Trouble with Landscape LOD generator and TES4LODGen - The don't work

Dimitrisgb

If you don't want to turn off UAC then reinstall Oblivion outside of the C:\Program Files(x86) folder (UAC-protected).

I don't know how I can search for .cmp

That's easy to search for a file extension. Just type " *.cmd " without quotes in the search field at the top right in Windows Explorer.

I installed Oblivion in Program Files, not Program Files (x86).

Is your hardware and Operating System 32 or 64 bit? This is important. My game computer is 64 bit along with Win7 64 bit. There is both a Program Files and a Program Files (x86) and Oblivion is installed in Program Files (x86). I'm pretty sure I selected the default during installation. I've never really looked into it, I've just assumed that on a 64 bit system Program Files is where 64 bit programs go and Program Files (x86) is where legacy 32 bit programs go and I no doubt made that assumption because that's where Oblivion went after choosing all the defaults.

1) Is this a new project or have you been playing Oblivion on this computer and this install for years?

2) My game comp is in Program Files (x86) and on my work comp I overrode the default and installed directly under C: My game comp is working better in one regard that it doesn't have the OBSE can't inject dll error. I doubt if that is related to the install path but basically that's the only difference.

Is your hardware and Operating System 32 or 64 bit? This is important. My game computer is 64 bit along with Win7 64 bit. There is both a Program Files and a Program Files (x86) and Oblivion is installed in Program Files (x86). I'm pretty sure I selected the default during installation. I've never really looked into it, I've just assumed that on a 64 bit system Program Files is where 64 bit programs go and Program Files (x86) is where legacy 32 bit programs go and I no doubt made that assumption because that's where Oblivion went after choosing all the defaults.

1) Is this a new project or have you been playing Oblivion on this computer and this install for years?

2) My game comp is in Program Files (x86) and on my work comp I overrode the default and installed directly under C: My game comp is working better in one regard that it doesn't have the OBSE can't inject dll error. I doubt if that is related to the install path but basically that's the only difference.

I think it is 64 bit (I'm not at home right now). What if it's in 64 bit? Where should I install it?

For now I can say that whatever was the default install path has been working for me for 10 years on my 64 bit win7 computer. I can also say my wild guessing about UAC is wrong because it does say in the Wikipedia article that UAC does prevent user programs from writing within the Program Files folder. What I don't understand is with UAC you will get a popup when you run Tes4LODGen that says "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" Is that right? You click Yes. Right? Then the program runs and UAC does not honor your request to let this program make changes to this computer and it denies access to this program. It doesn't make sense.

On the Tes4LODGen forum you said you have reinstalled in Program Files (x86) so you probably do have 64 bit. Why not turn UAC off and try it? You can always turn it back on.

For now I can say that whatever was the default install path has been working for me for 10 years on my 64 bit win7 computer. I can also say my wild guessing about UAC is wrong because it does say in the Wikipedia article that UAC does prevent user programs from writing within the Program Files folder. What I don't understand is with UAC you will get a popup when you run Tes4LODGen that says "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" Is that right? You click Yes. Right? Then the program runs and UAC does not honor your request to let this program make changes to this computer and it denies access to this program. It doesn't make sense.

On the Tes4LODGen forum you said you have reinstalled in Program Files (x86) so you probably do have 64 bit. Why not turn UAC off and try it? You can always turn it back on.

Well, I right-clicked TESLODGEN, chose the tab "Compatibility" and clicked "Use as administrator". Apparently it works now, but there are some mods that I haven't installed and activated yet, but this is a god sign. Now I'm running TES4EDIT to see if it will eork as well.

I did turn off UAC for a different game in the past, just to install it and iw -almost- worked.

That's good news. I'm just curious for future reference. Was it the "right-clicked TESLODGEN, chose the tab "Compatibility" and clicked "Use as administrator" that did the trick or was it turning off UAC or maybe you did both at the same time.

But there is one problem. Landscape LODGenerator still doesn't work. I still get the message "1 [info] no batchfile, will read from stdin (type @end for compilation)."

So I type it and then nothing happens. I ran some sort of test and in the end I got the message that "The program is not compatible".

Okay, then that answers my question about UAC. You can look in TES4Edit_log.txt to see what may have happened before the error. I have verified that you can run the LOD function for a single esp with Tes4Edit. Tes4Edit is not user unfriendly it's just a little different with sort of a bare bones interface and uses the right click more than a normal interface. For example when the first window comes up you right click -> un-select all and then select the esp you want. On the next window you left click to select your esp then right click to see what you can do and you should see LOD. I'm guessing Tes4Edit has command line capability and maybe that's where the batchfile thing is coming from. I would look into Tes4Edit.