Major stability issue

Prawicowiec

I've played New Vegas just after release, and i remember it being quite buggy and unstable, but what im going through now is unacceptable.

My New Vegas setup is:

DLCs:

- Old World Blues

- Lonesome Road

- GRA

- Honest Hearts

- Dead Money

Mods:

- Project Nevada

- Classic Fallout Weapons + DLC, DLC + PN, PN compatibility patches (now that i think of it maybe I should only use PN+DLC package)

- Weapon Retexture Project + GRA patch

- New Vegas Bounties I + II

- Mission Mojave - Ulimate Edition

I use NVSE obviously and my New Vegas .exe should be up to date (ill check it later)

The game crashes most of the times I try to load a state while playing. So essentialy every time i want to redo something important or simply die I have to restart New Vegas. I've been playing with most of my mods from the start, I just installed Mission Mojave to see if it fixes anything.

Are you also using the New Vegas Stutter Remover? When you load the game after installing it for the first time, it will create an .ini file that you can make edits to to see what helps you the best.

Also, if you're using autosave functions then they should be disabled. There's some kind of problem with them that causes the save file to become progressively more corrupted before the entire save is unplayable. In one of my saves, everything worked until I tried to save my game again, which just resulted in a CTD.

If you want to use autosave, I'd recommend CASM and CASM with MCM.

Edited by ma1025

I'll try NVSR. By autosave you mean quicksave too? I have problems loading any state no matter if its auto, quick or just normal (esc -> save game). I seems that I did too much during my journey and the save states are too big for the game to load twice without errors. I know for a fact that new vegas sucks when it comes to save optimization, for example, in freeside there are bodies of countless waves of thugs that were atacking me when I tried to enter The Strip. Is there a way to clean up a save state from crap like that?

Quicksaves are just as bad as autosaves, so you do want to avoid those. CASM has a "quicksave" hotkey that makes an actual save instead of using the game's quicksave feature.

To clean up dead bodies that won't go away for some reason you can open the console, click on them, and use the zap command.

GOD BLESS NVSR and its author

I was able to play for 3 hours without a single crash, plus the framrate went up and I no longer need to use VATS. I knew about NVSR earlier but I thought it was just a performance tweak with no influence on stability. Thanks for the tips.