NWN2 Facelift Progress Thread

Xaltar

To say the truth, I have TONS of questions I'd like to ask, but since this is your "mod progress" thread, I don't want to go too much off topic.

In case you were going to open a tech thread about this, please, let me know! I could write there all my questions and everyone could read your answers. If not, tell me and wait for a PM! :thumbsup:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel free to ask here, likely most if not all your questions will have something to do with how I made this mod ;) I would prefer to keep this to one thread.

Ok, so, let's start with something general.

1) which version of Max and Zbrush are you using? I've heard there are plug-in to export meshes from the game, but that they don't work with Max latest releases. I use 2013 version, with subscription, which means that, as soon as 2014 will be available, I'll get the automatic update. Is there a way to export meshes also in 2013 version?

2) it seems to me you have also retexured those heads. Are you painting directly in Zbrush and then rearranging texture in Max or are you creating the texture in Max, after converting to low-poly?

3) those textures are wonderful... which is your experience in painting? Just to know how much work I should do before obtaining something decent! :tongue:

1. I use 3dsmax 2011 and the tools work fine for me. I use Tazpn's 3dsmax tools. As for Zbrush I use 3.5

2. I create my textures after unwrapping UVs in 3ds max before I export my low poly into Zbrush and then I tweak the uvs on the new low poly in 3ds max after export from Zbrush to remove any ugly texture stretching my sculpting may have caused.

3. I typically build my textures in layers, starting with a base skin tone, then adding defects like darker spots, noise and a few other little details to create a decent skin-like look. Once I have my base skin tone I then render set up a basic 3 point light setup in 3ds max and render to texture with shadows and lighting. I overly my shadow map on top of my skin base in paintshop pro 7 (been using it since it came out and never bothered to change to PS seeing as I know PSP better). This starts to give me something resembling a texture and gives me an idea of where the details need to be. From there I go to my reference folder (pictures I have collected of faces, eyes, skin etc over the years) and start adding overlays to sharpen up the details. I use photo sourcing in conjunction with hand painting and multiply/overlay/lighting filters to create a high quality texture. Once I am done with my basic texture I then use my normal map that I baked to add in some shading where the normal map has deeper folds and creases to make the normal map pop. It has taken me years to develop this process and I have drawn on numerous tutorials and advice from more experienced modelers that I have come to know on various 3d art sites I frequent.

Its a lot of work and takes a long time to learn but well worth the effort and not impossible at all if you stick to it ;)

:wacko: Ok, I'm officially shocked! The work is HUGE! The result is stunning, though. But I'm afraid I'm far less skilled than you in creating textures like this. :_( (hey, why there isn't a crying emoticon on this forum? We can't live without a crying emoticon!)

I was considering to learn Mudbox. Do you think Zbrush is a better choice? In case, why?

I do like Zbrush but the last revision of mudbox I used was hugely inferior to zbrush at the time. I don't know what its like now and I don't like changing tools ;)

On whose face are you working at the moment? I can't hide my curiosity about Casavir. I hate Casavir with all my heart, but I must admit that I've never understood why they made a paladin (= high charisma) so ugly and so totally lacking personality. So maybe you could be the one giving that poor man a hope :tongue:

OK just thought I would post a correction to an earlier statement, the triangle count of my heads range from 3000 to 4000 triangles depending on facial hair etc. When I checked last I forgot to check only show statistics for selected, so it also counted all the triangles in the collision meshes and bones lol. So basically my heads are about double the triangle count of the originals, well within acceptable for today's standards. I will put the figures up in the description for those interested.

Ah dang that head looks awesome. I suppose it's half-orcs that are next?

Btw, any chance you could consider making a longhair braided hairstyle like those from Skyrim, for men? Because those look awesome. Ponytails and other Medieval appropriate hairstyles are cool too. :tongue:

Keep up with the good work. :)

Edited by deserkda

Yup the half orcs are what I am working on at the moment. I am still working on the hair pack too, it is taking me a while because I am not too familiar with creating hair models, especially with only a 1bit alpha channel, it makes it hard to create smooth looking transparencies. I am quite pleased with my new orc design, it fits a lot better with the NWN concepts and does not use my orc concept I created for my Dragon Age module :)

I will try and post up some more regular updates here now that I have my internet back :)