Texture shows as black in Skyrim

Jennifur68

Sorry if there's a topic for this already but I've looked around and didn't see anything. I'm making a new dagger and I was having an issue with the scabbard coming into Skryim black but the dagger was fine except one small black patch on the pommel. I fixed my scabbard issue by redoing the scabbard from an earlier save in 3DS Max. One problem fixed, the scabbard looks fine in Skyrim now but as soon as that was corrected the dagger started showing up in game black. The only things I've changed are redoing the scabbard and welding some unwelded verts at the tip of the pommel that I had collapsed but not welded and I assumed was causing my black patch.

My process:

Create meshes in 3DS Max, unwrap the UVWs, make and assign textures. I'm using Multi/Sub-Object for my textures, the dahher is material ID 1, the scabbard id ID 2 and the blade blood material ID 3.

After exporting I load two instances of NifSkope, one with the model I wish to overwrite and one with one of my exported .nifs. I remove the branches in my dagger for material and shaders then copy the shder properties from the Steel Dagger to my dagger, I parent the shader to my NiTriShape and assign my textures to my mesh. I copy my NiTriShape and paste its branch into the Steel Dagger then delete the branch for the steel dagger and rename the string index changing it from 1stPersonSteelDagger:0 to 1stPersonDagger:0. I repeat these steps for the scabbard and blood. Once everything is set up and my blood layers are flagged as hidden I save my nif. I then load the third person Steel Dagger and copt my branches to it and delete the originals. I save both files as 1stPersonDagger.nif and Dagger.nif, I'm using Dagger as a generic name for this post.

These are the NifSkope tutorials I've been using:

Once my 1st person and 3rd person nif files are saved I open the Creation Kit and create my four new forms and save the .esp file.

Once in Skyrim I can create the dagger and upgade it as per my recipes with no issues.

The black texture issue is driving me crazy and I'm at a loss to explain why I'm getting either a black scabbard or a black dagger...I've spent two days trying to figure this out on my own, checking my textures, checking the textures are in the right places in NifSkope, reexporting my meshes from 3DS Max, reworking my meshes. Any suggestions would be appericiated.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/DaggerTexture.jpg

Edited by Jennifur68

Without reading the whole thing, just a wild guess:

Your NitTriShapeData's HAS VERTEX COLORS is set to YES and the UV Map is displayed correctly in NifSkope (NiTriShape => rightclick => textures => edit UV)? NUM UV SETS is 4097? If it is 1 change it to 4097 and menu SPELLS => PATCH => UPDATE. 0 = bad ^^

greetings

I just checked and here's what I see:

Has Vertex Colors is set to No

The UVW is displaying correctly in Nifskope under NiTriShape => rightclick => textures => edit UV

Num UV Sets is 4097

I don't see menu SPELLS => PATCH => UPDATE, on my menu I have Spells, the next level in the menu for Spells are Batch, Optimize, Animation, Sanitize and Block I get that menu in NifSkope -1.1.0 which I used to edit the .nif files and I just installed NifSkope -1.1.2, it has the same Spells menu options.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/NifSkopeSpells.jpg

YAY! You fixed it. :biggrin: :dance: Thank you for all your help Ghosu! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me and your videos are great, I used them to learn until I got to NifSkope, then I went back to your Creation Kit video. My .objs were coming into Nifskope with scrambled UVWS so I had to switch to the videos I linked above which works out because I can just export .nif files from 3DS Max.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/DaggerTextureFixed.jpg

Newer versions of NifSkope (like 7 and 8 ) tend to trash the UV map, version rc4 works for sure in combination with .obj files - just in case, i'm using 3DsMax with .nif export myself atm, i heard 6 should work as well :D Edited by ghosu

• 3 years later...