Crash Near Markarth

rjbudz

This is weird. My game crashes anytime I try to enter an area east of Markarth. This is a new problem as I have been there before. I re installed the game from scratch (not a small undertaking, downloaded from Steam on DSL) after cleaning out the registry. Still no fix. I even disabled ALL of my mods. Nope. As far as I know, this is the only place it happens. I don't know if this is relevant, but, Sanuarch Mine does not show up on the map.

Other than this, everything seems to be working fine. I am using SkyUI so have the latest SKSE installed. But even running it from the SkyrimLauncher.exe (Vanilla) it crashes.

Anyone have a guess?

It is probably

1) a corrupted save file

2) a mod issue.

The steps you have taken so far, alas, really would not address these. Sorry I know that wa a lot of time spent!

This is what I would recommend.

1) If you have not already, download and run BOSS. Address all of the messages it gives you and manually place properly any mods it does not recognize.

2) If that doesn't solve it, I think you will need a complete clean reinstalll. SO that would mean doing what you did before, but also:

Deleting all files that the steam Delete Local Content does not, including all of your savegame files, anything left in the data files that steam left behind. (leave the folders but delete the contents)

3) then cleaning the registry as you did, shutting off your computer completely to clear the cache, and then reinstalling the game.

4) After reinstalling make sure to also verify your game files integrity.

5) Start over with a new game, new character, no mods. Add mods slowly after Helgen, 1 or two at a time, after reading all of the mod description and readme, and install exactly according to the mod authors instruction. Run BOSS, read the log, address any issues and play a bit before adding the next few.

I know this may sound drastic, but unless it is a mod load order issue, my thought is that the steps you have already taken would make it very hard to fix something like a loose script from an incompletely removed mod you had before your tried the reinstallation before, or a corrupted savegame that has been reintroduced after your reinstallation. In the long run, I believe the steps I recommend will save you time and frustration.

However, if you are not willing to do that, after running BOSS, you could try looking for loose script files, basic mod troubleshooting in case it is still a mod that you have, and starting a new character to isolate if it is a savegame corruption.

Good luck.

I checked save games back to level 14 and get the same crash. Prior to re installing, I copied my saved games to another folder and deleted all the folders and files in the Skyrim Folder, so left no over scripts.

I will get BOSS and see about a mod loading order problem.

There is another option I didn't think of until reading your response: Just ignore it and keep playing. I'm at level 48 now, so I really don't want to begin again. As long as this is only an issue local to that area, and it doesn't have any effect on the main quest (anybody know?) I'll just keep going.

I will use your suggestions when I do start over.

Thanks so much for your response.

... And no Squeecky it isn't in a swamp. Steep mountains all around with a river cutting through a gorge.

Edited by rjbudz

Bump! Got the same problem. Trying to reinstall all mods.

edit: It didn't help.

Some mods add sth permanEntly, to get rid of some of em you would have to uninstall em using nmm or sth li3k dat, can you please give me your modlist, pc and system spec? (you can copy modlist from boss html report, that would be best... if it is too long for post try services like paste.it or sth)

H4LP! Skyrum, wat u doin', Skyrum! St4ph!

CTD! : >

Edited by Entainel

No better males, but I uninstalled OPEN CITIES when was in Markarth stables (they work just fine in cities!) and it helped. I even moved further to the bridge with few forsworn, killed them and moved to the hut next to the bridge. Now I am planning on installing open cities again, and leaving the hut after 48 (ingame) hours. This could help.

Usually a crash in a particular area is related to something that was removed from the game - a removed mod that put something there that is important to the game itself and is locked into the saves. Often it manifests when you look in a specific direction.

I found this out playing Oblivion when I was able to back into an area, but as soon as I turned around it crashed. By turning in small increments - both directions I was able to zero into a specific compass heading (azmiuth) - Playing with this I entered the area from another direction - again backwards and took another compass azimuth reading, then where the lines crossed was where the item had been. I then found a mod that added a game changing item in that location that I had removed. I loaded an old save that had that mod and was able to discover that it made a change at that exact location. The game was trying to load something that was no longer there. :pinch:

Most of the time the game can work around things that are removed when you remove a mod. But some mods add things that are game changing and it cannot compensate. :blush:

This is one reason I recommend making a permanent save outside of the Helgen cave with NO mods. As that gives you a clean place to troubleshoot from. There are some mods that have a problem with the Helgen start of the game. I recommend playing through the lame 'tutorial' with no mods. Making that save when you exit the cave, then adding any mods. This save is your ultimate fall back when you have problems.

The suggestion is to have a save without any mods as early in the game as possible to use for troubleshooting. You cannot do that with any alternate start as that is a mod itself. :rolleyes:

Happy that you found a fix that works. And yes, others who have the same mods should try that also. :thumbsup: