⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Cheapest graphics card that can run Skyrim?

Heating isn't a problem you just have to have a good stock cooler or enable manual fan control and turn up the fan speed and with the 4850 you only need 1 6pin connecter so its not that power hungry it when you get into the 1-2 gig verisons where power is much more needed and then you need 2 6pin connecters

If you replace the cooler it is not $50 anymore and if you turn up the stock cooler you can't stay in the room. I have one sitting on my desk that I recently removed from an old computer that I had built for someone else. It idles at 80C. With the fan tweak.

If you are not worried about screen wavey lines and dishadow distortions there are a host of older card that will render basic Skyrim. However, if you want clear screens and minimal distortion abberent shadow effects you will need a IGByte card no earlier than a NvidiaGTENG 460 seried which will support Ultra settings at 1680 x 1050, and witha suitable screen far higher resolutions screen rates. for Skyrim you also need a 2ms Black black screen refresh rate to allow fast motion rendering correctly. With Skyrim you need a good graphics rendering capability to by passthe uglies inthe skyrim code for drawing screens in the game. My laptop has a 4.5 Gbyte intel 3000 video GPU. renders flat greyish screens at 1920 x1080 with good detail but poor color definition. Fortunately, the laptophas an interleaved nvidia Geforce GT540M 2Gbyte that irun as the piimary video card for very good clear and distortion free screens at ultra settings.

Cheers

Everything else equal, 1GB GDDR5 is much better than 2GB GDDR3. Every time, every resolution, every set of circumstances, short of very specific strictly non-gaming tasks.

Everything else isn't equal here - GT430 isn't even a useful video card. It's only slightly faster than HD4000. Why would you even suggest something like it?

No one pits it against real video cards, so this is just to show how enormous the gap between GT430 (even if you put 100GB of RAM on it) and HD7750 is: http://www.hwcompare.com/11762/geforce-gt-430-vs-radeon-hd-7750/