Load Times.

xNodus

Recently, this laptop and skyrim haven't been getting along at all.

First it was the CTDs (which were mostly fixed when I disabled Realistic Lighting, it still CTDs sometimes but not as frequently.

Afterwards I noticed the load times problem. I went as far as making a symbolic link so that the saves folder is actually in the Skyrim folder, thinking it would be fast... turns out it is fast but almost every 2 minutes I get a 45-second long freeze. Which also happens when saving/autosave'ing.

So... yeah, I'm f***ed.

loadorder.txt;

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
BlackTowerArmory.esm
LevelersTower.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
LIAT - Sounds.esp
Realistic Lighting.esp
Realistic Lighting Patcher.esp
banditraids.esp
Birdsofskyrim.esp
LIAT - NPCs.esp
sextoys-calyps-2.esp
skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp
Footprints.esp
BlackSacramentArmor.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
1nivWICCloaksCRAFT.esp
1nivWICCloaksNoGuards.esp
DCSorceress.esp
Dread Knight Weapon Set.esp
EternalShineArmorAndWeapons.esp
MashupUNP.esp
Scarves! Skyrim Edition!.esp
SkyHeels.esp
Tonas Oblivion Scarves.esp
BlackTowerUpdate.esp
Faster Woodland Creatures v1.2.esp
Headtracking.esp
Uncle Sheo.esp
SSAPBWK.esp
ShowRaceMenuAlternative.esp
Realistic crime report radius.esp
The Dance of Death.esp
Crimson Tide - Blood.esp
LunariRace.esp
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
PC Exclusive Animation Path.esp
PC Exclusive Animation Path - Elder Race.esp
Aries&Tombstone.esp
bouncy_belts_and_stockings.esp
bouncy_bodices_for_unp_bbp.esp
bouncy_booties.esp
craftwings.esp
AlynShirArmor.esp
mayatola CTV.esp
Reveal Skills.esp
Automatic Variants.esp

plugins.txt;

Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
BlackTowerArmory.esm
LevelersTower.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
LIAT - Sounds.esp
banditraids.esp
Birdsofskyrim.esp
LIAT - NPCs.esp
sextoys-calyps-2.esp
skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp
Footprints.esp
BlackSacramentArmor.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
DCSorceress.esp
Dread Knight Weapon Set.esp
EternalShineArmorAndWeapons.esp
MashupUNP.esp
Scarves! Skyrim Edition!.esp
SkyHeels.esp
Tonas Oblivion Scarves.esp
BlackTowerUpdate.esp
Faster Woodland Creatures v1.2.esp
Headtracking.esp
Uncle Sheo.esp
SSAPBWK.esp
ShowRaceMenuAlternative.esp
Realistic crime report radius.esp
The Dance of Death.esp
Crimson Tide - Blood.esp
LunariRace.esp
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
PC Exclusive Animation Path.esp
Aries&Tombstone.esp
bouncy_belts_and_stockings.esp
bouncy_bodices_for_unp_bbp.esp
bouncy_booties.esp
craftwings.esp
AlynShirArmor.esp
Reveal Skills.esp
Automatic Variants.esp

"Crimson Tide - Blood.esp"

I had many crashes with this one installed, and reading the comment thread on the nexus mod page it seems I'm not the only one. Try removing it and see if that helps (though I also note many others seem to have no problems at all). Some people suggest using the 1.5 version instead of the 2.2 - you could try that too.

"Afterwards I noticed the load times problem. I went as far as making a symbolic link so that the saves folder is actually in the Skyrim folder, thinking it would be fast... turns out it is fast but almost every 2 minutes I get a 45-second long freeze. Which also happens when saving/autosave'ing."

But that is something I have not seen.

Edited by acidzebra

I suppose I should say that I moved the save files back to My Games...

Thanks, zebra, I'll try removing it but I don't see how a texture replacer could be causing a problem. Then again, if it were just a texture replacer it wouldn't have an esp so I suppose there's some scripting involved. I'll try it and let you know.

Edit 1; GOD I HATE IT WHEN SAVEGAMES CAUSE CTDS. I HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN OUTSIDE HELGEN YET.

Edited by xNodus

The save games should not cause a slow down except when actually loading one - Usually a few seconds more or less loading a game isn't going to make that much difference.

I don't see much need for junctions if you have only one hard drive. Just moving things around on the same drive shouldn't have much affect on how fast they run. They can be handy to put some things on a second hard drive - and if you have enough RAM (more than 6G) possibly a ramdisk for the swap file.

As for Helgen - there are some mods that just don't get along with the tutorial part. Disable all mods until after you complete the tutorial (when you exit the cave) Then make a permanent save there before adding mods to keep from having to repeat the tutorial. I think there is a mod that allows starting after Helgen also.

Eh, I uninstalled everything except for the 4 main files of Skyrim, it went smoothly;

I added in Lunari Race and the rest of the ESMs (Blactowerarmory.esm,Levelerstower,esm,ApachiiHair.esm,RaceCompatibility.esm) and guess what? 45-second freezes are back. FML. I'll do what you say, I guess.

BTW, does this have anything to do with the fact that I almost never save from the menu?

Edited by xNodus

That freeze every 2 minutes could be your autosave. Autosaves are pretty notorious for causing crashes, freezing, corrupted saves etc. I have them disabled in the prefs.ini file, much happier. Sure you have to remember to save manually, but one or two times forgetting to do so, and you will suddenly find a system to remember, if you are anything like me!

If you decide to try disabling autosaves, your find these lines in your prefs ini and make sure the values are on 0

bSaveOnPause=0

bSaveOnTravel=0

bSaveOnWait=0

bSaveOnRest=0

fAutosaveEveryXMins=0.0000

(Of course make sure you have a backup of your prefs.ini before changing anything....)

Actually I followed what you guys said;

Now I'm midway through BFBarrow and it takes about 30 seconds to load... I can live with that.

On another note, I have 16GB RAM on my desktop, but I feel that it's useless. I mean the game still crashes and everything, and it gets laggy when I enable any ENBs. Does this have anything to do with my GFX Card? Is it outdated? I have a 1GB RadeonHD 5570.

Also, does anyone know a fix for this http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3527/92bb3cbe56be4579b95f2f5.png other than setting Textures to High?

I have two 5770s with crossfire and can run the game on ultra@1920x1080 at around 60 fps, adding ENB will make it drop to 40-50 and dip below 30 in complex areas. 40-50 is okay but not buttery smooth, below 30 is just awful and ruins gameplay. I'm not ready to invest in a newer graphics card yet :)

I found I can get most of the ENB goodness without the lag by running this godray only ENB http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/20470/ and judicious use of imaginator http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13049 - I personally don't like DOF effects but Dynavision could sort you there if you want it http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12525 - finally you could add some lighting mods to round it all off.

You also want the skyrim configurator to tweak your ini files to find that sweet spot between performance and quality

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/814

Experiment a little - it took me a while to find settings I like.

Don't have these weird texture problems though - is that happening with vanilla?

I just wanna kill myself. It started CTDing again. Why does this happen to me :wallbash: :wallbash:

You've pretty much disabled all mods and started a new game yeah - so vanilla or close to it? Are you running insane .ini settings like loading 9 ugrids? Have you tried deleting skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini and starting the launcher to let them regenerate? (and making a backup of these files beforehand)

Edited by acidzebra