Moving a managed game to another drive

ProfMajkowski
Go to solution Solved by Rattledagger,

Hello, I've just got a simple question. I'm planning to move a game, Fallout 4, to another drive (from HDD to a new SSD) and I'm managing my mods for this game in Vortex. So, my question is, can I safely move the game without Vortex getting messed up? Will everything work as it used to, or will I have to do some manual adjustments to file paths etc.?

• Solution

The default deployment-method with Fallout4 is hard-linking, this means the Mod Staging Folder must be on the same disk as the game. So, I would do something like this:

1: In Vortex on mods-tab for Fallout4, hit "Purge" and then finished exit Vortex.

2: Use Steam to move Fallout4 to the new disk.

3: Run Fallout4 launcher once, to setup new registry location etc.

4: Re-start Vortex, you'll get a message about Fallout4. Make sure Vortex has detected the new location of Fallout4.

5: Just to be on the safe side, re-start Vortex.

6: In Vortex under Settings, Mods, change "Mod Staging Folder" to be on the new disk. Vortex will now move all mods to the new disk, this can take some time.

7: Make sure under Vortex, Settings, Mods, you're using "Hardlink Deployment".

8: On mods-tab, hit Deploy.

Any short-cuts to Fallout4 in Vortex Dashboard may possibly also need to be updated.

The default deployment-method with Fallout4 is hard-linking, this means the Mod Staging Folder must be on the same disk as the game. So, I would do something like this:

1: In Vortex on mods-tab for Fallout4, hit "Purge" and then finished exit Vortex.

2: Use Steam to move Fallout4 to the new disk.

3: Run Fallout4 launcher once, to setup new registry location etc.

4: Re-start Vortex, you'll get a message about Fallout4. Make sure Vortex has detected the new location of Fallout4.

5: Just to be on the safe side, re-start Vortex.

6: In Vortex under Settings, Mods, change "Mod Staging Folder" to be on the new disk. Vortex will now move all mods to the new disk, this can take some time.

7: Make sure under Vortex, Settings, Mods, you're using "Hardlink Deployment".

8: On mods-tab, hit Deploy.

Any short-cuts to Fallout4 in Vortex Dashboard may possibly also need to be updated.

Thank you for the advice!

Edit: It worked! So again, thank you.

Edited by ProfMajkowski