I like Maven.

DeeJayVee92

I gotta tell this to people who play Skyrim, but I actually quite like Mavens character. I mean don't get me wrong she is a c*** but shes strong without it feeling fake, shes the sole reason the guild didn't die off by being the last influential player they had. She brings a tonne of money in and she just gets things done.

When she became Jarl I actually felt kinda happy lol.

Thoughts on Maven?

I actually don't care for most of the Jarls and find they are under used in the game. Like all of them are interesting on the surface but have little depth so you can't quite get to know them. Also I don't really like most of the replacement Jarls compared to the original ones. Jarl Balgruuf was my favorite and because of that I wouldn't side with the Stormcloaks. This round though I did cuz I wanted the home in Windhelm.

I actually don't care for most of the Jarls and find they are under used in the game. Like all of them are interesting on the surface but have little depth so you can't quite get to know them. Also I don't really like most of the replacement Jarls compared to the original ones. Jarl Balgruuf was my favorite and because of that I wouldn't side with the Stormcloaks. This round though I did cuz I wanted the home in Windhelm.

Mm, they did seem underwhelming, especially since reading cut things such as Jarl Balgruufs "son's" questline. Balgruuf is definitely pretty up there in my books, he doesn't rely solely on his advisers, he makes up his own mind using the knowledge he gets, cares about his hold, such as sending men to Riverwood even if it provokes the Jarl of Falkreath. Tried to be diplomatic with Ulfric, to find another solution.

It's funny how you change as time goes on though, when i first played this game I was pretty young, I played Stormcloaks because I love the patriotism and fearlessness of Ulfric but now I can't side with him because a lot of what he does seems so childish, like throwing a temper tantrum in High Hrothgar when things don't go his way. But I still respect his character in other areas, and I keep his uniform in my house every play through, I hate to kill him. I love that this game can invoke those emotions.

// Joined your discord btw.

Edited by DeeJayVee92

I also like her

She always carries some stuff thats worth coin around with her :smile:

..You know.. I've never tried to rob her. To be fair, pickpocket is the skill I use the least

Out of all the skills in Skyrim pickpocket is probably the most flawed anyway and theres no easy way to fix that

You can edit some values of how pickpocket is calculated but it stays the same from a gameplay perspective. It doesnt really reward you for doing it, so unless you "want" to play a pure thief-assassin (reverse pickpocket poison as primary weapon) theres no point in even bothering about it

Lockpicking does all the things pickpocket does but better and lets be real here.. there are easier ways to kill a target than craft a strong poison and sneak up on someone to place it just to realize that that person is imune to poison - not to mention majority of enemies in the game cant be pickpocketed .. so even if you want to you "cant" play a pure thief-assassin, you "need" some sort of secondary weapon that has nothing to do with your pickpocket and alchemy skill

Hope in TES6 (if it ever becomes a thing) pickpocket & alchemy will become a viable.. combat style. So far I find it pretty fun to pickpocket everyone and break out of prisons (altough Im still looking for a mod that makes a getaway more intresting than lockpicking (<- not pickpocketing a gurad, there you go again. Pickpocket is useless) the lock and kill 2 guards and then run away).. ... Nonetheless, its something diffrent that you usually dont experience in your game

Edited by Guest

Anyone who replaces Laila Law-Giver as Jarl of Riften is a saint in my book.

Tangential topic: Now that 8 years have passed I begin to find it a bit disingenuous on the part of the writing staff that most Stormcloak aligned Jarls are either senile (Skald), superstitious (Korir), incompetent (Leila) or despots (the entire Silver-Blood family). I don't think any of them can evoke the sympathy that Balgruuf or Elisif or even Idgrod can. Keeping the good Jarls in place while ousting the idiots is the single reason why I always end up siding with the Empire despite feeling the Stormcloaks have the better cause.