Creation kit CTD on start up

Deleted800173User

After starting up the creation kit i get a message saying the creation kit has stopped working. And then it says that windows cannot find the solution. Earlier I had an issue with it being unavailable but a reinstall of the CK makes start, not i just get the message box during initializing archive...

Not sure what to do, I've checked the integrity of the files and even redownloaded Skyrim. The CK used to work on my computer but that was a few months ago. Now it can't get past start up.

Run the CK as Administrator.

While the CK is initializing, DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING.

Be patient, it can take several minutes (about 5) to load Skyrim.esm. The CK may look like it has hung, but it is actually just taking its time to load all the assets.

@subtanker: If you took Steve40"s advice and it still didn't work. Read this from UESP -

Bugs

• Attempting to load Dawnguard or Hearthfire crashes the Creation Kit.
    • Edit SkyrimEditor.ini in the main Skyrim folder and find the value SResourceArchiveList2. Add Dawnguard.bsa and/or HearthFires.bsa to the list of files (e.g., SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, Dawnguard.bsa).

[*]Viewing Dawnguard scripts is not possible.

• The sources are kept in a seperate folder Data\Scripts\Source\Dawnguard, because some of them override (have the same name) as the ones in Data\Scripts\Source. Viewing them in a text editor works.
    • Another option is to set the value for sScriptSourceFolder in the SkyrimEditor.ini to the Dawnguard subdirectory. However this will make all the scripts not duplicated in Dawnguard unavailable.

[*]One can only load either Dawnguard or Hearthfire data into the CK, but not both at once.

• To get both working at once, just add in SkyrimEditor.ini under [General] bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1.

I have steam_api.dll in my Skyrim folder. Guess that's not the problem. Did you try right-clicking on creationkit.exe and selecting the troubleshoot capability. That was two posts down from the dll post. Also, other people were having trouble because of their firewall and had to shut it down. Check that post by derekbakerforlife for 2 possible solutions and the one following. Can't say I have had this problem, but I know it must be frustrating. :confused:

OK, try deleting these files (if they exist) then reinstall the CK.

steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini

steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\SkyrimEditorCustom.ini

steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\SkyrimEditor.ini

Edited by steve40