Absolutely Lost with the upk.

Avernite

I have the extractor/ue viewer but I am confused as to what my command prompt should look like if i want to get into the upk file. :psyduck: I have both the extractor and the file in question on the desktop if that helps any. Is there a link to a step-by-step tutorial by any chance? :confused:

I have the extractor/ue viewer but I am confused as to what my command prompt should look like if i want to get into the upk file. :psyduck: I have both the extractor and the file in question on the desktop if that helps any. Is there a link to a step-by-step tutorial by any chance? :confused:

I feel your pain, it can be rough at first

if everything is on your desktop, it should go like this (For Upks with meshes and textures in them)

1. cd c:\users\avernite\desktop (or whatever the filepath to your desktop is

2. umodel -path=c:\users\avernite\desktop -export MaleKevlar_sf.upk (or whatever youre trying to get into)

that should dump everything in a folder on your desktop

If youre trying to get into files with scripts in them, which is what most of the threads here are about, you use the decompress tool on them then open them with UE Explorer

http://www.gildor.org/downloads its the one that says "unreal package decompressor" towards the bottom, just in case you don't have it already

so you put the decompress tool on your desktop then go

1. cd c:\users\avernite\desktop (whatever path to your desktop is same as before)

2. decompress -lzo MaleKevlar_sf.upk

then use UE Explorer on the new file, its here if you don't have it already http://eliotvu.com/portfolio/view/21/ue-explorer

hope that helps you out

edit: added some links and clarified some things because being totally lost in a modding forum sucks hard

Edited by Guest

You need to decompress first. for some files, namely XcomGame.upk and XcomStrategyGame.upk you need to run a command line (Easy shortcut is Shift Right Click->Open Comman line) and enter decompress -lzo XcomGame.upk (thats a lower case L)... then you can use UE Explorer (google it), and that will let you see the script files.

You can use the extractor to view files within the decompressed UPK, good for looking up HEX values in a single function before searching for those values in the decompressed UPK.

That is if you are messing around with the bytecode, as for the textures and such, i'm not the guy to show you haha.

It's always good to make backups of any files that you modify.

Some of the .upk files are compressed, so you'll need Gildor's Unreal Package Decompressor (decompress.exe) to decompress them.

Put the .upk file/s in the same folder as decompress.exe. Eg, C:\modding

Open a command prompt:

Start > cmd

Then type cd c:\modding

or

Hold shift and right click in the folder > Open command window here (depending on your OS I think, not sure)

To decompress XComGame.upk type:

decompress -lzo XComGame.upk

A new folder c:\modding\unpacked will be created containing the decompressed XComGame.upk file. You'll notice it has a bigger file size than the original.

Daemonjax has written a great example tutorial on where to go from there.

And the floodgates are open! :dance: Thanks guys! Now my next step will be making sense of all this. Im in XComGame.upk and this is gonna be frustratingly fun. :wink:

...Now i just gotta figure out how to edit this stuff effectively.

Edited by Avernite