CK: How can I group objects together?

volnaiskra

I have a shack I've constructed out of individual pieces (wall, roof, etc.). I have them all selected together, so I can move the entire shack around in one go. But when I try and scale the shack, each piece scales on its own vertex, and the pieces immediately start separating from each other.

How can I group the pieces of the shack together so that CK treats them as a single object? I searched on the official documentation site but couldn't find the answer.

One way this has worked for me in the past is to construct a building using individual components in Nifskope,starting with the largest mesh and copy/pasting meshes from other nifs.What you end up with is a single mesh that can be scaled at will in the CK once it has been imported to the CK.The only downside is that it is a bit time consuming in Nifskope.

How can I group the pieces of the shack together so that CK treats them as a single object?

Hullo, not 100% certain on this as I've only once put together a shack. But iirc, you can select multiple objects as you normally would i.e, hold down CTRL key and select the entire shack in the render window, then do the scaling up or down. The pieces scaled uniformly when I did this. Hopefully, it will work for you.

Hullo, not 100% certain on this as I've only once put together a shack. But iirc, you can select multiple objects as you normally would i.e, hold down CTRL key and select the entire shack in the render window, then do the scaling up or down. The pieces scaled uniformly when I did this. Hopefully, it will work for you.

Do you mean I should hold down Ctrl while holding down S to scale?

Or do you mean I should use Ctrl to select multiple objects, and then just use S (on its own) to scale? Because I've tried this, and although I can move and rotate the shack as one whole, when I scale it, each piece scales on its own axis and separates from the others.

Yes.

I'm not near my pc right now so can't check it out but it should scale every piece of the shack in a uniform way. You'll have to put the shack together first, of course, and make sure you don't miss any piece while selecting them.

Edited by nonoodles

Yes.

I'm not near my pc right now so can't check it out but it should scale every piece of the shack in a uniform way. You'll have to put the shack together first, of course, and make sure you don't miss any piece while selecting them.

? CTRL + S will save.

I don't really recommend scaling your buildings, the textures will start to look blocky quite fast - going beyond double size is definitely going to look odd (may be better with HD textures but not everyone has those). But if you do want to build "bigger", I would start by doing it from the ground up - put in your first piece (say, shackwall01) and scale it to your desired size. Then use CTRL+D (duplicate) + CTRL+F (search and replace) to change it to the next kit piece you need, and repeat, repeat, repeat. This way, all the pieces will have uniform size.

edit: Nonoodles - I understand and yes of course you can select a bunch of objects and scale them - but they will all scale centered on their own origin. I don't know of a way to change that.

Edited by acidzebra

? CTRL + S will save.

You're perfectly right. Which is what I meant by not being near my pc to check out. You can scale objects and yes, you can select multiple objects and scale them together. I'm just not sure how well it works for a shack.

Edit: lol, well OP now has three methods to choose from so that's good!

Edited by nonoodles

This part of the creation kit tutorial on layout may help you.

Thanks, but there's nothing there about scaling that I can see. It's all about kits with predetermined snap-to abilities so I don't think they'd recommend scaling in that section in the first place.

Yes.

Ok, I'll try alt-S and other things

? CTRL + S will save.

I don't really recommend scaling your buildings, the textures will start to look blocky quite fast - going beyond double size is definitely going to look odd....

Woah, noone said anything about double size. I'm just talking about a difference of 10-15% to make elements from one kit fit better with elements from a different kit (eg. shack stuff mixed with some mine stuff). And actually, I'm shrinking not enlarging.

Of course you're right about resizing from the beginning. Although of course you still need to resize every new type of element you introduce (floor, wall1, wall2, ceiling, frame1, door2, etc. etc.) which is a pain. Plus, as in my case, I didn't really know what exact size I needed the shack to be until it was mostly completed.

Anyway, I managed without the feature. It seems like there just isn't this feature in CK, which strikes me as a little bizzare. But then again, it is Bethesda, so maybe not that surprising. Oh well. Thanks for the responses.

• 4 years later...