Make my Custom Boss have dialogue before he atatcks

morrowind1979

I am currently working on a quest mod "Revenge of Dagoth Ur". I am nearing completion but what I want to do is when the player reaches Dagoth Ur I want him to have a conversation with the player and then attack the player once the conversation has ended. Does anyone know how I would go about this?

There are a few different ways to do this, depending on how your quest is set up. Here's one way to do it.

1. Set your boss' faction as something neutral/non-hostile to player faction.
  2. Set a quest stage that initiates a scene/forcegreet package, noting that depending on how the encounter is set up, you may need to lock the player controls, etc., such that the player doesn't start attacking the boss prior to the dialogue (or account for the player doing so, etc., just depends how you want this handled).
  3. At the end of your dialogue, have your topic fragment GetOwningQuest.SetStage(x) back to some holder stage that indicates your desired dialogue has been completed by the player.
  4. In that stage (x), set your boss' faction hostility/enemy to player faction (away from neutral/non-hostile), and StartCombat().

There are a few different ways to do this, depending on how your quest is set up. Here's one way to do it.

1. Set your boss' faction as something neutral/non-hostile to player faction.
  2. Set a quest stage that initiates a scene/forcegreet package, noting that depending on how the encounter is set up, you may need to lock the player controls, etc., such that the player doesn't start attacking the boss prior to the dialogue (or account for the player doing so, etc., just depends how you want this handled).
  3. At the end of your dialogue, have your topic fragment GetOwningQuest.SetStage(x) back to some holder stage that indicates your desired dialogue has been completed by the player.
  4. In that stage (x), set your boss' faction hostility/enemy to player faction (away from neutral/non-hostile), and StartCombat().

adding the script line StartCombat() causes the script compilation to fail

http://www.creationk...tCombat_-_Actor

StartCombat(Game.GetPlayer())

Always check the CK wiki to see if you're using valid syntax. Especially when people give you a general example, not specific code. Note also it is part of the actor script.

Ok almost there. havent got a clue about scenes tried some wikis, scenes are out of the question LMAO. Got my actor to initiate combat after the dialogue by adding akSpeaker.StartCombat(Game.GetPlayer()) script fragment at the end of the dialogue in dialogue views. Now my only problem is how to stop the player attacking dagoth ur instead of talking to him. Suggestions welcome lol

It's a valid player choice, isn't it? Screw talking, kill this guy. I would not appreciate being forced to read through dialogue I'm not interested in. I know since you're the one putting a lot of effort in it, that may seem thankless, nevertheless, you have to look at it from a player's perspective. It's hard looking at your carefully-crafted content with a dispassionate eye, but forcing the player is - I think - not a good solution.

The player may also break off conversation halfway through.

Edited by acidzebra

It's a valid player choice, isn't it? Screw talking, kill this guy. I would not appreciate being forced to read through dialogue I'm not interested in. I know since you're the one putting a lot of effort in it, that may seem thankless, nevertheless, you have to look at it from a player's perspective.

The player may also break off conversation halfway through.

yeah I guess i can just write in the mod description that he has dialogue when I upload it. almost finished now just a few things to add here and there!

Now my only problem is how to stop the player attacking dagoth ur instead of talking to him. Suggestions welcome lol

As noted in my original reply, it's really up to you how you want it handled. I have a few dialogue scenes similar to what you're describing in my Cerwiden mod and, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish, I used different methods. By way of reference examples:

1. In one of my quest segments with a 'non-hostile' boss, I leave it up to the player as to what action to take in terms of dialogue or combat and, if combat, WHEN the combat starts (e.g., prior to the FG, during dialogue by breaking it off, by selecting the combat option during dialogue, or even after the dialogue completes). To implement this, I have quest stages set up with the various permutations, and an alias management script that uses an OnHit event. So if the player goes along the "happy path", everything is triggered via topic fragment scripts that set the associated quest stage. By contrast, if the player attacks straight away, the alias script sets the associated stage indicating that dialogue is by-passed, and sets the hostility + combat start, etc. Finally, if the player decides to attack *AFTER* (e.g., player fails to keep his/her word to the boss NPC), the alias sets yet another quest stage, etc., where a consequence dialogue gets forced after the boss is killed.
  2. I also have another battle where the player MUST go through the dialogue, etc., and for that, I lock the player controls. I don't re-enable the controls until the dialogue is complete (e.g., when I want combat to start).