A weapon with attitude

sirknimrac

(warning, i have been up for way to long, so i apologize if any of this doesn't make sense)

In the amber series, the sentient weapon, is indeed owned by corwins son, merlin. its a chaos infused weapon, that "mostly" warns of danger in the nick of time. In an attempt by both order and chaos, it is further infused with sentience, so that it can speak with merlin, in order to relay both chaos's and order's wishes to merlin. It usually takes the form of a garrote style whip, but can also take the forms of other weapons. (though this is more of a chaos trait, and is also present in other chaos denizen's weapons.) It can also be used to place variouse style traps, or underhanded attacks, and return to merlin. I'm pretty sure he also used it to pick locks on occasion.

As far as what i was thinking, though by all means, this is your (the modders) project, so feel free to come up with and implement what you feel would be appropriate.

A weapon that would occasionally morph into various one handed or two handed weapons. (this could be spontaneous or an active choice to the player. Though having it be spontaneous could make things interesting.) Definitely some dialog, maybe in response to certain enemies, or environments. Or even warnings. You don't have life detect, but that doesn't mean a sentient weapon wouldn't be able to detect them... and possibly let you know danger abounds.

Or if were talking factions in a more role playing aspect, it could taunt various groups, depending on what you yourself have done in game.

Demidekidasu: I do like your idea's on this. I unfortunately have no modding experience (at least in making them), so someone else would have to help you on the models. I also like the stat changing idea you have on this. Though maybe dragons would be a more permanent stat boost?

I was thinking about something like this some time ago.

But I don't know how to script.

Some weapons have couple of different on-equip/hit/bash sounds, would it be possible to increase the amount of those, and make it that there's like 1-2 normal equip sounds, then 2-4 lines of speech?

So it wouldn't always say something, but usually would.

Same for attack, though there could be much more attack sounds and couple lines of speech.

For bash? Mm.. can't think of anything.

I originally planned to do this by making sword. (Evil retexture), making invisible actor (equipped with the sword), setting the actor to speak with the lines of *SPOILER RELATED TO DB QUESTLINE* Lucien Lachance, he often says pretty nice dialog, and I'd love to see the "sword" use his dialogue. Think of it as in the way that his soul is bound on the sword. (Lucien the Longsword, anyone?)

However, I haven't yet made this. I made a test with the invisible actor thing, and it looks quite good actually.

I might try to make this, if anyone is interested.

However, I don't know how it would be possible to make the actual sword speak.

My goodness, Lucien Lachance in sword form, returning from the "other side" to wreak his vengeance upon the world sounds epic lol

And yeah, pretty much all the ideas you guys have mentioned are doable with scripting - some of them in theory, at least.

Detecting enemies is something I already know how to do as I was forced to come up with a section of script to workaround a Papyrus issue for a personal Witcher medallion mod.

I am offering my part for the scripting, we just need 3d models now. And I think there should be a quest involved with acquiring the weapon, which is something I don't know how to do lol

I have been running some ideas through my head, and how to pull said ideas off.

For example, I could make it perform a kill move now and again and have the sound of evil laughter (or whatever) play at the same time, with some screen effects. This of course would randomly happen, even times when you don't want it to - but that's partly the point, it's a sentient weapon after all, possessed by some crazy daemon lol

Another thing I could do is have it talk now and again, but that almost feels cliché...

Also, how about it starts to progressively damage your stats if you don't kill anything for a while, then boosts them if you kill several enemies in a short time? This could represent the weapon's bloodlust.

Like I say, I'm pretty certain I could do all the scripting for this, I just have zero knowledge of making 3d models.

wow thats really a great idea, love it :-)

Thats really something I have been waiting for a while now, and is somewhat similar to my request TRUE legendaries, that can be read in this thread, pls some contributions since it really complements this subject