No Player or Quest Markers on Maps Since Last Patch

JayDub

In the last few days since the latest Skyrim update the marker for the player and quests is no longer visable on the local or world maps......... Makes working through dungeons and caves nearly impossible, ya I know I'm a wimp.............. All of the location icons for found locations are working fine just lost the marker for the players current positon and the much needed quest markers......... Problem not caused by mods as have disabled all added mods and problem is still there........ Game has worked perfectly for the last year from 11/11/11 until now......... Any help or suggestions appreciated........ Edited by JayDub

In the last few days since the latest Skyrim update the marker for the player and quests is no longer visable on the local or world maps......... Makes working through dungeons and caves nearly impossible, ya I know I'm a wimp.............. All of the location icons for found locations are working fine just lost the marker for the players current positon and the much needed quest markers......... Problem not caused by mods as have disabled all added mods and problem is still there........ Game has worked perfectly for the last year from 11/11/11 until now......... Any help or suggestions appreciated........

YES! YES! YES! arrrrr glad it's not only me. Not sure what caused it... I disabled all map mods (was using IcePenguin's) hmm really not sure what's going on there. But yeah you aren't alone, Hope I get it sorted and real soon!

it's a 1.8 bug, or rather a bug that became more prominent because of 1.8.

I'm not sure if theres a fix or not, but I've been looking through a few threads i've been watching. if if ind anything i'll post it. I do know that when l downloaded Map Hud Enhanced (i think by IceKK on the nexus) to test out the smaller map markers, my quest markers etc disappeared the same as you had.

I was able to fix it by reinstalling the game, but that was a pretty extensive fix.

it's a 1.8 bug, or rather a bug that became more prominent because of 1.8.

I'm not sure if theres a fix or not, but I've been looking through a few threads i've been watching. if if ind anything i'll post it. I do know that when l downloaded Map Hud Enhanced (i think by IceKK on the nexus) to test out the smaller map markers, my quest markers etc disappeared the same as you had.

I was able to fix it by reinstalling the game, but that was a pretty extensive fix.

Ok very cool! yeah keep us posted and thx for the info!

PROBLEM SOLVED...................

I renamed the file map.swf from the following folder SteamApps/Common/Skyrim/Data/Interface to map.swf BAK After map.swf was removed or renamed my player and quest markers all returned...... All other icons are now in black and white with no color but major problem is solved....... I must have missed the colored icons mod because it did not have an accompaning .esp file to deactivate..... All other map mods now still work...... I am back in business........

Someone else pointed me to this fix but unable to give him proper credit as I've lost track of where I found it...... Thanks buddy who ever you are...............

Hope this works for the rest of you...................

JayDub

Edited by JayDub

In-case anyone is still watching this thread:

PROBLEM SOLVED................... For me

I renamed the file map.swf from the following folder SteamApps/Common/Skyrim/Data/Interface to map.swf BAK After map.swf was removed or renamed my player and quest markers all returned....

Your problem was that you are using an old map.swf file. There was a new one released in the latest update. Just delete the old map.swf. No real need to back it up unless you have backed up an older version of Skyrim too. After that, all your map makers will return to the normal black and white, but you will have your markers back.

If you want your colors back, and your markers, I made a mod to do just that. Works with the latest update. [ http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26556/ ]

I didn't want to sit around waiting for an update to the other colored map markers, so I just made my own.

In-case anyone is still watching this thread:

PROBLEM SOLVED................... For me

I renamed the file map.swf from the following folder SteamApps/Common/Skyrim/Data/Interface to map.swf BAK After map.swf was removed or renamed my player and quest markers all returned....

Your problem was that you are using an old map.swf file. There was a new one released in the latest update. Just delete the old map.swf. No real need to back it up unless you have backed up an older version of Skyrim too. After that, all your map makers will return to the normal black and white, but you will have your markers back.

If you want your colors back, and your markers, I made a mod to do just that. Works with the latest update. [ http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26556/ ]

I didn't want to sit around waiting for an update to the other colored map markers, so I just made my own.

Yeah I didn't follow what Jdubs was saying (as I had no maps.swf) but did a search for maps and grabbed your mod xEightballx. I had no swf file in there....anyway problem fixed after installing your file. tnx much

Edited by Sartori75

Thanks xEightballx...............................

Saw numerous posts the last few days indicating many people had this problem, initially no one could provide a solution........ Only stumbled onto the map.swf solution this morning........ Have turned off the automatic updates in my Steam account as this is the second time they have messed up a perfectly working Skyrim for me.........

Thanks for all you do..................... My Skyrim is very heavily modded and would not be nearly as good a game as it is without folks like you.........

JayDub