construction set problem

oc3

Tried dragging objects from Stroti's kitchen tools into the object list under the statics tree. Also renamed them so as not to duplicate a name.

Thanks

I tried replicating this, to rule out any Windows 7 funkiness. I run Windows 7 64bit, and I do not have the CS in compatibility mode. I have my Oblivion installed in E:\Games\Oblivion\ . I have Stroti's kitchen meshes installed in \Data\Meshes\clutter\kitchenTools\

As you can see, I was able to drag the mesh successfully:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/439/staticmesh.jpg

So my question is: what is your folder structure for the meshes?

I've run into this a few times myself. The problem is usually that I'm trying to import objects into the wrong list (I.e. an animated object into Statics instead of Activators).

It's possible that the meshes are actually being imported, but they're just hard to find. As Hickory said, in order to proprly import them to the relevant list, said list must be selected and displayed (Statics, in the case of Stroti's Kitchen Tools). At the top of the list, there are names for the columns (Editor ID, Count, Users, Model, etc.). Between the "Editor ID" and "Count" columns, there is an expandable column for Form IDs. Expand it and click on it (specifically, click on the words "Form ID"). This will arrange the items by Form ID number from highest to lowest. Click on it again to reverse the arrangement. Any newly added meshes will have a Form ID starting with 01 (assuming the only .esm loaded with your mod is Oblivion.esm). If the desired meshes were indeed imported, they will appear at the top of the newly rearranged list.

Another test you can try is this:

1. Start a new plugin.

2. Try to import a mesh into an appropriate list.

3. Look at the top of the CS window. If there is an asterisk * next to the words TES Construction Set, this means something has been changed and you can use the Form ID trick I mentioned above to quickly locate the newly added mesh.

I tried replicating this, to rule out any Windows 7 funkiness. I run Windows 7 64bit, and I do not have the CS in compatibility mode. I have my Oblivion installed in E:\Games\Oblivion\ . I have Stroti's kitchen meshes installed in \Data\Meshes\clutter\kitchenTools\

C:\games\Oblivion\Data\meshes\Clutter\kitchenTools and Oblivion is installed in C:/games/Oblivion. I get the little plus sign when I drag into the object list but when I release the mouse button, nothing at all seems to happen. I have even tried to search for the newly created object using the 'find text' feature to no avail. Assuming it will be named same as the nif. Oh, I've also tried without comp mode on. This is probably something really simple that I am doing wrong because I've tried 'all' of the complex stuff...I think.:wacko:

The Vyper has offered another way to check to see if the objects have been added so I'm going to try that now...

I've run into this a few times myself. The problem is usually that I'm trying to import objects into the wrong list (I.e. an animated object into Statics instead of Activators).

It's possible that the meshes are actually being imported, but they're just hard to find. As Hickory said, in order to proprly import them to the relevant list, said list must be selected and displayed (Statics, in the case of Stroti's Kitchen Tools). At the top of the list, there are names for the columns (Editor ID, Count, Users, Model, etc.). Between the "Editor ID" and "Count" columns, there is an expandable column for Form IDs. Expand it and click on it (specifically, click on the words "Form ID"). This will arrange the items by Form ID number from highest to lowest. Click on it again to reverse the arrangement. Any newly added meshes will have a Form ID starting with 01 (assuming the only .esm loaded with your mod is Oblivion.esm). If the desired meshes were indeed imported, they will appear at the top of the newly rearranged list.

Another test you can try is this:

1. Start a new plugin.

2. Try to import a mesh into an appropriate list.

3. Look at the top of the CS window. If there is an asterisk * next to the words TES Construction Set, this means something has been changed and you can use the Form ID trick I mentioned above to quickly locate the newly added mesh.

Thanks Vyper for taking the time to write all that. I tried everything you suggested and nothing. I select statics and try dragging various meshes from Strotis Kitchen tools into the list view and nothing happens. I've tried other meshes too, it's not Strotis meshes that are the problem. This is with ONLY oblivion.esm selected. Never got an asterisk either.

Any more ideas? If not thanks again.

OC3

Thanks Vyper for taking the time to write all that. I tried everything you suggested and nothing. I select statics and try dragging various meshes from Strotis Kitchen tools into the list view and nothing happens. I've tried other meshes too, it's not Strotis meshes that are the problem. This is with ONLY oblivion.esm selected. Never got an asterisk either.

OC3

Hmm...I'm at a loss. Are you able to import meshes the long way? (i.e. right click in the appropriate list, select "New", navigate through Oblivion/Data/Meshes and select the mesh)

C:\games\Oblivion\Data\meshes\Clutter\kitchenTools and Oblivion is installed in C:/games/Oblivion. I get the little plus sign when I drag into the object list but when I release the mouse button, nothing at all seems to happen. I have even tried to search for the newly created object using the 'find text' feature to no avail. Assuming it will be named same as the nif. Oh, I've also tried without comp mode on. This is probably something really simple that I am doing wrong because I've tried 'all' of the complex stuff...I think.:wacko:

The Vyper has offered another way to check to see if the objects have been added so I'm going to try that now...

That is very odd. Are you able to drag and drop normally, outside of the Oblivion CS? In other words, do you have any 'Windows' issue with drag and drop?

Negative.....works fine.

From what you have said so far, there is no apparent reason why dragging should not work. You have no issues with Windows; you say you are dragging to a valid object tree. It just doesn't make sense. I'm stumped.

Negative.....works fine.

From what you have said so far, there is no apparent reason why dragging should not work. You have no issues with Windows; you say you are dragging to a valid object tree. It just doesn't make sense. I'm stumped.

Thanks for trying!

OC3

Hmm...I'm at a loss. Are you able to import meshes the long way? (i.e. right click in the appropriate list, select "New", navigate through Oblivion/Data/Meshes and select the mesh)

Yep, Doing it the long way works fine. That's the work around I'm using now. It's just more time consuming. I'll probably be finished by the time I figure this out. LOL