We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Load order help?

DelugesNeuron

I was starting a new Skyrim SE play-through and doing a sort of modular install of mods a few at a time and testing them for stability, and had a very stable play-through going then a week or two ago several of my mods needed updating. I also misread one message popup, and thought that I had a steam error and re-verified my game files in steam, which resulted in having to redo several game settings after verification.

Since then I have random CTDs, which don't seem to leave anything in the logs to help identify the problem. The ctds are usually in the exterior worldspace when just walking or riding around. I use MO2.

I use the Live Another Life alternate start mod, and the ctds seem to happen more frequently near Riverwood after leaving toward Helgen, or when approaching Helgen itself from any direction, though they sometimes occur elsewhere or when going from exterior to interior cells and vice versa.

I did have the Helgen Reborn mod installed, and I deactivated it, and started a new profile and new save/start from character generation, but the ctds still occur as before.

I don't know if its related but the Live Another Life quest progression also seems somehow off, about 8 times out of 10; after leaving the Helgen cave with either Ralof or Hadvar, things proceed normally until arrival in Riverwood, then either Hadvar or Ralof get close to Alvor or Gerdur, and simply stop before going up to them and initiating the dialogue lines. When this happens I can still talk to them, but they only offer generic commentary as if they were still on the road toward Riverwood, and not arrived in Riverwood and standing 2 feet from Alvor/ Gerdur.

I did try the RASD alternate start once, and the alternate Helgen/ Riverwood scenes played out normally, but I didn't extensively test that game beyond that point as I like the LAL mod and am more familiar with it.

Loot shows no errors, masters have been cleaned, all mods are updated, and all conflicts showing in MO2 have been resolved.

Is there anything in my Load order that more experienced eyes out there spot that could cause this?

Here's my load order:

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 Campfire.esm
254 FE 0 Lind's Wizard Robes SSE- Texture Replacer.esl
7 7 Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
254 FE 1 LostEnchantments.esl
8 8 OBIS SE.esp
9 9 Frostfall.esp
10 a Ars Metallica.esp
11 b SkyUI_SE.esp
12 c iHUD.esp
13 d Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
14 e campersworkbench.esp
15 f craftableeverythingspecialedition.esp
16 10 craftableeverythingspecialeditiondawnguard.esp
17 11 craftableeverythingspecialeditiondragonborn.esp
18 12 CampfirePrimitiveShelter.esp
19 13 SimpleCampfireAdditions.esp
20 14 JMR Camp Storage - Requires Campfire.esp
21 15 FoodforFrostfall.esp
22 16 Warm Drinks.esp
254 FE 2 CBBE.esp
23 17 AMatterOfTime.esp
24 18 TimingIsEverything.esp
25 19 iNeed.esp
26 1a iNeed - Extended.esp
27 1b Sit Anywhere.esp
28 1c Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
29 1d MOD - Simply Better Horses (SSE).esp
30 1e Leave Combat.esp
31 1f Point The Way.esp
254 FE 3 playercelllocationinfo.esp
32 20 FNIS.esp
33 21 FNISspells.esp
34 22 FISS.esp
35 23 wizDynamicThings.esp
36 24 UIExtensions.esp
254 FE 4 AddItemMenuSE.esp
37 25 JaxonzEnhGrab.esp
38 26 Cloaks.esp
39 27 Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
40 28 Holidays.esp
41 29 BecomeABard.esp
42 2a CollegeApplication.esp
43 2b Elemental Destruction.esp
44 2c Bound Tools Spell.esp
45 2d Forgotten Spells.esp
46 2e Celtic_Music_In_Skyrim_SE.esp
47 2f Celtic_Music_In_Skyrim_SE_Dungeon.esp
48 30 Vivid WeathersSE.esp
49 31 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
254 FE 5 RealisticWaterTwo - Needs Mod Patch.esp
50 32 Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin SSE Version.esp
51 33 XPMSE.esp
52 34 Insignificant Object Remover.esp
53 35 Beards.esp
54 36 Brows.esp
55 37 12FemaleBrows.esp
56 38 SPTConsistentOlderPeopleSE.esp
57 39 TheEyesOfBeauty.esp
58 3a The Eyes Of Beauty - Elves Edition.esp
59 3b Realistic Haircolors.esp
60 3c RaceMenu.esp
61 3d RaceMenuPlugin.esp
62 3e RaceMenuMorphsCBBE.esp
63 3f RLO - Exteriors.esp
64 40 RLO - Interiors.esp
RLO - Effects.esp
65 41 Hidden Hideouts of Skyrim - Merged.esp
66 42 Hidden Hideouts of Skyrim City Edition - Merged.esp
67 43 HoldBorderBanners.esp
68 44 CompanionsTweaks.esp
254 FE 6 More Radiant Quests for the Companions.esp
69 45 BlendedRoads.esp
70 46 nwsMirabelleFollower.esp
71 47 Vivace.esp
72 48 Chaconne.esp
73 49 Bijin_AIO-SV 2018.esp
74 4a My Home Is Your Home.esp
75 4b AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
76 4c sandboxcylinderheight.esp
77 4d Provincial Courier Service.esp
78 4e PAN_NPCs.esp
79 4f Run For Your Lives.esp
80 50 Hunters Not Bandits.esp
81 51 LevelersTower.esp
82 52 Rervun - Build Your Starter House - Winterhold.esp
83 53 Rervun - Build Your Starter House - Rift.esp
84 54 Rervun - Build Your Starter House.esp
85 55 Rervun - Build Your Starter House - Reach.esp
86 56 RiverwoodHuntingCabinSE.esp
87 57 FollowerPerdiccas.esp
88 58 Giraud Gemane Sells Books.esp
89 59 IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
90 5a Atlas Compass Tweaks.esp
91 5b Atlas Legendary.esp
Vivid Weathers SE - Bruma Patch.esp
Vivid Weathers SE - Falskaar.esp
254 FE 7 Qw_CloaksOfSkyrim_USSEP Patch.esp
92 5c MagicalCollegeofWinterhold.esp
93 5d ClassicClasses.esp
94 5e Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
95 5f Alternate Start -- New Beginnings.esp
96 60 Starting Spell Choice.esp
97 61 MCoW_CampfirePatch.esp
98 62 Bashed Patch, 0.esp

just gonna quote myself from another thread instead of rewriting it all out, so if you have any questions please ask

LOOT does sort fine. Though it isn't all that useful or necessary. Sorting is easy once you understand how also if you use Vortex it gets a lot easier as Vortex shows you exactly which mods need to be sorted at all.

So when it comes to sorting it all has to do with what the mods do. For example, a mod that adds a texture shouldn't effect a mod that changes audio stuff as such their relation to each other doesn't matter. Another example would be two texture mods one involves a sword texture and the other one affects an armor texture, these two mods won't conflict as they change or add to entirely different things. Whereas two texture mods that change iron armor will affect each other and the more important one should go first (though in practice this would be silly as one will always override the other making it pointless as to have both)

What LOOT does is find mods that conflict (alter the same files) and mods with dependencies and tries to organize them as best it can while it is really up to you to decide if the mods are correctly organized as LOOT is far from perfect and may move a mod that is required by another mod out of order. Again Vortex makes this a lot easier by telling you which mods these are and having you decide what order they should be in by telling it to place one mod as a higher priority than another.

Re: reply from DoctorKaizeld

Thanks!

I've become so familiar with using MO2 that I haven't been brave enough to try Vortex yet, but I keep running across positive comments.

I'm comfortable with the way load order in general works, whether with LOOT or manual sorting.

What I was trying to determine was whether my load order suggested anything to more experienced modders that might cause glitches or ctds, particularly around Helgen/ Riverwood. The only two mods I have loaded that are specific to that area are the Hunters cabin and Levelers Tower mods, but I've used them in previous playthroughs without running into this issue.

My system is new-ish, and defaults to 'Ultra' settings on installing the game, but certainly isn't state of the art or anything; I thought perhaps my Weather/Lighting/Realistic Waters/Grass mods might be in the wrong place or might not play well with each other. I'm also using Noble skyrim for most textures instead of the 2017 pack that I used in prior versions.

I don't know if its relevant or not, but in addition to the above mods, I am using an ENB- Ruhvaak Dahmaan.

Really just trying to get some ideas of things to activate/deactivate or install/ uninstall in order to get back to a stable game.