Head bobbing?

Mansh00ter

It surprised me to see that Bethesda *still* hasn't included something as simple as this in their games, considering they are designed to be played from a 1st person perspective. Even more curious, as a baby you do get this effect when walking, but it goes away after that.

So is it possible to create a mod which would add head bobbing when walking? The current system, as usual, feels like my character is on rails...

Personally, I'm fine with not bobbing around. It's not something we consciously notice walking around; to us, walking feels smooth. A smooth camera motion simulates that to me, while the "It's like you're actually walking" cameras always felt forced.

Well, it's a matter of perception. To me walking does not feel smooth, it feels like it has a rhythm. I expect the same from a game which simulates walking. Seriously, both Morrowind, Oblivion and now Fallout 3 feel like my character is either having wheels instead of legs or is trying extra hard not to move his head one bit. I invariably end up tying to play in 3rd person view, but that's not the same.

There is a reason 90% of all first person perspective games have head bobbing. There is a mod which adds head bobbing to Oblivion, its subtle but the difference is massive.

Well, I just tried walking around, trying to pay attention for that, and either I'm weird, you're weird, or it's just a person-to-person thing. I'm inclined to believe the latter, but who am I to know? What I do know, is that walking feels perfectly smooth to me, and not something that has a bob or rhythm in it.

Here is a list of camera changes this game (and all other games SHOULD have):

- A momentum based camera sway.

- Camera shaking (accelerated by movement speed).

- Bobble effect.

- Gun and arm bouncing (minor not major movement).

This will make the experience much more immersive and will pull the player into the experience. I wish I knew how to do all of this, but I am researcing as muc as I can to literally kill the terrible Bethesda camera.

• 1 year later...
well i walked when i read this and i just barely notice it thinking about it makes you notice it the only other time i noticed it without thinking about it was when i was running my first marathon :P

• 3 weeks later...