Survival Mod

Deleted919650User

Perhaps this is just a pipe dream until the Construction Kit runs out, as I'm not entirely sure just how much you folks can do with what you've got so far. I've already seen some very impressive mods, so here's to hoping my idea can maybe be taken into account.

Survival Mod

The idea of the mod is to turn the wastelands into the dangerous, unforgiving territory they want to be. Real-world effects such as hunger, thirst, and fatigue will wear your character down. Things like limited ammo capacities, medpack usage, tweaked SPECIAL stat effects, and the removal of instant healing upon sleeping will come together to create a tough, no-nonsense environment where the only goal is survival.

Sec. 1- S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Stat Adjustments

STRENGTH

Strength will have much less effect on carry weight. The minimum carry weight will be 50 lbs at a Strength rating of one. Each additional strength point increases maximum carry weight by 5 lbs, meaning the maximum carry weight will be 100 lbs at a Strength rating of 10.

Melee bonuses will be unaffected.

ENDURANCE

Endurance is now a very important stat. It is responsible for your health, fatigue, hunger, and thirst management. Starting health will be 100 at an Endurance rating of one. Each additional rank of Endurance will add five points to the player's maximum health. Higher Endurance ratings will allow the player to go for longer periods without food, drink, or rest (more on this later).

AGILITY

Agility now has a more drastic effect on run speed. In a harsher wasteland with limited ammo and health reserves, running away is going to not only be a viable option, but occasionally a necessary one.

Sec. 2- Gameplay Changes

HUNGER AND THIRST

Hunger and thirst will be the player's most important necessities. Food and drink must be consumed every so often (as determined by your Endurance trait), or your character will begin suffering the side effects of starvation. Traits such as Strength, Perception, and Agility will suffer heavy penalties depending on how long your character has gone without food or water. Players will experienced decreased accuracy, more frequent weapon jams, and a slower overall speed. A hungry or thirsty character will find himself needing to sleep more, as he is unable to produce enough energy to travel for a full day. As a warning to players, their characters will experience hunger pains when the time to eat or drink has arrived. The hunger pains effect will be the same as the concussion effect. Diluted sounds and unfocused periods will come in waves to alert the player that his character needs food and drink. The longer the player has gone without sustenance, the more frequent these hunger pains will be, and the more serious the side-effects. Failing to eat for several days will result in the player's health bar being temporarily reduced to 50% of its maximum. It will remain like this until the player consumes food and drink.

FATIGUE

It is now necessary for characters to sleep. A high Endurance trait will allow the character to remain awake for longer periods of time. Failure to sleep will result in penalties to traits: strength, agility, intelligence, charisma, and Perception. These penalties will not come into play all at the same time, but instead will gradually stack and build over time. For instance, if your character has remained awake for four days, he will receive severe penalties to all major traits. These are caused by the inability to focus, intense weariness, and apathy caused by sleep deprivation.

REDUCED CARRYING WAIT AND AMMO CAPACITIES

These are the harsh wastelands. It is unreasonable to think that a man can lug around three hundred pounds of gear for long periods of time. Because of this, I believe the maximum load weight should be capped at about 100 lbs, which is itself still higher than the average man could shoulder and walk with.

Ammo should now have a maximum capacity, or have a unit of weight introduced. A man would have a hell of a time lugging around 100 pounds of gear AND thousands of rounds of ammunition. Adding weight to ammunition would force players to carry less ammunition, or to make sacrifices in other gear.

STORE PRICES

Store prices for weapons, ammunition, and food will be increased drastically. In a post-apocalyptic wasteland, food and ammunition is likely to be scarce. There are likely hundreds of wastelanders and scavengers just like the character who are trying to find the same things.

REMOVAL OF INSTANT-HEAL SLEEPING

Let's be frank, fellas. Wounds don't heal overnight. Sleeping will no longer restore full health. Sleeping will restore 20% of the player's maximum health. Crippled limbs cannot be healed by sleep. This will force players to find clinics and doctors who can patch them up.

LIMITED STIMPACKS AND DRUGS

The addition of a weight to Stimpacks and drugs would force the player to choose equipment wisely when venturing into the wastes.

If I can think of any other ideas, I'll come back and post them tomorrow. I'm currently suffering from sleep deprivation and hunger, so my stats are experiencing some pretty heavy penalties. Adios.

Edit- Let it be known that is not originally my idea, I just refined it. I got the idea from a user on another forum who was planning to play the game following the same basic rules I listed, only without the aid of a mod. He wanted to travel with low ammo, limit his use of medkits, eat twice a day, drink often, and sleep each night. I figured that'd be pretty fun, but a mod could be made that would enhance that experience a lot. So, I came up with this rough outline of what I'd like a Survival Mod to be.

This could be a very good mod, and personally I might use a mod like this. But I'm not sure about it, it could make the game way harder (which I don't mind, I play on hard with realistic damage so I don't mind difficulty) but I'm not sure. I really like survival games, so this could appeal to my tastes.

Yup, it would make the game MUCH harder. That's the point! :D

It's not a mod for everybody, but I would personally dig it! This mod wouldn't so much be for doing the main quest, but instead just focus on survival. With a mod like this, those side quests would become really important. Moira's quests especially! With this mod, raiding the Super Duper Mart and collecting landmines for money would actually be worth something.

Okay I throw in my vote for that mod - and all the moral support I can offer. ;)

My main concerns so far are btw:

Real Nights

Currently, when dusk kicks in, the colorful landscape will change to a grey landscape. There's no actual problem with strolling around during the nights, it's brightest fullmoon light guaranteed. Probably a concession to casual players who don't want to worry about day/night cycles, but dark and dangerous nights are essential to any survivor mod. Oh I remember the ambitious STALKER, where nights were really different and you could actually run into night raiding groups.

There already is a "Dark Nights" mod for F3 around, I like it. It doesn't do much, just make nights VERY dark. Now, I am really worried to find a hiding place quick when the lights turn out, as stumbling around in unknown territory with nothing but your pipboy light is terribly dangerous.

Getting ambushed while sleeping

Currently, you lay waste to a raider camp and then just crawl into one of their beds to heal up. This ought to be a rather stupid idea, what with returning raiding parties or somesuch slitting your throat while you are sleeping. I actually started securing my resting places in the wastelands with mine traps, but it would be so much cooler if this wasn't just for roleplay reasons. :P

But this would be the most ambitious aspect of a survivor mod, I fear.

Admittedly, most problems can be addressed by self-imposed roleyplaying limitations for now. Makes you feel like some kind of nerd though, but what are you gonna do..

Nights could add extra stuff to the leveled lists or spawning lists..

Would be neat if we were able to modify the ai packages when the sdk comes out.. modify packs of raiders to hide around, and if they spot the player they might not just rush em, maybe follow em around and sneak up on em at night, or a group of enclave soldiers flanking on multiple sides to cut off retreat, or whatnot.

One game you can take after for this mod would be URW (Unreal world), a roguelike survival game set in iron age finland.

http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

play the demo and I'm sure you'll have a bazillion ideas of things to add for a survival mod...

Um... Did i missed sth about radiation? No i think there was no talking about it. I think radiation in world after nuclear conflict should be common and much more lethal over time. Cuz its stupid when you play postapocaliptic game and to be radiated you need to deliberately step into radiated water.... Wooow thew is wadiated waaatew...

Sec. 1- S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Stat Adjustments

STRENGTH

Strength will have much less effect on carry weight. The minimum carry weight will be 50 lbs at a Strength rating of one. Each additional strength point increases maximum carry weight by 5 lbs, meaning the maximum carry weight will be 100 lbs at a Strength rating of 10.

Melee bonuses will be unaffected.

I don't know, I sure don't have a strength of ten IRL, but I can hike around with a one hundred thirty pound pack all day long for weeks at a time. Maybe bump it up to two fifty at a strength of ten. After all, five is supposed to be about average and ten is supposed to be Olympian.

Archived