Do you prefer quest/adventure mods lore friendly or not?

Pherion

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer quest/adventure mods lore friendly or not?

• YES! It must be always lore friendly!
    • I prefer lore friendly mods, but if it isn't and if it looks good, I'll play it!
    • I don't mind aslong it's good.
    • I hate lore friendly mods.

I wanted to do this poll just to see on what people are truelly much more interested in seeing on quest mods. Does the majority wants lore friendly quests or they don't mind the modder creating some entirely new place.

I've always wondered this question, and since I hope to make a quest mod soon, I wanted to see what the majority would want the most.

So, if you don't mind to waste a few seconds of your time to leave a vote on the poll, please do vote. :)

I don't know how long I'll keep it active, but maybe a few days. We'll see. :)

I wanted to do this poll just to see on what people are truelly much more interested in seeing on quest mods. Does the majority wants lore friendly quests or they don't mind the modder creating some entirely new place.

I've always wondered this question, and since I hope to make a quest mod soon, I wanted to see what the majority would want the most.

So, if you don't mind to waste a few seconds of your time to leave a vote on the poll, please do vote. :)

I chose the second option, however, I'm using a wide interpretation of "looks good".

I definitely favour mods that adhere to TES lore, or, at the very least, don't conflict with it. I'm not dogmatic about that point, but if a mod clearly doesn't fit with the rest of the setting (for instance, mods that are based on a very different published work, or that horrible-looking body mod in the Leather Ninja Gear screenshot), I'm not going to have much interest in it. I have no interest in making Skyrim into a completely different world.

That said, I don't mind downloading mods that add to the lore without conflicting with it, even if they have nothing to do with the original story or setting. So, a mod that takes you to a new worldspace/continent very different from Tamriel is fine, provided that it doesn't try to rewrite the history of Nirn. The Underdark mod for Oblivion was great, even though it was based on a concept developed for Forgotten Realms, because it was easy to imagine that this hidden world could exist under Cyrodiil. Hell, I'd even be okay with alien spaceships flying around and crashing in Skyrim - who's the say what's out there, right?

However, I don't download mods purely because they "look good" from a cosmetic point of view. In my opinion, the way something looks is always secondary to the new features, content, and mechanics it brings to the game. I'm not going to download a mod that conflicts with the lore, just because it's shiny.

that horrible-looking body mod in the Leather Ninja Gear screenshot

What is up with that one anyway? I wanted to check out the mod page just because it looks so incredibly out of place but it says "under moderation".

As for the main question, if we're talking quest/adventure, if it looks to be a fun one, I don't mind if it takes a few liberties with or even ignores lore.

If it is a mod which adds/replaces content then I usually only grab it if it doesn't turn skyrim into something completely different.

I chose the second option, however, I'm using a wide interpretation of "looks good".

I definitely favour mods that adhere to TES lore, or, at the very least, don't conflict with it. I'm not dogmatic about that point, but if a mod clearly doesn't fit with the rest of the setting (for instance, mods that are based on a very different published work, or that horrible-looking body mod in the Leather Ninja Gear screenshot), I'm not going to have much interest in it. I have no interest in making Skyrim into a completely different world.

That said, I don't mind downloading mods that add to the lore without conflicting with it, even if they have nothing to do with the original story or setting. So, a mod that takes you to a new worldspace/continent very different from Tamriel is fine, provided that it doesn't try to rewrite the history of Nirn. The Underdark mod for Oblivion was great, even though it was based on a concept developed for Forgotten Realms, because it was easy to imagine that this hidden world could exist under Cyrodiil. Hell, I'd even be okay with alien spaceships flying around and crashing in Skyrim - who's the say what's out there, right?

However, I don't download mods purely because they "look good" from a cosmetic point of view. In my opinion, the way something looks is always secondary to the new features, content, and mechanics it brings to the game. I'm not going to download a mod that conflicts with the lore, just because it's shiny.

Thank you for your vote and comment. What I meant with "looks good" I meant with exactly that. All the new places and features the mod brings, not just graphical. Maybe I've should explained it a little bit better on the poll. :P

But your comment is great. :)

Lore-friendly. I want my quests and additions to actually bet set in the game world (definitely Nirn, preferably Tamriel). It doesn't really matter so much what it is, just work it into the lore and history of the world. Of course, there's a difference between "lore friendly" and "strict lore", in that to me it seems like "lore-friendly" is anything that doesn't work against the established lore, is set in the same world, and can be reconciled with canon. It's a pretty broad classification.

But yes, lore, the closer the better. I don't download anything that looks out of place, because I want my game to stay a TES game. (And get off my lawn, whippersnappers. :P )

Lore-friendly. I want my quests and additions to actually bet set in the game world (definitely Nirn, preferably Tamriel). It doesn't really matter so much what it is, just work it into the lore and history of the world. Of course, there's a difference between "lore friendly" and "strict lore", in that to me it seems like "lore-friendly" is anything that doesn't work against the established lore, is set in the same world, and can be reconciled with canon. It's a pretty broad classification.

But yes, lore, the closer the better. I don't download anything that looks out of place, because I want my game to stay a TES game. (And get off my lawn, whippersnappers. :P )

Thank you for your comment. I have an idea for a mod that I hope to start working on it soon with another guy. But we aren't exactly ready to go on with it without doing this poll first. From what I see, people prefer more lore friendly to the game. Something that doesn't look "Alien" to the world. We aren't ready to announce the mod on the forums or anything of the sorts. But it's definetly going to involve making new towns and new lands. Places that don't exist or even mentioned in the lore of TES.

Lore is a very misunderstood concept. Which 'Lore' do you mean? My perception of lore? Your perception of lore? Some theoretical purist concept? - The Beth 'lore' has changed with each game to fit the premise of each game. As far as fantasy is concerned anything and everything is allowed - as that is the very definition of fantasy. If magic is possible, then so are ray guns. It's just another kind of 'magic'. (Ray Pistol = Small one hand staff/wand of fireball/lightning/total destruction. Possibly some obscure Dwemer/alien artifact. :tongue:)

Skimpy armor? Why of course there is some magic involved that allows the lightweight and more fashionable :whistling: female version to have as much protection as the heavier macho versions used by the guys. Fashion is kind of like lore - its in the mind of the beholder.

Anime? Again we have elves with pointy ears, Kajiit (big talking cats ) Argonians - (2 legged intelligent lizards) why not anime races too? My little Ponies? After talking dragons these are almost normal. They are obviously magical creatures similar to the faeries that don't seem to inhabit Skyrim (yet) :rolleyes:

Lore is what YOU want in YOUR game. If you don't think some particular mod fits your own personal concept of lore - then just don't use it and it can never affect your game at all. And if someone else does like it, that also cannot affect your game either. Who are you to say that a particular mod is - or is not lore for someone else. :thumbsup:

Lore is a very misunderstood concept. Which 'Lore' do you mean? My perception of lore? Your perception of lore? Some theoretical purist concept? - The Beth 'lore' has changed with each game to fit the premise of each game. As far as fantasy is concerned anything and everything is allowed - as that is the very definition of fantasy. If magic is possible, then so are ray guns. It's just another kind of 'magic'. (Ray Pistol = Small one hand staff/wand of fireball/lightning/total destruction. Possibly some obscure Dwemer/alien artifact. :tongue:)

Skimpy armor? Why of course there is some magic involved that allows the lightweight and more fashionable :whistling: female version to have as much protection as the heavier macho versions used by the guys. Fashion is kind of like lore - its in the mind of the beholder.

Anime? Again we have elves with pointy ears, Kajiit (big talking cats ) Argonians - (2 legged intelligent lizards) why not anime races too? My little Ponies? After talking dragons these are almost normal. They are obviously magical creatures similar to the faeries that don't seem to inhabit Skyrim (yet) :rolleyes:

Lore is what YOU want in YOUR game. If you don't think some particular mod fits your own personal concept of lore - then just don't use it and it can never affect your game at all. And if someone else does like it, that also cannot affect your game either. Who are you to say that a particular mod is - or is not lore for someone else. :thumbsup:

To me lore is history. History of a fantasy world and has rules. Just like you don't change real life history, I won't change fantasy history aswell. I have what I like to call "Realistic Fantasy", things need to be believable for me to like it. Fantasy for me has rules and is not so free. Sure, you can make up a ray gun for skyrim, but that would require an incredible cover story, studies, facts behind it to even make "sense". Pretty much like anything you decide to add to it. I don't like the logic: "It exists because it exists". Why did it exist? How was it made? In what year? And most of all do you think it would work? Do you feel it would work? Is it believable enough?

I love fantasy, aslong as it makes sense, aslong I can look at it and think: This could actually work, or this animal could really exist, or those dragons could perhaps exist(not talking precisely about skyrim dragons though).

Like I said, "Realistic Fantasy", it needs to be believable, and if your going to add something in then support it with studies and carefully detailed lore that would make someone think: "This is almost real" or "this could actually exist you know?". The more real Fantasy becomes, the better!

But ofcourse, it is only my opinion and my way of viewing and seeing fantasy obviously. You have a diferent view on it, just like probably many more do.

But what's great about opinions is that everyone can have their own and be alright right? ;)

I really don't think the OP, or anyone else, was trying to dictate what other people should or should not put into their game. The question here isn't "What's right and what's wrong?", but "How do you feel about quest/land mods that change or detract from the established history of TES?" He's asking a very pointed question for a very specific purpose: he wants to gauge people's downloading preferences before designing a new quest.

I certainly understand your point of view, particularly as it comes from the position of a forum moderator who has had to break up a few slap-fights between angry geeks on these boards. We are all going to perceive "lore" differently, depending on our experiences with this and other series and our personal preferences and expectations. And it is true that TES lore (in its broadest definition, which includes the appearance of the various races, their manner of speaking, etc.) does change from game to game.

Nevertheless, there has to be a bottom line in that definition, or the word loses its meaning altogether. Despite cosmetic changes made from game to game in the series, most elements of Tamriel's history have remained constant. For example, the Khajiit have always been referred to as a feline race. A mod that makes them into blue slime-monsters with tentacles, without giving a darn good reason for the change (and ideally altering in-game book references, etc. to match) conflicts with what has been a long-established and unchanging fact throughout the series. No one can (or should) say that it's a right or wrong decision, but since it's so out of place, and no explanation is offered for the change, most people would consider that lore-breaking. Imagine playing as one of those slime-monsters, and having one of the guards derisively refer to you as "cat". It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

Ultimately, I agree that people shouldn't try to force their perception of this concept on others, or dictate what they should or should not release. I do, however, think that there are certain established principles that can be universally interpreted as the "lore" of the series. If there weren't, then why would the Nexus offer "lore friendly" and "not lore-friendly" tags for files?

I voted that I prefer lore-friendly, but would still be willing to give an engaging quest a try. Bethesda has given a lot of effort to establishing the history in Tamriel. Although the lore may seem conflicting at times, especially as one proceeds from Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim, it establishes a framework that allows the player to suspend disbelief and enter the looking glass. A quest that is well-established within lore enriches the entire story. I hope that I get to add to the lore myself. Researching at the Imperial Library has been a real treat. You have got to love the huge amount of work that was done in the Morrowind days. Wish you luck, Pherion!