Smoking?

tavtav

I noticed NPCs were smoking, animations, particle effects and the whole works. When I became an alcoholic it was a sudden reminder to all the addiction rules from fallout 1 & 2, so I naturally tried to click on a pack of cigarettes, but to no avail! I'm sure this is a legal thing, but I would seriously love a mod that:

Adjusts packs of cigarettes to be consumables with temporary effects like drugs or alcohol and addiction.

Adjusts cartons of cigarettes to be able to be broken down into packs.

Hooks up the cigarette animations etc. when a character is enjoying the effects of a cigarette.

Thoughts? :D

I don't know about an animation, as when you drink alcohol or use drugs there is no animation, but I do think it would be cool if we had another thing to add to our aids. But what would the effects be? Maybe it increases your Charisma at the cost of some health?

A cigarette as an equippable "clothing" item ala glasses/hats, perhaps? Have it stick out of the PC's mouth at an angle and, if possible, have a wisp of smoke trailing off the end? Just brainstorming here; I've got no modding skills and it probably can't be done until the/a CS becomes available anyway...

Having the cigarette in the player's mouth while the buff lasts seems like it'd be doable... as for effects, I'm not a smoker but this is what the intertoobz told me:

Nicotine can act as both a stimulant and a sedative. Immediately after exposure to nicotine, there is a "kick" caused in part by the drug's stimulation of the adrenal glands and resulting discharge of epinephrine (adrenaline). The rush of adrenaline stimulates the body and causes a sudden release of glucose as well as an increase in blood pressure, respiration, and heart rate. Nicotine also suppresses insulin output from the pancreas, which means that smokers are always slightly hyperglycemic. In addition, nicotine indirectly causes a release of dopamine in the brain regions that control pleasure and motivation. This reaction is similar to that seen with other drugs of abuse-such as cocaine and heroin- and it is thought to underlie the pleasurable sensations experienced by many smokers. In contrast, nicotine can also exert a sedative effect, depending on the level of the smoker's nervous system arousal and the dose of nicotine taken.

Interesting, tavtav. As for in game effects, 'stimulant' could mean something like a boost in AP for a short while, but if you take a lot (and become addicted) it could 'sedate' you, lowering AP unless you keep using it.

I'm not sure how the stimulant vs. sedative effects work, I'll ask my brother who's a doctor. Plus, there's plenty of gamer smokers at work I can ask about it today! lol

I did read that the acute effects of the cigarette is short-lived, which is why people chainsmoke, etc. which could be reflected in-game by a short buff duration, but a pack contains a lot of uses (compared to say, beer etc), leading to an item that is, in game terms, very easily addictive.

Ooh, there could even be a way of randomizing how many are left in a pack when they're looted alone and not pulled from a carton! :D

This sounds like it would be nifty. I too was disappointed when I found smokes all over the place and couldn't fire one up. Mightn't it be better to break the packs down into cigarettes or something? I dunno anyone who smokes em by the pack. Regarding effects, as a smoker I don't really feel much noticeable when I have a cigarette, it's mostly when I DON'T have one that it becomes noticeable. I'd suggest a very small bonus to speech or maybe barter (those smokes seem to to be a bit of a sign of wealth in the wastelands) and perhaps a minus one to charisma and intelligence under the effects of withdrawal. Impatience and short temper are guaranteed to the jonesing smoker. Can't really see it affecting AP though, unless its some pretty whacky tabaccy.

One thing I could foresee as a problem with this mod is the way the game seems to handle inventory.

You have Cartons of cigarettes and then packs.

You want to smoke one cigarette from the pack, the game has no idea how to handle this, it will attempt to use the entire pack and then of course consume it, it doesn't appear to have a way to track uses of the items.

You would have to have 20 cigarettes come from 1 pack, and 10 packs from 1 carton, meaning, use a carton, and it puts 10 packs in your inventory, then use a pack and it puts 20 cigarettes in your inventory, then use a cigarette and profit.

I think a way to get around this slightly, would be by cheating and making 20 new items.

Full Pack of Cigarettes, Pack of 19 Cigarettes, Pack of 18 Cigarettes, etc etc, down to 1 and when you use that it disappears.

Problem with that is of course then you end up with alot of items in your list.

A partitive mod would have to be made to allow the partial consumption of items and a built in way of tracking it without filling the inventory with multiple items.

I like the idea

*in the addiction part i cant help since it is a particularity of the FO series (and ive only played FO3)

*i dont agree with the animation part of the idea since drinking and drugs dont have an animation

and would be to annoying (i would like my characters to be the ones that take a cigarette in the middle

of some ass kicking session and have it hanging in theyre mouth all the time till its over)

*with the all above being taken into account...u can do like tavtav said instead of a full animation

(if this were oblivion...that would be a summoned accessory triggered by an usable items)

*mrcarver... i know a bit begginer programming and i dont see why cant the game cant handle it.

rather than having all that complex "partitive mod" and tracking coding (which is long, complex, difficult to understand

and would waste valuable processing power),

u could make multiple items with different names.

in this mod u would make lets say 5 items:

"the carton of cigs" (already in game)

"pack of cigs"

"3/4 of a pack of cigs" Or "pack of cigs (10 out of 12)"

"1/2 of a pack of cigs"

and so on...

then u would turn the carton into a usable item that adds "x" amounts of packs to the inventory

and make the pack a usable item that buff the player and adds 1 of the item "3/4 of a pack of cigs"

(or whatever it is called) and so on till u get to the last item that would only buff u. The very game

keeps track of the cigarettes since it tends to stack up items without any extra coding...

so this mod is pretty possible if we had a FO3 CS (it can be done on oblivion)

the only problem i "foresee" is making a new addiction so that the game knows

that you're addicted to smoking and not to drugs or drinks

The only major problem would be if Bethesda doesn't take a CS for FO3

(in this case it looks like the oblivion tools are gonna be adapted to FO3 by modders)

and sorry for my essay post

Well for these Kind of things i wish it was a bit more like the gothic series ... Npc (and you too) could play music, drink, smoke, use a forge. That was really life like to see people gather around a campfire doing all that while another was making a stew.

It's not likely to happen while the cs is not out and it may even require fose to be finished...

Archived