How do you create brand new textures for weapons?

FFQOTSA

Once you get the UVW unwrapped you'll need to render and save it to take to Photoshop or GIMP so you can create the texture. Unwrapping the UVW is generally a chore most people really dislike...I know its the least fun part of modeling for me. I'd suggest you find a good 1024 x 1024 checker grid to apply to your model so you can see areas being stretched and distorted and correct them on the UWV. This is one of the grids I apply as a texture to the model and load into the UVW editor as well.

Click here for grid.

Click the thumbnails for larger images.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/th_SaveUVW1.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/Jennifur68/th_SaveUVW.jpg

This has always been one of my favorite places to refer people for UVW mapping, yes it was written for 3DS Max 7 but the concepts still apply.

Edited by Jennifur68

Once you get the UVW unwrapped you'll need to render and save it to take to Photoshop or GIMP so you can create the texture. Unwrapping the UVW is generally a chore most people really dislike...I know its the least fun part of modeling for me. I'd suggest you find a good 1024 x 1024 checker grid to apply to your model so you can see areas being stretched and distorted and correct them on the UWV. This is one of the grids I apply as a texture to the model and load into the UVW editor as well.

After unwrapping the UVW, i have edges missing. Any ideas?

Show us a picture or two so we can get a better idea what you mean by edges missing. Unwrapping the UVW shouldn't cause missing edges because all its doing is arranging the mesh laid out flat for 2d painting. I suppose its possible you may have some flipped normals in your mesh if you mirrored any parts. Edited by Jennifur68

Show us a picture or two so we can get a better idea what you mean by edges missing. Unwrapping the UVW shouldn't cause missing edges because all its doing is arranging the mesh laid out flat for 2d painting. I suppose its possible you may have some flipped normals in your mesh if you mirrored any parts.

i made a much lower poly sword and this is the result...

How did you unwrap the UVW? Its very likely what you're seeing are polygons that are collapsed onto themselves so that they look like edges.

Here's what I suggest...in the edit UVW window look for the Selection Modes, you should see Vertex Sub-object Mode, Edge Sub-object Mode and Face Sub-object Mode. Click Face Sub-object mode, then make sure Select Element just below is checked. In the edit menus on the right side of your screen I tend to keep Ignore Backfacing unchecked unless I need to select only the front faces. Now on the edit window select your blade by dragging a selection over both parts of it, the blade should turn solid red in both the edit window and in your main view windows. In the edit window click Mapping then Normal Mapping. Select Front/Back and click OK and you should end up with your blade laid out in two halves...the front and the back. If you got anything else like the sides or ends of the blade don't panic, just select Mapping, Normal Mapping again and in the dropdown where it says Front/Back try Left/Right or Top/Bottom until you get the desired layout of the top and bottom of the blade. If doing this results in a perfect or near perfect blade unwrap then whatever you've done has resulted in polys collaped to edges in the UVW editor.

UVW mapping is a tedious chore that takes time to learn to do efficiently. As is your UVW map has a lot of black...the more of that you can fill with your mesh the better. I'm assumming this new lower poly sword is something of a test piece to work out whats going on with the mapping...if thats the case send me a copy and I'll see if I can open it in Max 2010 and have a look at whats going on...but I may not even be able to open the Max file because you're using Max 2012.