Do you think this is a good idea for a follower mod?

samv96UK

Do you think this is a good idea?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

So what with all these new follower mods springing up recently, I had an idea of my own, that would be (In my opinion) pretty unique. Of course, the popularity of this mod would probably be based on the initial idea, as well as the quality.

And the idea is... what if the follower was a Dwemer?

I basically got this idea from the Mass Effect 3 Prothean DLC, which shows Javik, one of a long extinct ancient alien species awakened from 50,000 years in stasis. Once awakened, he proves to be an interesting person to travel with.

What if this concept was taken into Skyrim?

A group of miners digging in an ancient Dwarven excavation site come across a piece of ancient technology, little beknown to them it is a capsule containing a living Dwemer. He would either be an important individual, to be preserved in such a way, or some kind of criminal, who was locked in the capsule for committing a serious crime (or perhaps both?).

This follower wouldn't damage lore- he would rather enhance what we already know about the Dwemer but from a different perspective. I won't go making up back story for the Dwemer that destroys lore (I won't say why they vanished etc.)

I just think it would be interesting to have him following you around, a deadly ancient warrior, reminiscing about things that happened in the ruins you are walking through.

What do you think?

(I'll add more details later by the way)

It really could be very lore breaking, depending on what the person playing believes happened to the Dwemer. I personally believe that whatever happened to them wasn't something 'physical', and that simply being 'frozen' wouldn't allow one to still be around, I believe they transcended (or descended) into a higher (or lower) plane(t) of existence. For a Dwemer to be around in a way that is lore friendly to people who know a LOT about the Dwemer, it would have to bee something more complex, like some sort of interdimensional 'ship' suddenly rips into the plane(t) Nirn. Something like the Aetheral Spaceship mod, but instead of getting a working ship, you get a Dwemer follower. I could see use of the 'Dwemer Exoskeleton' mod, plus some other tweaks to make him a large, bulky, tank of a follower, possibly using some of the 'NPC Riffles' from that one Dwemer Riffle mode. (Unless you find that kind of thing lore breaking, I personally don't, since the Dwemer were HIGHLY advanced)

The thing, Dwemer are a very touchy subject for some people. The fact is they DID vanish, every single one of them on the plane(t) it all at once, and only once is known to survive(If you played Morrowind you know who I am talking about), and he himself did not know why the Dwemer vanished, or why he didn't. Morrowind suggests it was based around the disruption of the Heart of Lorkhan, the literal physical heart of the Brother of Akatosh who brought light and knowledge to man and mer, and as a result, had his heart torn out and thrown to Mundus by his brother Akatosh. The result of it's impact/fusion with mundus created Red Mounrain. Many Dwemer revered Lorkhan as the one and only true god worth worshiping, as he was the god of logic, science, and understanding, who shunned the magic of the other gods for a true and deep grasp of the universe itself. When the Dwemer found the heart of Lorkhan, they tried to built a mechanical 'False God' to challenge all the other gods, believing their science and logic was superior to the gods magic. Some time during this series of events, all Dwemer vanished, it is not known why, how, were they wen't, what was the result with their conflict with the gods, and why the one Dwemer in Morrowind was spared. The heart of Lorkhan can still be found in the incomplete shell of the mechanical god the Dwemer were building in Morrowind, so one is lead to believe they never completed their goal, and were abruptly stripped from existence itself for trying to betray the gods.

90% of that is from Morrowind by the way. Really, about the only thing that would make a Dwemer follower logical now, would be a Time Traveler. I really would try to not touch Dwemer lore AT ALL. Maybe even make him have left the Dwemer hundreds of years before whatever stripped them from this world, so he himself knows absolutely nothing about it. Or maybe just make it so he doesn't even speak your language.

The idea is cool, just complicated if you want to be a stickler for lore.

I've never played Morrowind, so most of that stuff I didn't know. If I do go ahead with this idea, I won't get too in-depth of why they vanished. If he was in stasis or frozen or whatever, he would have no idea what happened to his race and why they vanished. That's sort of what I meant by he won't damage the lore- He won't go around saying "This is how the Dwemer vanished", "This is what the Dwemer believed in" and "This is how the Dwemer were so powerful" etc.

I would instead maybe make him drop hints about their culture and lifestyle, things like food for example, things that are pretty much trivial. The main interaction I want him to have though is basically saying about different ruins and how he remembers them during his time (Like how he visited Aftland when he was a young boy and how he was amazed by the sights or whatever). So like I said, he wouldn't so much as break the lore, but more be an insight into little trivial things the Dwemer did.

But still, I'm not sure if I'm actually going to go ahead with this... :D