What personal rules do you play?

slainia

Interesting topic, I like to have personal rules it makes my game much more fun and interesting.

My personal rules on my current character :

• Have basic needs such as eat, drink, and sleep.

• Have at least one follower, but two is better. So I can told them to take care of the horses when I go into a cave, fort, or ruins. Don't want my horse to be stolen when some thief/ bandits find an unattended horse outside. :P

• Always share the loot with my followers whenever we arrive in a city.

• Decrease the fast travel multiplier to make fast travelling longer and make the distance feel realistic. Because I think it's weird that it only takes several hours in-game time from Whiterun to Riften. That makes me feel that Skyrim and Tamriel is really small.

• If I travel by foot or riding horse, the timescale must be at least 30.

• If I use carriages, I only travel to the nearest town first. i.e. If I want to travel to Markath from Riften, that means I have to stop at Whiterun first, rest there, then take the next carriage to Markath. This makes travelling from RIften to Markath takes about 2-3 in-game days by carriage (for me, it feels realistic)

• Wear backpack when travelling and only carry things that can be carried realistically (So when I loot, I only take things that can be fit into pocket and backpack).

• If someone yield or flee, leave them (use fight or flee mod to optimize this).

• Even though there is no class system in Skyrim, I must decide a class since the beginning as a part of my character's back story and specialize in it.

• Only enter the College of Winterhold to gain access on certain information (If only there's a mod that can make me enter the college without having to take their quest).

• Don't want to get involved in civil war, for now. (But I think it would be better to control both Imperials and Stormcloaks and lead them to fight Thalmor).

Some people said setting this kind of thing is pointless, but personally setting rules like this makes the game much more interesting for me. One does not simply play Skyrim without role-playing.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one common rule amongst my different characters is : never explore locations for no reason! It's too tempting to go to a a certain place if we already know there's something juicy in there, but my char in game doesn't know. It feels fake, so I never go anywhere unless I have a quest to bring me there. Otherwise I manipulate my playthroughs and time my quests as much as I can, so I can fit it all in.

Other than that, the quests I take depend on the type of character, If Im playing a good, honourable warrior, I go pure(no magics) and stick only with the companions and the dawnguard(the good guys). If Im playing a self interested/power hungry hybrid char, I'll join every other questionable guild, exept DB(hate being told what to do, sorry Astrid)

Currently living just below cliff side retreat there are some beds there so I stay there.

Sleep and eat everyday.

No fast travel.

Don't go exploring everywhere and avoid discovering new places.

If I see a camp I stay away and do some recon I spend a full day watching if I can't see anyone I go and investigate the next day or late that night.like just a minute ago I found a small camp in the hills and couldn't see anyone I went and investigated and it was dragon bridge overlook an 2 forsworn were there. I took them out with my iron sword because that's all my dark elf knows how to use at the minute.

I am now living in there camp. If I cook I put ingredients in a pot wait an hour then use te console to add 1 home cooked meal and when I eat must have something to drink also.

Avoid cities and almost all civilization at the minute staying off roads but close enough incase there are any easy people to rob. Isn't joining any guilds either. Only using daggers bows swords and war axes magic only once he is adept in it. Must craft everything or use forsworn gear.

Set timescale to 5

And just to add dark elfs look bad ass in forsworn armor.

Edited by fortie

Hm, don´t really know if I have any rules. But there is always something.

1. Lydia died in my first playthrough while we fought slavekeepers in a cave. Lydia is dead to me(I do not use her as a follower anymore because of that).

2. Since Lydia is dead, I chose Jordis instead. My char. married her so now I do not want her to be in danger, so she stays in Riften.

Same on every playthrough.

:ohdear:

That was probably all.

Edited by Niborino9409

My rules change depending on my character, but usually I play as a mostly "good" character. I do tend to look more than I need, but often I take as much as I can for enchanting and smithing purposes.

As a rule, if an NPC makes a hideously rude comment for no reason I will quicksave, and then give them a slash or a Fus-ro-dah, maybe even killing them. If they don't attack after the warning shot I might even walk away satisfied without reloading. :D

My rules changes as people's behavior toward me :

1. if one of those orc,khajit, elf ... travelers tell me what a milk drinker doing here go to your mother ... well first i'll ask nicely of them to take back your word if he/she refuses then Fus-ro-dah, .... or with one of my skillful hands his/ her head will be flying :facepalm:

2.always kill all bandits/vampires/skeevers / werewolves wherever i see them ( although i'm a werewolf myself ( my character i mean ) , i'm a proud, honorable female werewolf not a savage beast that doesn't recognize friend from foe )

3.help the poor but not Dagain ( hope i spell it right )

4.don't side with the vampires because of Feran Sadri's kill quests :( i can't kill good pple in the street :'( )

5. never take followers ( the risk of them dying because I'm using my shouts is high ) but if i have too i take Lydia and Serenna

6. take jobs from companions regularly , i didn't have any restriction on becoming one of TG or DB. as long as i'm respected and get paid i'm fine :)

7.never fast travel too often ( honestly the good events happens around 12am till 5am i'm not gonna miss these good events )

8.sleep ,eat , read ( i always spend sometime reading the skyrim's books , they are quite fascinating in fact :) ) and interact with pple

9.never kill springen ( i hope i sell it correct )

10.never kill Pathornax ( why should i do that in the first place , just because he was once sided with his brother Alduin ?!!! oh ... come on we all make mistakes )

11 .always call Odahving and Dernhavir in time of need :)

12. as dragonborn i will always use my shouts for my protection or to kill my enemies ( and i don't care what Jurgen Windcaller said about using shouts just for peace and .... :turned: )

and at last spend some time praying :tongue: :tongue: ( pretending is somehow more fitting )

Edited by Misakichun

My character is me so I make the choices I would in real life, at first I try not to kill anyone until it´s really necessary then after some experience I simply help others and travel and explore a lot, I use mods to sleep and eat and drink if necessary, never fast travel, since Im a vampire in skyrim I join the vampires but allways try to make the more human choices. Edited by scot

• 2 months later...

So I'm doing something a bit different now: My new character is the grown-up daughter that my previous character adopted via Hearthfire. Basically, it's Skyrim: Ten Years Later. (Except nothing has changed and the storyline is the same, but oh well.)

As a result I have a new rule: This character cannot claim any unique artifacts I know her "mother" owns and would always keep with her. That means no Aetherial Crown, no Auriel's Shield, no Gauldur Amulet, etc. She has to find her own sweet gear.

I use a lot of immersion mods such as Frostfall, Realistic Needs, Wet and Cold, Become a Bard, etc

First off, whenever I visit a town I make a point to stop at the inn and to have a good drink and meal.

I make sure to not to pick up objects that my character cannot reasonably carry in his backpack (That means no 4 ebony greatswords and 3 steel plate chests)

Eat and drink regularly.

Play the flute at inns in order to earn my stay there.

Do quests that my character's personality would do, regardless of reward.

After reading books wait a few hours to simulate the passing of time.

Those are just a few things.