptic wasteland' theme? Like other folks I'm talking to in the forums, I'm shooting for the 'realistic' harsh wasteland/survivalist scavenger theme/simulation.

And thank you also for the rest of the info. I'm getting iHUD now. Just installed and tested out NMCs textures. Though there's repetition in the items (every refrigerator, car, etc look exactly the same, got scratched in the same spot) they *do* look GREAT.

I just got the most recent DUI so I'm guessing it'll work well with iHUD.

I'm using Fellout but am probably going to go with Project Reality because I'm told it gives the wasteland a 'harsher, more realistic' look than Fellout (which I like because of realistically dark nights). Thank you for informing me of all the compatibility issues above -- you've saved me from a lot of stress and I appreciate it :)

Do you have any opinion of A&AT?

Could you tell me, did they (WW & RC) just not really fit into the 'apocalyptic wasteland' theme?

To me, they didn't really fit at all. WW was lore-friendly but it just felt overpowered (I mean, walking around with a bloody Deathclaw). RobCo Certified was not so great to me from the start, it feels lke it turns you into a robot god or something. I just didn't find it amusing nor did it fit into the way I play FO3.

Just installed and tested out NMCs textures. Though there's repetition in the items (every refrigerator, car, etc look exactly the same, got scratched in the same spot) they *do* look GREAT.

Hell, vanilla textures do the same thing, you just don't see it because they stick out less.

I'm using Fellout but am probably going to go with Project Reality because I'm told it gives the wasteland a 'harsher, more realistic' look than Fellout (which I like because of realistically dark nights).

Ok, I just realized I screwed up, I mixed up Project Reality and Project Beauty (and being half asleep while writing that post didn't help either). Sorry about that.

Anyway, PR does look a lot better, it has different weather like rain, thunderstorms, fog, etc. However, I found it less than satisfying since it bugged out every now and then. Sometimes I got thunder with no sound or sound with no thunder, radiation meter would tend to stay on my screen forever, some weather cycles didn't even work, that kind of stuff. I also experienced a lot of lagging when there's rain or fog so I don't suggest it if you have an older computer.

But when it works, it works like a charm.

Do you have any opinion of A&AT?

You mean AAT Phone Company? If so, I never got it because it conflicts with some of the mods I have (Saving Nova, among others). I do find it interesting though, I always play a passive guy who kills only when really needed so I prefer quests that require talking and convincing over assaults and brute force. I think it's a great mod if you're into that kind of stuff.

To me, they didn't really fit at all. WW was lore-friendly but it just felt overpowered (I mean, walking around with a bloody Deathclaw). RobCo Certified was not so great to me from the start, it feels lke it turns you into a robot god or something. I just didn't find it amusing nor did it fit into the way I play FO3.

Uh yeah... overpowered LW... no challenge, so no thanks.

Robco Cert'ed sound like it match a "I'm the Mechanist" playthru. Or maybe taking FWE's Mechanic alternate start.

Hell, vanilla textures do the same thing, you just don't see it because they stick out less.

Yes good point. I guess the original textures are blurry enough to where the repetition is less noticeable :sweat:

Ok, I just realized I screwed up, I mixed up Project Reality and Project Beauty (and being half asleep while writing that post didn't help either). Sorry about that.

Anyway, PR does look a lot better, it has different weather like rain, thunderstorms, fog, etc. However, I found it less than satisfying since it bugged out every now and then. Sometimes I got thunder with no sound or sound with no thunder, radiation meter would tend to stay on my screen forever, some weather cycles didn't even work, that kind of stuff. I also experienced a lot of lagging when there's rain or fog so I don't suggest it if you have an older computer.

But when it works, it works like a charm.

Ahhh ok..NP :) I've fallen asleep standing up on the train ride home so I know how it feels to be half asleep doing something

.... so PR is cool, except for the bugs.. Hmmm maybe I should stick with Fellout after all. Since it's stable.

You mean AAT Phone Company? If so, I never got it because it conflicts with some of the mods I have (Saving Nova, among others). I do find it interesting though, I always play a passive guy who kills only when really needed so I prefer quests that require talking and convincing over assaults and brute force. I think it's a great mod if you're into that kind of stuff.

Yea my character's tend to be neutral and peaceful ... don't fire unless fired upon basically.

From the description is sounds like AAT phone company would fit into Fallout Lore, rebuilding society slowly, nicely (rebuilding the world one phone install at a time ;) ).

Um, kinda a little off topic but I've seen a few different unofficial patches on Nexus, FOIP, Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch, Stutter remover to name a few. In your opinion, which works best, and also which one is most 'user install friendly?' (For me, that's use FOMM package manager to install then put in the right load order)

Um, kinda a little off topic but I've seen a few different unofficial patches on Nexus, FOIP, Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch, Stutter remover to name a few. In your opinion, which works best, and also which one is most 'user install friendly?' (For me, that's use FOMM package manager to install then put in the right load order)

FOIP is a set of compatibility patches, it's when you use two mods that tend to conflict with eachother (EVE/FWE, MMM/FOOK, etc.). If you don't have both mods (for example, you have Project Beauty but you don't have FWE and you apply the PB/FWE patch) your game will crash on startup because you're missing a master file. It's also quite outdated, FOOK, Fallout 3 Redesigned (former Project Beauty) and EVE were updated and FOIP still has patches for old versions. Patches for other mods that weren't updated will work fine.

UF3P is not something I recommend. It does fix bugs but it also creates some too (and then you need a patch for the patch :rolleyes:). Aside from that, it's designed for Fallout v1.1 with no updates. Having FO3 v1.1 would most likely make problems with most mods. This is from the file's description page:

-The Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch has been created for Fallout 3 v1.1 (english) or higher and should not be used with any other Fallout 3 versions\languages.

Stutter Remover is something I definately recommend. It's not a patch at all, it's a dll FOSE plugin that fixes the problem with micro-stutters that tend to appear when you move sideways or turn your mouse and it also limits your framerate to 30fps, you can adjust that to limit at 60 if your computer can run the game at stabily at 60, go over and weird stuff starts to happen. It requires FOSE (Fallout 3 Script Extender) and goes to Data/FOSE/plugins. If you want to install it via FOMM's package manager you'll have to create the folder structure yourself and pack it with 7Zip/WinRar.

If your game runs fine, you don't need a patch and I suggest not getting one. But if you ever find that you need one, try Fallout Remastered. I'm not sure does it require all DLCs but back when it got released it did need all of them.

One more thing, running BOSS to sort your load order is a good thing, it sorts them to reduce conflicts. I also strongly suggest making a merged patch each time you add/remove a mod, it will make your game run more stabile. Don't forget to delete the old one before you go make a new one.

In case you don't know how to make a merged patch:

- Start FO3 Edit

- Load your mods

- When everything loads select all your mods, then right-click on the mod list and select Create Merged Patch

- A small window will pop up asking you to name your patch, write something and click Create

- Now when exiting FO3 Edit another window will pop up named Save Changed Files, click OK

- When starting FOMM put your patch LAST in the load order and check it

And kudos for having a brain and using FOMM instead of NMM. NMM is just a big pile of never-ending problems.

FOIP is a set of compatibility patches, it's when you use two mods that tend to conflict with eachother (EVE/FWE, MMM/FOOK, etc.). If you don't have both mods (for example, you have Project Beauty but you don't have FWE and you apply the PB/FWE patch) your game will crash on startup because you're missing a master file. It's also quite outdated, FOOK, Fallout 3 Redesigned (former Project Beauty) and EVE were updated and FOIP still has patches for old versions. Patches for other mods that weren't updated will work fine.

So FOIP is for those who use *all* of those mods together. I do not use FOOK presently but do have FWE, MMM, and EVE, Would you recommend installing FOOK and FOIP?

UF3P is not something I recommend. It does fix bugs but it also creates some too (and then you need a patch for the patch :rolleyes:). Aside from that, it's designed for Fallout v1.1 with no updates. Having FO3 v1.1 would most likely make problems with most mods. This is from the file's description page:

-The Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch has been created for Fallout 3 v1.1 (english) or higher and should not be used with any other Fallout 3 versions\languages.
Stutter Remover is something I definately recommend. It's not a patch at all, it's a dll FOSE plugin that fixes the problem with micro-stutters that tend to appear when you move sideways or turn your mouse and it also limits your framerate to 30fps, you can adjust that to limit at 60 if your computer can run the game at stabily at 60, go over and weird stuff starts to happen. It requires FOSE (Fallout 3 Script Extender) and goes to Data/FOSE/plugins. If you want to install it via FOMM's package manager you'll have to create the folder structure yourself and pack it with 7Zip/WinRar.

I'll get the stutter remover. And stay away from the UF3P, and thanks for the warning!

If your game runs fine, you don't need a patch and I suggest not getting one. But if you ever find that you need one, try Fallout Remastered. I'm not sure does it require all DLCs but back when it got released it did need all of them.

One more thing, running BOSS to sort your load order is a good thing, it sorts them to reduce conflicts. I also strongly suggest making a merged patch each time you add/remove a mod, it will make your game run more stabile. Don't forget to delete the old one before you go make a new one.

In case you don't know how to make a merged patch:

- Start FO3 Edit

- Load your mods

- When everything loads select all your mods, then right-click on the mod list and select Create Merged Patch

- A small window will pop up asking you to name your patch, write something and click Create

- Now when exiting FO3 Edit another window will pop up named Save Changed Files, click OK

- When starting FOMM put your patch LAST in the load order and check it

And kudos for having a brain and using FOMM instead of NMM. NMM is just a big pile of never-ending problems.

Thanks and thanks! Well I think I may need FO Remastered because after using BOSS to rearange load order I actually had more crashes than before, generally when going through a door [Edit: or when Fast Traveling. I disabled "save on travel" and it crashes less than before. It seems I get about 30 minutes of play before CTD. It 'feels' to me like a load order issue so will reverify against the readme files + BOSS. One thing I think is really odd is that FWE Alternate Fast Travel's esp is esp but it's bolded and it's file header 'marks it as esm' in the comments. End Edit]

As a general rule of thumb, every time I make a change (install new mod or uninstall anything) I delete the old merged patch and make a new one and always put it last. I'm not using a whole lot or anything out of the ordinary (all are from Nexus Top Files section) -- FWE, MMM, EVE, Busworld, DC interiors, Undiscovered Capital, RH Ironsights, Darn UI, Enhanced Weather, More Map Markers, NMC's textures, and Fellout.

Game was fairly stable with just FWE, MMM, Darn UI, Enhanced weather, and Fellout. After I added the rest... crashes about every 5~10 minutes.

You know, I'm going to eventually get it stable. Not giving up on FO3 and these great mods. I'm sticking with them!

I really appreciate all the knowledge and guidance you're sharing :)

Edited by DavidYokosukaJapan

][/color]So FOIP is for those who use *all* of those mods together. I do not use FOOK presently but do have FWE, MMM, and EVE, Would you recommend installing FOOK and FOIP?

Okay, I'm not sure if I explained it weirdly (english is not my first language). I probably did.

Anyway, you say you have FWE, MMM and EVE. So you can get EVE/FWE patch, and MMM/FWE patch from FOIP. You don't need to have all the mods FOIP supports, just the two you're downloading a patch for. If that makes any sence.

I honestly suggest avoiding FOIP all together, if you install patches for mods you have (ones I mentioned above) you might have crashes, EVE/FWE patch needs FWE v6.01 and MMM/FWE patch requires FWE v6.03, two different versions and I don't know how will the game react to that. It might be nothing and it might screw everything up.

By the way FOOK and FWE generally don't like each other. I personally don't like FOOK but everyone has his own taste.

Thanks and thanks! Well I think I may need FO Remastered because after using BOSS to rearange load order I actually had more crashes than before, generally when going through a door or when Fast Traveling. I disabled "save on travel" and it crashes less than before. It seems I get about 30 minutes of play before CTD. It 'feels' to me like a load order issue so will reverify against the readme files + BOSS. One thing I think is really odd is that FWE Alternate Fast Travel's esp is esp but it's bolded and it's file header 'marks it as esm' in the comments.

Your game crashes when entering/changing cells, it's a common crash issue, in most cases caused by incorrect load order or a mod conflict. Could you post your load order? Just open FOMM, click Load Order, select Copy to clipboard, paste it in your post and I'll take a look at it.

Like so:

Fallout3.esm

Anchorage.esm

ThePitt.esm

StreetLights.esm

BrokenSteel.esm

PointLookout.esm

Zeta.esm

HairPack.esm

aHUD.esm

iHUD.esm

CALIBR.esm

xCALIBR.esm

Weapon Repair Kits - Final.esm

MorphineRenameMod.esp

Mothership Crew.esm

Advanced Recon Tech.esm

Alton, IL.esm

Apocalypse Armory.esm

RHKBrisaAlmodovar.esm

WerneLooterArmor.esm

sc_lovers_resource.esm

sc_saving_nova_dep.esm

Sydney Follower.esp

Directional PipLight LITE.esp

pipboy2500_fo3_edisleado.esp

RCmarketNoFire.esp

SniperAimCorrected - nodemo.esp

Revenge.esp

BetterGamePerformance.esp

Stop Insulting Me Outcasts.esp

DarNifiedUIF3.esp

Selective Fire.esp

hair_add_npc.esp

no blur on hit.esp

CALIBRxMerchant.esp

US Dollar.esp

Sprint Mod.esp

Auto Aim Fix v1.1.esp

PCB.esp

GNR Enhanced.esp

IPip.esp

UPP - Pack 1.esp

UPP - Pack 2.esp

PowerArmorTraining.esp

PowerArmorTraining_MedicArmor.esp

PowerArmorTraining_Linden.esp

AQFH.esp

AQFH2.esp

AQFH3.esp

Glow Sticks.esp

Explosive Entry.esp

Laurens_Bathroom_poetry_V1.esp

BlackWolf Backpack.esp

WerneLooterArmorPlugin.esp

FasterWaiting.esp

Raider Armor Jalex228.esp

Backpacks - SedPL.esp

SniperZooming.esp

MoreMapMarkers.esp

10MM2Hand.esp

TG Armor Collection.esp

Apocalypse Armory.esp

Tailor Maid.esp

Tailor Maid Anchorage.esp

Tailor Maid PITT.esp

Tailor Maid Brokensteel.esp

Tailor Maid Black Retex.esp

WeaponModKits.esp

WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp

Glock19.esp

Bonic Eyes.esp

WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp

WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp

WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp

WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp

10mmReplacer.esp

Crossbow.esp

laserRifleRetexturedScoped.esp

Nokona Chief Hat.esp

Chinese Stealth Armor Invisibility Toggle Key.esp

ScrapForCaps.esp

DartsSell.esp

MetalArmorNoPenalty.esp

camouflage uniform.esp

waterfix.esp

laserScatterGunRetextured.esp

new blackhawk.esp

Snake Plisskens Outfit.esp

TheFingerOfGod.esp

Hades Hellfire.esp

PolishArmyBeret.esp

gasmaskhelmet.esp

ZL-ACR.esp

ZL-ACR_Fix.esp

Advanced Recon Armor.esp

Advanced Recon Armor-Predator Mode.esp

Advanced Recon Gear.esp

Advanced Recon Tech.esp

Advanced Recon Range Finder.esp

All Anchorage Armors Usable.esp

Armored Duster.esp

BSFeminizedPowerArmor.esp

ClassicEnclaveAPA-Better-APA-english.esp

Dogmeat Leather Armor - no crafting.esp

Dragonskin Tactical Outfit.esp

DragonskinBonusPack.esp

FeminizedPowerArmor.esp

OAFeminizedPowerArmor.esp

TPFeminizedPowerArmor.esp

FO3NeckChains.esp

ForeheadGoggles.esp

japanese_armor_set.esp

LeatherBackpack - eng.esp

MissingUniqueArmorClothing-Base.esp

NAPA.esp

SimpleEyePatch.esp

T3T_CombatArmorSleeves.esp

Tesla Metal Armor.esp

classic_shotgun.esp

Tesla Light Armor Redone.esp

HelmetLight.esp

Bandshirts_NPCs.esp

MercBar.esp

Banks of the Wasteland1-1.esp

H&K PSG-1 Sniper Rifles.esp

Remington700.esp

Wasteland Soldier Armor.esp

Aviators.esp

WerneMoiraCaps.esp

BenelliM4S90.esp

Sons_Of_Anarchy.esp

WerneCustomWeaponParts.esp

WW2Uniforms.esp

safe_regulator_hq.esp

RHKBrisaAlmodovar - DLC - Anch.esp

bittercup_comp.esp

Classic Midwestern Power Armor.esp

LucyWestCompanion.esp

OutcastUpgrade.esp

Plutonium.esp

FleshBurningPlasma.esp

Double barreled shotgun fix.esp

dblbarrel_shotguns.esp

lawbringer killer edit.esp

I'll Touch What I Want.esp

Outcast Collection Agent Expanded.esp

Outcast Collection Agent Expanded - DLC Plugin.esp

SuperStim.esp

UsableCigarettes.esp

WRK Final - Plugin.esp

WRK Final - Point Lookout.esp

Backpacks_witheffects.esp

No Ammo Backpacks - Broken Steel.esp

lessviewdistance.esp

WerneMegatonHouseMap.esp

dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp

dD-No Screen Blood.esp

dD-More Gore.esp

dD-More Gore-The Pitt.esp

dD-More Gore-BrokenSteel.esp

dD-More Gore-PointLookout.esp

dD-More Gore-Zeta.esp

dD-Reduced Ragdoll Force.esp

dD-Reduced Dismember Force.esp

Realistic Death Physics.esp

Level50BrokenSteel.esp

Fellout-pipboylight.esp

Dust-Away.esp

Dust-Away - DLC Support.esp

Claw - PowerArmorTraining.esp

Miniguns Replacer.esp

fawkesmask.esp

Advanced Combat Armor.esp

laserPistolRetextured.esp

Fellout-Full.esp

Fellout-Anchorage.esp

Fellout-BrokenSteel.esp

Fellout-PointLookout.esp

Fellout-Zeta.esp

Realistic Interior Lighting.esp

Realistic Interior Lighting - BS.esp

Realistic Interior Lighting - OA.esp

Realistic Interior Lighting - PL.esp

ScopedOlPainlessAutoAim.esp

Detective Outfit.esp

SomePoses.esp

WerneVaultDrifter.esp

GunImpactLODIncreased.esp

noautoaim.esp

Mr Steaks MLP Pack.esp

WerneAntimaterielRifle.esp

Increased Damage.esp

Abandoned Shack.esp

FortIndependenceRedesigned.esp

StealthArmorNoHelmet.esp

VC Black Shady Hat 11.esp

WerneBarterMod.esp

Regulator Mask.esp

No Quest Marker.esp

WerneAssassinArmor.esp

WerneSorrowsOutfit.esp

WerneMergedPatch.esp

Total active plugins: 202

Total plugins: 206

Yes, it's pretty big. And no, the game doesn't crash at all.

As a general rule of thumb, every time I make a change (install new mod or uninstall anything) I delete the old merged patch and make a new one and always put it last. I'm not using a whole lot or anything out of the ordinary (all are from Nexus Top Files section) -- FWE, MMM, EVE, Busworld, DC interiors, Undiscovered Capital, RH Ironsights, Darn UI, Enhanced Weather, More Map Markers, NMC's textures, and Fellout.

Game was fairly stable with just FWE, MMM, Darn UI, Enhanced weather, and Fellout. After I added the rest... crashes about every 5~10 minutes.

As I said, post your load order, I'll take a look at it and try to see what's wrong. And about the merged patch, yes, every time you add or delete one of the mods you need to make a merged patch.

The merged patch merges all the file lists, leveled lists, container content, NPC edits and race edits in order to reduce conflicts between mods. If you add a mod and don't make a new patch, lists and stuff from the patch will override that mod's lists. If you remove a mod and don't make a new patch, your game could crash because the patch might be using files from the mod you removed (aka, it's missing a master file).

And that's why a new merged patch is required every time you add/remove mods.

Edited by Werne