[REQ] Old style fallout stats and skills

Contralt

I know people have already made level cap mods but I really don't mind being stuck at level 20. What I do hate is the fact that all of my S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats are capped at 10 and my skills are capped at 100. Come to think of it, I can't remember if you could get your stats over 10 without using the radiation trick in Fallout 1. I do know your skills could go above 100 and usually with some nice results. In the later levels of Fallout 3 (especially given all the skillbooks) I'm now just dumping stat points into skills I'll never need. I haven't done the math, but I think it's probably possible to max almost all your skills which really takes away from any idea of character customization.

Anyways, sorry if someone has already brought this up. I was just curious if anyone was working on a mod like this.

There is a thread on this on the GameSpot forums. Link here.

Using perks and books, it is possible to max out all your skills. The drawback is that you don't get to choose as many of the really fun perks, and it requires careful leveling and knowledge of where to find all the books and bobble heads.

As far as I know, it's impossible to max out your SPECIAL without cheats.

I am actually working on a long list of concepts that I believe can be translated into the world of FO3 to make this already fantastic game a true masterpiece of wasteland survival. This concept of all FO3 characters being experts in all areas was the very first idea that made me want to start looking into modding the game. Below is the part of my master document dealing with skill points and my suggested solution.

============

Real World Concept: No one is an expert at everything. Every character should have UNIQUE strengths and weaknesses!

Corresponding Game Mechanic: By level 20, most characters will be experts or even maxed in 6+ skills in the game. Allegedly, it is even possible to max ALL your skills by level 20 with some careful planning of INT, perks, and books--see link here. Reduce the effectiveness of each skill point by 1/3, and raise the 100 skill point cap to 300. Under these adjusted numbers, a character with a skill of 300 would be just as likely to succeed at a task as a character with a skill of 100 in an unmodded game. Lockpicking an "easy" lock would require a skill of 75 rather than 25, etc. Players now have to pick and choose which skills they want to be experts in rather than just becoming experts in everything. Using skill point maximization techniques under this new system would give a character about 4 maxed skills with a few extra points in other areas.

============

Unfortunately, I have zero background in coding or game modding, so it is unlikely I will be able to implement this myself. Have any modders out there created something along these lines yet? Anyone willing to take a shot at building something like this?

Archived