Game won't save or load or show save files

MyrikLK

During my game last night, I went to save and found that my save files had changed... they suddenly say 4163 Nowhwere instead of 4163 Whiterun. I tried re-saving over these files and nothing happened, they still said the same thing. I tried doing a quick save, nothing happened. I prob made a mistake here, but I deleted the files and then tried a new save. Again nothing happened, no new saves. As bas as I hated to do it, I tried reloading the game off the quick save... there were no saves listed and only the option for a New Game.

I'm curious if this is a memory issue... like have I filled up the max of the save? Or something to do with mods?

I have around 84 mods installed (at work so I don' t the game in front of me), with most just adding armor or equipment, the biggest two as far as game changes are War Zones, UFO, and High Res Textures.

Any help is appreciated before I try to start over (if I can bring myself to do it) or look for a back up save I did months ago.

No idea. You're well over the maximum mod limit so that's not the issue. Quick saves are notoriously unreliable. I wonder if your old saves would have worked before you deleted them. Now that you have (I'm assuming you didn't back those saves up into a safe location first) you really don't have any other option than to start a new game.

No idea. You're well over the maximum mod limit so that's not the issue. Quick saves are notoriously unreliable. I wonder if your old saves would have worked before you deleted them. Now that you have (I'm assuming you didn't back those saves up into a safe location first) you really don't have any other option than to start a new game.

Yeah, I regret the deletion.

However I looked in the save folder and the quick saves were there but are not showing up in-game... makes me think that the main saves would've done the same.

Another thing is I tried the console command to do a named save before I did the deletion, but it did not show up as well.

Hopefully that info might help a little more.

I've got an old set of saves from a couple of months back I'm gonna try... I'm just thinking I'm at some sort of size limit for the save... I had 350+ game hours on those.

I think it may be a time issue - if the time settings on your computer were changed while you were playing the game, the new saves would show up before your old saves in-game.

example: your computer's time/date was set to 11/2/2012 1:20 when you were playing yesterday (today is the 2nd), then any saves you made today will show up before the old ones in the load list.

Edited by xeightballx

I think it may be a time issue - if the time settings on your computer were changed while you were playing the game, the new saves would show up before your old saves in-game.

example: your computer's time/date was set to 11/2/2012 1:20 when you were playing yesterday (today is the 2nd), then any saves you made today will show up before the old ones in the load list.

I'm not sure why it would change time during the session when its worked for so long... or am I misunderstanding the gravity of what your saying here?

I'm not sure why it would change time during the session when its worked for so long... or am I misunderstanding the gravity of what your saying here?

you might be misunderstanding what I am saying. It's not the game time that changes, it's the system time (time/date in the corner of your PC). If you were ever disconnected from the internet, and your system time was changed, it would change how the saves are loaded. The exact same thing happened to me previously, and my time somehow got set a day ahead of normal while playing. Then I fixed the time and all of my saves were moved to the bottom(or near the bottom) of the load list. I couldn't figure out why the saves kept disappearing until I fixed the time.

It's kinda odd how saves are sorted in-game. Long story made short: They are sorted by the time-stamp, and not the save number, or which was the last one saved.

Since both saves would have conflicting dates, the latest save would appear on top, the missing ones would be down the list.

If the quick saves are there, so are the others. When you get back into the game, simply scroll down further than you normally would. Eventually you will find them.

you might be misunderstanding what I am saying. It's not the game time that changes, it's the system time (time/date in the corner of your PC). If you were ever disconnected from the internet, and your system time was changed, it would change how the saves are loaded. The exact same thing happened to me previously, and my time somehow got set a day ahead of normal while playing. Then I fixed the time and all of my saves were moved to the bottom(or near the bottom) of the load list. I couldn't figure out why the saves kept disappearing until I fixed the time.

It's kinda odd how saves are sorted in-game. Long story made short: They are sorted by the time-stamp, and not the save number, or which was the last one saved.

Since both saves would have conflicting dates, the latest save would appear on top, the missing ones would be down the list.

If the quick saves are there, so are the others. When you get back into the game, simply scroll down further than you normally would. Eventually you will find them.

None of the saves appear in-game, only in the save folder.

Hi, to verify your game cache, just go to steam game files, right click on Skyrim and then click properties. I think verify game cache is on the local files tab. Sorry I am running Steam offline now to avoid the 1.8 mess, so I couldn't double check this to get the exact path. There is also a defrag cache option.