What personal rules do you play?

slainia

I play the character. Do what they would do. For instance, my current character is a Nord Warrior/Hunter whose back story involves working in a very loose fashion for the Empire. You know those guys you send behind enemy lines because they look and speak like the natives? Yep - that was him. He brought back data on Stormcloak camps and patrol routes; he even fought on behalf of the Legion a few times without really being a member. His basic philosophy vis a vis the war is this: If the Thalmor succeed in splitting Skyrim and the Empire, and getting them to kill one another, all the Thalmor have left is to pick the carcass of both clean. The Empire must remain united - at all and any cost. Sure the current Emperor might be weak, but in the long run the solidarity matters.

Some of my character's morals are:

-Don't steal. Earn your keep.

-No killing. Unless they're bandits. Or about to start to a fight. Or he's getting paid for it. (Think Jayne from Serenity.)

-NO Killing women and children. He sees them getting picked on, he goes after the attacker. Soft spot.

-Hunting is fine, but every part of the animal must be used. Thank goodness for Realistic Wildlife.

-NO MAGIC. Ever. Shouts would be ok, though, as they are an Ancestral power belonging to the Nords.

-The Empire MUST win. Nearly any means justify that end. If the Empire and Skyrim slaughter one another the Thalmor win. And that CANNOT happen.

-Once you have told someone you will take a job, it gets done. And the job you have held the longest, gets done first. Professional Mercenary with a repuation.

-If its you he's coming after, and he's getting paid to do it, don't try to negotiate. It won't work. Can't get a rap as a guy who breaks promises if you want to keep getting paid.

So what I do is, within that loose framework, is ask myself: What Would He Do (WWHD). When tough decisions come up, I weight commitments against morals. Commitments have to win, barring some deal-with-the-devil type stuff he didn't know about or that was not disclosed beforehand. Again, in terms of Firefly/Serenity, he would have done the train job, too - but he would also have given back the medicine once he found out the truth of the matter.

So yeah, play the character. And play it strict. Keeps things interesting.

Now, general rules for all characters:

-Must get at least 6 hours sleep for every 30 in game hours (roughly - i am flexible)

-Must eat once per game day, a meal sized portion

-Must buy either a room, food or ale when visiting an inn, unless you enter, speak to the person you need to find and leave immediately

-Always wait a minimum of one hour per item crafted at smithies, to simulate time spent in town crafting

-Cannot carry more than two of any weapon or more than 25 arrows at one time. Makes things real interesting when using water arrows.

-Warriors don't cast spells

Curious about other rules people like to follow when playing. I enjoy really playing the character.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a companion that i did not hire dies i always honor their corpse as best i can if i possible. But i wont go so far as to drag them into a coffin or anything, just dont want to leave them in some horrible and grotesque position.

If possible i dump bandits and legionaires in a river after i kill them.

My biggest rule (and incidentally the only one I haven't seen mentioned) is fairly simple. 'Take only what you need.' When exploring, I will not take armor or weapons that are not an upgrade for me, or one of my followers, and I will leave what it is replacing. I only take enchanted items if I don't know, or have a specific use for the enchantment. If I have enough gold to buy whatever I need next, (or have nothing more to buy) I'll stop looting it. I'll keep unique items if I need them, or if they have some sort of special use (dragon priest masks are a good example), but other times I will leave it behind. (The first time I completed 'House of Horrors' I dropped the reward immediately after 'earning' it. I didn't need it, I wouldn't use it, I didn't need the money to sell it. I also refuse to do this quest again.)

The only items I find myself hoarding are iron ore, and gems. I used to transmute the ore right away, but now I only transmute leftovers (if I have any) from building a home. When I have smithing maxed, or have finished building homes, I no longer collect ore or gems. But these still fall under the 'needs' category, where a daedric helm really doesn't

Edited by nakakita

He isn't mine. When I was in Japan two years ago, a random Japanese guy was walking around with him, and when he saw I was curious, he proceeded to put the bird on my head. :laugh: The bird looks adorable in both pictures, and I look horrible. Sooo.. This was the obvious solution. But thank you.

well as long as he didn't leave a present while he was on your head :) mine've don ethat...more than once.

Thankfully it's small n easy to wash etc, but yeugh. lol.

They're funny little birds tho, especially if they start grooming your eyebrows. :> or lashes. o.o

I don't understand how people can just leave stuff behind ^^; I hoard. I own at least one copy of every book I've found, as well as keeping every journal, note, scrap of paper... One of every level of mage robes... I have a pile of pelts on Breezehome, and a stack of staves (almost every single staff I've come across.) I have baskets full of gems. And if it's unique, I enshrine it, no matter what it is. If it's something that's not readily available, I feel compelled to collect it, and rarely use it (which includes skooma and rare ingredients like hearts, flesh, moon sugar, salts...)

These are my rules:

-No fast travel (except in mod testing but only in places I've already been to)

-Slain friends are cremated (a mod I have adds a cremation spell)

-I take off my helmet when in town/indoors (in Morrowind and Oblivion I don't even wear helmets)

-I am not a Daedra worshipper, so I won't wear Daedric armor

-Thalmor and Imperial troops are killed on sight; my character is a freelance mercenary for now, but has future plans to become a Stormcloak

-Ever since Oblivion, I travel only by foot, no horses or other mounts

-Ever since Oblivion, I need to eat and have at least a few hours of rest everyday (in Skyrim I also need to drink something to keep thirst away)

-Ever since Morrowind, my character is on a quest to find a Nedic/Ancient Nordic runeblade (Frostmourne) to help him with the main quest

-As my main character I always play a male Nord (and try to get him to look at least somewhat like myself)