Bullet creation

dragon0421

An adequate system is already in place: the workbench and recipes. I'm not sure if the CS is required to add recipes for bullets, but I'd love to have them none the less. There should be a recipe for each bullet type and energy type.

I don't know much about bullet creation in real life, but I know they are created with a special machine and furnace and can be done in a home garage, so adding a new type of workbench would be preferable if possible.

As for the recipes themselves, they should obviously contain scrap metal for the shells. The bullet tips could be made out of lead pipes. Gun powder could perhaps be made through a bit of chemistry, so depending on how elaborate this will be it could use the laboratory bench (with another recipe for gun powder) or not, and use a combination of abraxo cleaner, laundry detergent, chems, and maybe even nuka cola (for laughs, but is totally believable if you read the nuka cola factory computers and consistent with the nuka cola grenade). The recipe for various energy weapon ammo could use fission batteries, conductors, sensor modules, etc.

If any modders decide to attempt this mod, PLEASE send me a PM so I can test it for you! Good luck!

YES! and euh, for powder, maybe use cartons of sigarets? :P

hey! they burn! or you could add a new item to the random loot generation. "Explosive powder" or "fuel cell"or some such, as one of the base components

the other base component could be anything metal. scrap metal, tin cans, railway spikes... whatever you like.

yes, not very realistic, but honestly, the gun that shoots railway spikes, the gun that shoots miniature nukes... realism makes way for gameplay, and it should here too.

Umm... do you really think a piece of scrap metal in a crappy uneven mold will yield better results than a military grade quality inspected rifle round?

Oh and by the way it is not like their is a shortage of bullets in Fallout 3, I think they accidentally hit copy paste on the bullets instead of adding new weapons, but that is just a theory :)

Umm... do you really think a piece of scrap metal in a crappy uneven mold will yield better results than a military grade quality inspected rifle round?

Oh and by the way it is not like their is a shortage of bullets in Fallout 3, I think they accidentally hit copy paste on the bullets instead of adding new weapons, but that is just a theory :)

Better? Of course not. But I think bullets could be made from a workbench with the right tools about as well as 200 year old bullets. Or at least well enough to work. Actually I imagine that bullets are manufactured by NPCs and it's just not spoken about. It wouldn't make any sense for so many bullets to still be around from pre war times. They are manufactured (along with guns) by certain NPCs in FO2 without a factory.

Sure we don't NEED more bullets. We also don't need railguns and rock-it launchers, but they're fun to make. This mod isn't about fixing a shortage of bullets, it's about having more fun. Anyone who likes crafting should find making their own bullets fun. It could also make a good companion to a mod that reduces the ridiculous number of found ammo, and this mod would make the world more immersive.

anyone seen that film will Mel Gibson called the Patriot? he melts down little toy soldiers made of Iron into ball ammunition for his rifle. I assume this is what the OP was mentioning by being able to smelter, then assemble your own weapons out of junk from the wasteland.

I like the idea since there is so much worthless junk in the world and this would make a lot of it useful. Plus once a weight mod is made you will have to be careful with how much ammo you carry with you.

I'd like to see it since Ammo can start to get costly and scarce if you run out of caps.

To give us a game that is more than just savages stabbing each other with rusty bits of scrap metal or throwing rocks the designers had to set aside the reality that firearms but more importantly, ammunition, would be available 200 years after our technical base is destroyed. Frankly, what "modern" weapons that would've survived would be out of action for lack of ammo. Why? Not due to the lack of bullets, the easiest component to make but due to the lack of primers and casings. Home reloaders do not make their own casings or primers. And you can only reuse brass casings so many times before they are unsafe for further use. Further complicating matters here are the instability of primer compounds, they are very dangerous to make. Simple percussion caps used fulminate of mercury, toxic, corrosive and easily detonated. These caps also leave corrosive salts in weapons which shorten their life, particularly barrel life, if not cleaned religiously.

The whole process is not worth modding IMHO. Let's stick with ammo being scrounged or made elsewhere where the tech base is still intact.

Unfortunately, any casing manufacturing facilities would have been destroyed as "military targets" in the war. All is not necessarily lost, though. It's reasonable to suggest that parts of these facilities may have survived or more likely, their methods. We have stimpacks after all, which someone in another thread suggested are just stem cells in a syringe. Given the average intelligence of most wastelanders, it's hard to believe that more than 200 years after technology has faded that Joe Schmo can just whip up a batch of stims... but following some instructions, he might have some hope.

Same goes for ammunition. The average wastelander is probably walking around with a decent amount of radiation poisoning, so what do they really care if they take a few more hits from casing chems? For that matter... one could suggest that casing technology developed differently in the FO universe and doesn't require toxic chemicals.

I'd personally be pretty happy to see this mod (grouped with realistic ammo weight). I've got a concept sketch (for a mod) of a home-made Gauss rifle that uses 9/10mm lead slugs, two inches long. No gunpowder necessary, but still need to melt stuff down for the slugs. The Gauss rifle would go pretty well with this.

I can offer no realism defense (istvan56 I enjoyed your post and gave ya kudos - it warms the cockles of my heart to see folks take the game seriously and contemplate the implications of real-life restrictions as it applies to the game world. That's part of what makes the Fallout community great. I mean that.)

but... I honestly think casting ammo would be an interesting addition. Especially combined with mods like 'WelcometoTheWasteland', where ammo is more scarce.

How about some Phosphorous rounds, crafted from carton of cigarettes+ant nectar+scrap metal? +25% damage, +10 fire damage over 10 seconds, 25% chance of incineration.

Archived