Arrrghh at this UT engine !!!

tsanford01

Well the topic says it all..I've been at it from every point of view i can think of for the last 3 days. Getting game assets from .upk files is cake, but you cant repack them..they are linked to encrypted and streaming texture files with no way i can find to dump. So far i've tried direct memory dumps, hex edits, loading in UDK..Anyone got a fresh idea? I keep coming up with cryptic crap that is not useful.

Good luck guys

Yes as stated i have no problems with the upks can load them in 3DS or UDK whatever..just cant get the magic textures back in the box or find a way to load loose files. Thanks for your response tho ).. to clarify you can not add textures to the existing textures.tfc file Edited by tsanford01

Honestly no farther than with umodel. I can get the models with full textures one UPK at a time in scene but it still draws textures from the chartexture.tfc file.. What a pain in the a$$ and totally unneeded if it wasn't a console/mobile game as well it prob wouldnt have been done this way. If you load up texmod just to check offsets and sizes you will see before the first PC hits the ground there are 3-5k textures preloaded. Big pile of crap to dig thru.

That post made me chuckle,

Hey Tsanford have you by any chance, in your tinkerings with the game, figured out where the game pulls the armor meshes from? The thing Is that I would have thought they come from the files that look like Soldier_MaleKevlar_SF, right? The thing is that if you mess with those files, nothing changes in-game. Any Ideas?

Edit: Actually it seems like none of these mesh files do anything... You can just completely take them out, and they still show up in the game. Is there something I'm not understanding about how the Unreal engine works?

Edited by Guest

Well if nothing else at least the post was good for a chuckle ;)..I am pretty familiar with the Unreal engine. All the meshes are stored in individual UPK files like 'Body_Engineer_SF.upk' for example. It contains all the assets needed to draw an engineer including the 'bones' for animation etc. using the genius "Gildor"'s umodel tool you can extract all the file and with a plugin bring it right into 3D Studio Max where you can make it sing and dance...whatever. The problem comes in that all the textures are streamed in by the game engine from a file called chartexture.tfc i believe it is. The UPK holds only a small 64x64 place holder texture, thats it. It is possible with the same tool to get these textures and make some very lovely models in 3DS. The problem is there is no way to stream anything back into the texture files. I hope that answered your question.

Go here http://www.gildor.org/ this guy is great.

Sorry to keep editing my own post but had another thought..Here is a link for bringing in mass effect models step by step but the process is exactly the same. social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/104/index/3255953/1

Edited by tsanford01

Thanks for the info man, yeah I use gildor's tools to get the .psk files out of the packages, it's awesome.

The thing is that if you change the mesh around, or just take it out of the .upk file, then put the .upk file back into the CookedPCconsole folder, nothing changes in game. In fact if you just take out the whole .upk, nothing changes in game. I can't see why that would be happening. At the very least, the mesh that was taken out should stop appearing in game right?

Make sure you are grabbing mesh files. Nearly every file is a UPK as far as the Unreal engine is concerned meaning voices,morphs, lighting, etc...To be certain you are getting the desired changes i would highly recommend building it in 3DS first then repack it. Be aware that your file name must be exact and the only copy.

Also beware prerecorded scenes will contain the 'mesh' prerendered no matter what.

Edited by tsanford01

What I'm doing is taking the .psk file out of the .upk with gildor's tool, then importing it into 3ds with the ActorX plugin. Then I change some verts around in 3ds, export a .psk, then put the .psk back into a .upk file with the Unreal Development Kit. Nothing about the armor changes in game at the barracks view or on an actual mission (Pretty sure the same mesh file is used for both of those). I've tried changing the armor meshes in the Soldier_MaleKevlar_SF.upk, and Soldier_Makeskeleton_SF.upk, and neither of them creates a change in the normal, level 1 armor. Any Ideas?