BOSS Problems.

xNodus

Lately I've been having some weird crap with skyrim, anyways, here's the problem:

When I run BOSS GUI and select skyrim, nothing happens.

And when I run BOSS(CMD) this is what happens...

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/782/2b25a599579749f891ef67b.png

After I read 'cannot be written to' I thought it might be related to it being installed on C:\Program Files, so I ran it as admin. It got rid of the 'can't be written to' error but the 'Skyrim.esm cannot be found' prevails.

Help?

It looks to me that BOSS either cannot find or cannot access your Skyrim.

Are you running a legal copy of Skyrim through Steam? If not, that would be the problem.

If so, are you also running Skyrim as an administrator?

Are you using the default location for Steam and Skyrim?

BOSS needs to be installed into the skyrim root directory.

either

HDD/programfiles/valve/steam/steamapps/common/skyrim

or

HDD/programfiles/bethesdasoftworks/skyrim

also as has been mentioned administrator rights will help connectivity between certain programs that need to access each other.

all the best

Enigma

It has always worked normally without any custom tweaking. All I did was install it to E:\BOSS and it worked. It always found my directory w/o problems. I'll try installing it @ skyrim's root folder.

Edit: No it didn't help at all.

Edited by xNodus

I don't use Wrye Bash, and mostly you don't need it (until you do, I guess....) but if you had been using it there is something else you would have needed to do.

I'm stealing part of my own post to someone else, because I think the links (well especially the videos) might help. Please don't be offended about the definitions, that was for someone who didn't know the acronyms.

NMM= Nexus mod manager. The program that will allow you to download and organize mods you download from the Nexus. Read about it here. or watch the videos.

BOSS= Better Oblivion Sorting Software. It started with Oblivion, but is now used here. Works to sort all mods regardless of if they are workshop or Nexus downloads. Read about it here.

BOSS and NMM work very well together.

You can use NMM with skse via the launch skse button on the NMM. Here is a

that can walk you through using them together (it has the updated install instructions for skse, with info about the pex files, and also using with NMM)

I use Wyre Bash, it's a good program with a little more functionality than NMM right now. But nothing came close to Elminsters Utility programs he made F03Edit which gave the player the function to go into the esp's and change everything but scripts...well object location data was a tough to change you only had cordinates but you could change everything plus fix mod compat yourself Sigh wish it exsisted for Skyrim.

Boss can be a bit fussie and as long as you keep up with your awareness on mod compatibility you really don't need it.

A key feature of Wyre Bash is it's Bashed Patch without that your bound to have a lot of stuff not functioning as intended, plus it has some functions that help you determine if your mods are even going to work together to begin with throw boss on that and you'll get more out of your game.

I just rename the original launcher to SL.exe and rename SKSE's to SkyrimLauncher.exe, have been using this method for around half a year. Also, now my load times are completely down the drain. They can be as long as 5 minutes and sometimes it doesn't load at all, and I'm only level 2 seeing as how I started a new game when I got hearthfire.

I love how no one thought of the answer. Anyways after some desperate google'ing, I found out it was because I never ran the game from the SkyrimLauncher and always from SKSE.

Thanks, shadowfx.

start the skyrim launcher and it will fix the problem. I had the same problem before.

I suppose a mod could close this thread.