Soldier aiming progression

Gazzzz

offence is a good example: often the offence bonus given to the weapon, shows up on the F1 in-game stats but fails to add to the actual roll-too-hit percentage.

I'm pretty sure this is not true. The random rolls do seem to be affected by offense bonuses; my sniper rifles have +25 offense on them, and either it's working as it should or I've been getting really, really lucky.

hit F1.. take a look at the hit%

The bonus on offence is listed (+5, whatever) but then the too-hit percentile doesnt change.

e.g.

base too-hit 65%

Half cover - 20

Offence +5

Total too-hit = 45%

Whether or not the game ACTUALLY does what it says on F1 - no way to tell.

(edit - i only really just read that and realised you put a+25 too-hit on a sniper rifle...you're not the guy doing the "easier easy mod" are you ? ¬_¬ l)

I have noticed that pistols inherit offense bonuses from the primary weapon, though; my snipers have the same standardized stat progression as my other soldiers, but they're crack shots with pistols because they're getting the +25 offense from the sniper rifles. I tested it by switching out the sniper rifles for assault rifles and their accuracy dropped considerably, both displayed and in practice.

Yeah thats exactly the sort of thing I am talking about - people are out and changing individual weapons traits and *assuming* that they will work *for every weapon* - they dont... just because its in the .ini doesnt mean that modding the numbers produces an actual change "in game". They all need to be tested & verified in-game.

Its a bit like the iTime on items produced in engineering - the .ini has them all listed with build-times..but the "game" ignores those times for everything except for satellites.

Unfortunately, a lot of the time, the only way to "verify" a change is observable data.... but dont be tempted to simply swap a number in the .ini and run it out as a "New feature" or "change" in ones' latest MOD... it might not work.

thats all I'm saying.

Edited by Anbar

I've noticed the weapon offence bonuses taking effect, though I haven't noticed pistols inheriting primary weapon bonuses.

I'm just going to make a Marathon type gamestyle mod for standard levels as the Marathon option is currently bugged in second wave due to the need for 2 shards for some quest item.

(edit - i only really just read that and realised you put a+25 too-hit on a sniper rifle...you're not the guy doing the "easier easy mod" are you ? ¬_¬ l)

No, I'm not.

I standardized stat growth across classes and added accuracy modifiers to different weapon types instead, with lower damage weapons getting higher accuracy modifiers to make them a viable alternative in the late game. My snipers get bonuses to hit with sniper rifles to compensate for their inherently lower offense stat; vanilla snipers get +40 offense at Colonel, mine get +25. Because I enabled assault rifles and shotguns for all classes, I didn't want snipers to outperform everyone else with those other weapons, so it made sense to tie accuracy to the weapon instead of the class, since I had removed the class restrictions on two of the weapon types. My plasma sniper rifles give +15 offense and actually do less damage than their vanilla counterparts with the same total chance to hit, so no, I'm not making an "easier easy mod."

I have noticed that pistols inherit offense bonuses from the primary weapon, though; my snipers have the same standardized stat progression as my other soldiers, but they're crack shots with pistols because they're getting the +25 offense from the sniper rifles. I tested it by switching out the sniper rifles for assault rifles and their accuracy dropped considerably, both displayed and in practice.

Yeah thats exactly the sort of thing I am talking about - people are out and changing individual weapons traits and *assuming* that they will work *for every weapon* - they dont... just because its in the .ini doesnt mean that modding the numbers produces an actual change "in game". They all need to be tested & verified in-game.

Note that I mentioned "both displayed and in practice" explicitly, because I actually tested and verified this myself. I don't know who the hell you think you are, but the next time you find yourself assuming that I don't know what I'm doing, just shut up. I'm not stupid; I don't need somebody to tell me that things need to be tested to confirm they are working. It was the process of testing that revealed this behavior in the first place. I changed the offense modifiers on pistols and in the course of testing to confirm whether those changes actually took effect (amazing, I'm not an utter moron like you were assuming) I noticed that their hit rate was consistent with the offense bonuses from their primary weapon instead of the bonuses I tried to give to pistols.