A very specific brownface bug (CK noob)

I just picked up the CK a week ago or so to do some personal edits to NPCs (since NPC Editor etc. didn't work anymore). Minor cosmetic changes to NPCs and followers, a new hairstyle etc.

On the way I already learned how to esm'fy esps (for hairdos and an elf beautifier) and that to get around the usual brownfacing I have to select the edited NPC and hit ctrl + F4 to export the facegen data. This much is working so far - with one exception: Jenassa. It's driving me nuts, but only Jenassa is reverting back to her original, but brown head regularly after a while, I have no idea what causes it, after a lot of trial and error I get my customisation working again, then I leave her alone for a while, maybe try out another (non-NPC related) mod, come back and there she is again with her default head, only all brownfaced.

As far as I can see Jenassa is the only follower or NPC with this problem, I also travel with another dark elf all the time and she's not affected, so I'm really clueless what is happening here. Any clue where I can start looking for a cause?

Edit: This can have all kinds of causes, it might very well be an issue with Vortex, not the CK (so yes, I'm using Vortex) - I just have no idea where to start looking. for completeness, there's no conflict anywhere with other mods, at least nothing Vortex would detect and no file overwrites.

Edited by casadechrisso

Have you tried SSEedit for this?

Just load it and select all. If you've got loads of esp files it'll take a while.

Then click on your mod and 'apply filter to show conflict losers'. Again, if there are a lot this could take some time.

You can save time by selecting just the mods that you think may affect Janessa but be aware that sometimes people may have edited her when it seems unlikely.

There's always the possibility of a wild edit, although this shouldn't be the case if the author has properly cleaned their mod... it does happen.

Loading the lot is safer if SSEedit doesn't crash. (I've never had it crash but I only have 60-odd mods.)

Find janessa in the actors section and scroll across to see if your esp is losing to one of the others.

P.S. there's no such thing as a silly question on this forum! CK is baffling to people who've used it for years, at times. You're not a noob!