WHy is the console such a taboo ?

devilrejected

I use the console for three reasons....Aesthetics, Quest items from quests I won't do and some changes to the story I am unhappy with in vanilla.

The Aesthetics: Such as the Ebony Arrows because I like the visual appearance of the quiver....Money for such things as the Mod Bow I like the look of, so my Dovahkin can purchase it immediately.

Quest Items: I don't play Mages, so don't join the College and as such am unable to access the Gauldur Amulet...I have a mod that imbues the Amulet with some percentage protection against magic, perfect for a non Mage....so I console it....Same with the DB, I won't do the DB quest but a modder has done a very nice retexture (aesthetics) of the Steel Crossbow for the DB....I console it.

Story Changes: I console set the TG members to all non essential, console command the Cistern door open and my Dovahkin goes into battle and wipes them all out.....they put up a great fight actually.... :biggrin: ....one of the best fight sequences in the game....We get to wipe out the DB in Skyrim (long waited for and wished for since Oblivion) so why not the TG also... :tongue:

I do not feel I am cheating myself or ruining my own fun in any way by consoling these items or changes....in fact they add to my gaming pleasure...I wouldn't enjoy God Mode or Kill Opponent or any console commands along those lines as I enjoy the challenge of the battle, but each to their own.....You can't cheat in a SP game.

Edited by StayFrosty05

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The console is only taboo if you want it to be.

This. It's totally up to each user how they want to play the game; the Elder Scrolls philosophy. (Especially on PC.) Personally, I don't like using it just to give myself stuff, but I'm not really upset if I have to either. I don't mind either if others use it give their character everything, whatever boats your float.

As for Achievements, it's debatable if the console affects them or not. Some say any console use disables them, some say only certain commands, others say it doesn't affect them whatsoever. Personally, having even used additem sometimes, I've never seen them get disabled. Those that say they do get disabled say a simple save and restart fixes it, and most of all, there are mods around that will give you every achievement just to get them out of the way. So regardless of console use, there's no need to ever worry about achievements.

There is so much you can do with the console that has nothing to do with cheating and only furthers RPing and customization. These people wouldn't know anything about that though.

Taking good screen shots is impossible without being able to use the fly cam, freeze the action, turn off the menus, set FOV, toggle NPC AI ...

I use the console for three reasons....Aesthetics, Quest items from quests I won't do and some changes to the story I am unhappy with in vanilla.

The Aesthetics: Such as the Ebony Arrows because I like the visual appearance of the quiver....Money for such things as the Mod Bow I like the look of, so my Dovahkin can purchase it immediately.

As an archer, if you run out of arrows your pretty much f***ed. Using the console to give you arrows in a tight spot i don't consider cheating.

I know its an option but if you played the game several times i think its allowable to use the console afew times.

For bug fixes and camera adjustments, the console is essential and one of the reasons that Skyrim on the pc is superior, imo. As for the cheats, I believe the console adds longevity to the game. Once you've played the game the devs way, it may be time to explore the option to play it your way. So if, say, you think Maven Blackbriar should reap what she sows, you can make it happen. :) Just watch out that you don't mess up quest lines.

@RustyBlade : Thanks, I appreciate. Though I have tried that already, of course. At best, what I have is the quest ended properly but I won't have other quests from other Companions, as they will tell me that "Vilkas has given you some assignment, didn't he ? Come back when you're done with it". Errr, yeah, sure... Can't I just kill the guy and his whole family first ? That may soothe me a bit. May.

I will try something else but I really don't have time right now, maybe late November :/ I'll send feedback on the Nexus forums if anyone is concerned in the same way as I am.

some call it cheating the loosers usually others call it laterall thinking , ask diego maradonna or in his case the " hand of god " now tell me cheaters never prosper !

Bad analogy. Someone using a console is not cheating somebody else.

If the posters in the here will allow a dissenting opinion, I don't use the console except to turn off menus for screenshots, because it is cheating. I've only used it once, to add the Imperial Order right after I installed USKP, since my original was in Breezehome (which of course crashes at the moment). I feel guilty when I add mods that even add new weapons or armor, or any mods that don't make the game harder - anything that differs from how the game was originally sold, really. Imagine how bad I would feel adding more arrows or calming people down, or skipping quests, anything that actually affected the game.