What personal rules do you play?

slainia

I use a lot of the other rules people have on here like not killing the Innocent or annoying (Yes since launch i have never killed Nazeem even though he keeps calling me poor, i spend more time in Dragonsreach than he does!!)

I think one rule that not a lot of others use is when ever a character yields, i stop, back up and let them get to their feet, i dont kill the weak (wish their was a mod that stopped followers from killing them though).

I reward my followers so if i have maybe 2 followers and one saves my life il give them something like gold or a weapon and i share the profits i make selling stuff from dungeons.

I once played an RP as a Legion Commander. I went around skyrim and got maybe 10 followers (formed a small sqaud) made them all killable, fitted them in full imperial gear (with ranks) then did the entire Civil war on Highest difficultly, if any of them died id leave the squad at an imperial camp then travel to his home and gave his family gold for his death, I wonder what Svens mother did with that 2000 gold? (He was an Officer)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game is SO much better when you roleplay and really let yourself get into it. When you just play mechanically, the game gets so repetitive and annoying.
My rules are largely dependent on which character I'm using. I try to have a clear notion of their do's and dont's but also leave room for them to change their minds or act on impulse - people do it all the time.

I don't like that hostiles that wield end up attacking you again. If someone asks for mercy, they should take their goddamn mercy and run with their tails between their legs. But I like Dyflinn432's idea of at least letting them on their feet before striking again. I can see my Dovahkiin doing it, though not my Listener. Shall adopt it!

Another issue I have is how hard it is to level up higher than.... lvl 35 or so. I refuse to do any quest that my character wouldn't, so you end up running out of options. Of course you can level up doing chores instead of quests (training and so on) but it's not the same. I also don't level any skill that the character doesn't have a clear reason to use. I'm quite against what two other posters do - "perfection" in all skills and "must-do-all-quests!". So I must repeat - glory to single player games forever. :D

Edited by sisterof

• 3 months later...

playstyle really is heavily depending on the type of character

game mechanic wise

never use console commands to give me items only time i use it is to resolve a glitch or bug or when experimanting with body ?facial mods or when i downloaded a new mod and trying it out on my test character first or for taking screenshots

using the console command to cheat basicly dumbify the game completely and that is for every game out there

The Grayfell is currenty playing through with a sorceror style class, previous elder scrolls games a sorceror was basically a heavily armored mage that especially relies on summon and conjuration. The Grayfells's sorceror is not a bad person, but she isn't a knight in shinying armor either. She believes in doing the right thing, but she's experienced enough to know the Right thing doesn't always mean doing the Good thing. She will steal and kill (Even innocents) if the situation calls for it or if it achieves her end goals. Those that go out of the way to annoy her will likely not only be killed but violated as well, mostly being sliced up and their parts used for necromancy ( with skyre's conjuration tree). If she has to save the world she will, but she won't put up with any crap whilst she's at it. On a Mass Effect scale she'd be a renegade, not evil, but not a nice person to know either.

There are some rules I always follow though.

I ) As soon as I become thane of whiterun, Nazeem dies. There is possibly no character in skyrim that annoys me more than Nazeem and the sorceror despises him utterly, if she could she'd not only kill him but burn down that chillfurrow farm he's always bragging about and strike his name from every historic record.

II) No Fast Travel, Anywhere, Ever. With the (very) occaisional exception of carriges and boats, I don't use fast travel methods, I rarely use horses either unless I deem it something critical.

III) Find everything, Clear everything. I like having a full map, and not fast traveling means I discover a lot of locations, no matter where I'm actually heading or why, if I discover a new cave or dungeon I'll stop and clear it out. Unless it's locked for some quest ( Saarthal and Duskman's cairn for example.)

IV) Vigilants of Stendar are kill on sight. The sorceror is a summoner and a necromancer, by nature her vocation means she traffics with the daedra. The vigilants would love to put me in a witche's pyre for it, and thus they are slain immediatley. Likely the Dawnguard will suffer the same.

V) The Thalmor are killed on sight. With the exception of Ancano and the leader lass up in the embassy who I believe are essential flagged, the Thalmor are killed on sight. This means all Thalmor, those on patrol through the land, those that wander Markarth's throneroom, all of them. Don't waste time trying to teach an Altmer lessons they shouldn't live long enough to learn.

VI) Dead people stay dead. Followers that die stay that way, something happens to a quest giver I was working for I accept the quests a failure and move on, my favorite blacksmith or vendor dies in a dragon/vampire attack I will mourn them but there will be no return. No resurrecting with console commands at all.

VII) People the sorceror likes ( Not as short a list as you'd guess from all of the above) she views as under her protection. She'll go out of her way to help them if needed, or rush to their aid if there's a battle. Loyalty is important.

Edited by Grayfell

I don't hurt innocents or animals (unless attacked first). I don't use Soul Trap. Trapping someone's soul and then using it to charge my weapon seems so cruel...

I don't steal, unless I have no other way.

Food I find in the wild or dungeons I don't let go to waste. I eat them or sell them. (I don't get why there would be cabbage in some ancient dungeon though).

I pick up rare books from the wild or dungeons and sell them to Urag at the Mages College for his collection. Nice books shouldn't rot away in some dungeon.

I try to find my way around without having to resort to swimming. I find it ridiculous you can swim in heavy armor.

I'm a loner. I rarely bring a follower. Haven't been married. Want to adopt a few orphans though.

No quest markers except for really trivial quests. Rarely fast travel except with carriages and the like.

I kind of follow Morrowloot's rules (but I can't use that mod because it's not compatible with SkyRe... until someone makes a compatibility patch for 3.0). I don't pick up loot from bandits and chests that contain rare and valuable items such as Ebony or Daedric armor.... These items should be extremely rare and you should only find maybe one or two sets in the entire game. I started encountering Ebony armor items as soon as level 14.... *facepalm*. I don't buy them from Merchants either. When I first started playing Skyrim and saw some of those Dwarven and Elven weapons locked in a display case I was like Wow those must be some rare items and you can only find them in a few places. Then when you reach a high level that stuff becomes super common.

That's all I can think of right now.

Edited by thenobody0

My character looks after the innocent and kids, gives charity. He is mulling over what to do with the woman that runs the Honourhall orphanage. Killing here would likely allow the younger woman to run it and make the lives of the kids better. However it’s still murder. He tries to annoy her in the hopes she will attack him and therefore can resolve that quest without murdering her.
He is a bit of a Casanova with ladies of willing disposition scattered through the land that appreciate his affection and he is happy to bestow gifts of clothes, jewelry, weapons and armour upon them.
I have kids in real life and don’t have as much time to play as I would like, therefore fast travel is an option I will use. With kids around I have to select the actions I take as they get to see a fair bit. (My 8 year old daughter loves the dragon fights) I do find the quests and interactions actually useful for teaching them real life moral lessons.

My character will never be a vampire or werewolf, he is generally good, but imperfect, much like myself.