Console access key remap

CeremonyofOpposites

ditto that request.

on some PC's, the tilde key gets intercepted by unremovable IR drivers (built-in IR receiver, cannot remove).

in oblivion, this was solved by a mod that allowed the player to equip an item (a ring, IIRC) that would open the console.

something like that would be really useful for FO3 too.

• 2 weeks later...

someone tracked this down to a registry entry set in Vista because the machines are setup using an Asian keyboard to begin with.

to fix it:

Start regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

There should be an entry named OverrideKeyboardSubtype with a type of REG_DWORD and a value of 2.

Set the value to 0 and reboot.

backup your registry 1st if you think you might flub the edit, otherwise there is no problem with changing that value.

someone tracked this down to a registry entry set in Vista because the machines are setup using an Asian keyboard to begin with.

to fix it:

Start regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

There should be an entry named OverrideKeyboardSubtype with a type of REG_DWORD and a value of 2.

Set the value to 0 and reboot.

backup your registry 1st if you think you might flub the edit, otherwise there is no problem with changing that value.

Yes. Yes this is the solution I have been seeking.

Thank you, Sir Toejam, When all others put me down for perceived incompetence

you came through for not just me, but for many. Since none of the other fixes

for this problem (Device management, Resolution change, keyboard swapping)

had any effect whatsoever on my ability to open the console, and this one did

the trick, I am to only imagine that this will fix all machines in error. Thank you,

again, for taking the time to relay the solution, and a big thanks to the one

who originally found it.

Archived