Difficulty of Classic

gamefever

Playing Normal Ironman is a joke.

Playing on Clssic Aliens have to many buffs.

-High Accuracy makes cover kinda of a non issue for aliens I'd say it's something like +10% but forum posters at 2K are suggesting higher

-Their higher health should have been where it stopped

-Starting Recruits have 4 health wtf

-Starting recruits have 5% less accuracy??

Things I like that they did with Classic

-More aliens

-Less help at start

-No OTS <--Thats a big head start

Generally I think the Accuracy of Aliens is set way too high.

There should just be more aliens and Xcom starts with less stuff

PS

Hope someone cracks open the ability to mod in new resources I'd like to design some armor

Difficulty balance for units in classic is as follows :

(or at least the part I could find)

BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_None,				iDamage=0,iCritHit=0,  iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Civilian,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=0,  iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Soldier,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=0,  iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=-1,iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Tank,				iDamage=0,iCritHit=0,  iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Sectoid,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Floater,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Thinman,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Muton,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=2, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Cyberdisc,		iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=4, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_SectoidCommander,	iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=4, iMobility=0,iWill=25)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_FloaterHeavy,		iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=2, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_MutonElite,		iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=10,iHP=0,iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Ethereal,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=25)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Chryssalid,		iDamage=2,iCritHit=10, iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Zombie,			iDamage=2,iCritHit=10, iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_MutonBerserker,	iDamage=1,iCritHit=10, iAim=0, iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Sectopod,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Drone,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=2, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_Outsider,			iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=10,iHP=2,iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_EtherealUber,		iDamage=0,iCritHit=10, iAim=10,iDefense=0,iHP=0, iMobility=0,iWill=0)
BalanceMods_Hard=(eType=eChar_BattleScanner,	iDamage=0,iCritHit=0,  iAim=0, iDefense=0, iHP=0,iMobility=0,iWill=0)

So yeah, +10 aim for most aliens, and also +10 crit chance.

Soldiers also have -1 health indeed, but no change in aim.

These values can be changed easily (see "first step" post)

Edited by PepprmintButler

• 2 weeks later...

I've just posted two new mods which fix this to varying degrees:

Normal Point Two

This makes Classic just like Normal except with full AI, and more aliens can attack at once. It doesn't change anything else (like intercepting Abduction UFOs).

Normal Point Five

This strikes a balance between the Normal and Classic difficulty levels by taking all of the numeric changes (aim and crit bonuses, funding penalties, etc) and cutting them in half. It'll be a little harder than Normal, but a little easier than the original Classic.

Comments welcome!

-taleden

I agree with game fever the aliens in classic never miss even if you are in full cover and yet we miss the more or less always. Changing the ini doesnt seem to make a great deal of difference either.

I played the game from USA launch on Classic start to finish. Then when Dreadlein brought out the excellent injector I replayed it with modifications to the ini to combat the poor gameplay experience I had on Classic and IMO there was little change. They missed once in a blue moon and in full cover I still got crited and they rarely got hit. The only solice is that in week one of release I finished on impossible mode something I found had no real enjoyment factor at all really as it usually was a case of shoot alien fall back shoot alien fall back etc etc.

The final part of the game was mega hard on impossible and as the mobs can only be drawn out with great difficulty attacking all the uber etherials in one place is not possible to win