The Evolving Society Mod

QQuix

Another Idea to have Guard armors improving: Bring new armors to the Guards. After cleaning out yet another Bandit lair, i could bring their Armors to the Guard Barracks and they would distribute the new Armor amongst them.

Maybe the Guards will run around looking all different. There would have to be some requirements; like the new Armor not being equipped until there are enough pieces for everyone on the force.

Or have a numerical requirement: The Guards wont wear Glass Curiases until there are 10 of them in the "Vault", where you bring the armors in. If there are 13 Guardsmen, they all get Glass Armor spawned in their inventory. Adjust the number requirement to your liking, maybe you feel that for 15 Guards about 20 Armor Pieces should be there. In case something breaks.

Anyhow, the Armorparts the Player brings to the Vault should be despawned while new Armors are spawned for the Guardsmen.

If there are less then the required number of armors in the Vault, only High Ranking Members of the Force get to wear them =)

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZyniX69 and madman123456

Your suggestions are possible to implement in the engine.

Just brainstorming on your ideas, here:

Instead of upgrading the Police/Guards/Security building as it is now, the player would have to do something to improve the weapons and armor of the guards.

The player could ask/order the smith to produce them, at the expense of producing other equally important materials. Depending on how this will affect the balance of the game, a specialized smith might be necessary, instead.

The security force using weapons and armor the player brought from elsewhere would also be possible to implement. Maybe, even, a delivery system from mainland, so the player would not have to carry each and every piece all the way to the island.

Having both alternatives would be nice, as the player would have to decide whether to sacrifice other productions to improve the guards, or sacrifice some of his/her own time to bring loot in. (and player decisions is all this mod is about).

ZyniX69 , although I am not planning to attach any aspect of this mod to the player level, the guards will level up as the town as a whole levels up. So your comment applies all the same, as the player will have to do something to upgrade the security forces as the town grows, or else the citizens will get unhappy and the production will fall.

madman123456, I think both are possible: distributing armor and weapon down the ranks according to grade or requiring there is enough for all before switching gear. I guess it would depend on how these systems would 'feel' in the final mod.

Of course, it is too early to tell if these ideas will be in the game, but it is always fun to think about the possibilities.

Thanks

I started the project last December and, so far, I have scripted the basic structure of the engine, the building upgrade process, the production process and the prototype/test environment released a few weeks back. These parts will have to be recoded to use the new OBSE arrays. While I wait for the new version of OBSE, I am working on a way to determine the size of the buildings.

Then, I am planning on working on the NPC leveling process, the satisfaction algorithms, the NPC hiring process and, of course, a few specialized processes that may be required/desired/selected (like the guards leveling we just discussed, pirate raids, foreign trade, etc) .

The following task would be the major challenge of balancing the game with all these processes interacting with each other.

If it looks good and we have a go, then comes the hard work of creating the landscape, NPCs, selecting resources to use and, in parallel, decide and implement the quests and dialogs for the main storyline and side quests.

Bottom-line: after a few prototypes and Beta vesrions along the way, with luck, a decent Version 1 sometime first semester next year, I guess.

The main engine is still on hold, waiting for the new OBSE.

Meanwhile, I am working on two building blocks in parallel:

- a way to determine the size of the buildings (a building 'scanner', actually).

- a way to give some 'color' to one of the last planned advancements: constructing ships and the establishing a trade route with mainland. The idea is to have actually moving ships arriving and leaving the docks. An early stage of this can be seen in

. You may notice that the ships do carry some cargo, so it will be possible to make the ships leave loaded with crates and return with a cargo of barrels (or whatever).

I think these moving ships will be a cool addition to the mod.

PS. I noticed Terry Pratchett (now, Sir Terry Pratchett) in your signature. Did you know that he plays Oblivion?

PS. I noticed Terry Pratchett (now, Sir Terry Pratchett) in your signature. Did you know that he plays Oblivion?

Really? I didn't know that! :P

BTW, I'm really looking forward to this mod's release, and that ship idea sounds great!

Not only plays Oblivion. He is an active member of a mod team (which I will not name because I don't know his feelings about privacy)

And thanks for asking about the mod and for the supporting words. It is always encouraging to know that there is still people interested.

• 4 weeks later...
You say that you are no good with words and writing. I am the opposite. I write, but am no good with modding. My one idea, giant cheese that you can script to mount and ride through the air, is up for grabs, as I utterly failed. But to the point, I volunteer myself to do any writing/idea-making that you require from me, that is, if someone else isn't doing it for you already. Thanks.

Yeah. To me, writing any text takes forever. The result is usually decent, but the price in time and stress is kind of high.

When I need a break from The Evolving Society, I work on a series of flight scripts. When I release them, you may use them to make your cheese fly. Lol

But, to the point. . .

Thanks for the offer. I am the only one working on this mod, for the time being.

I have not asked anybody to do any work on this mod, except, of course, adding suggestions to the threads.

The main reason is that I must, first, be sure the mod is feasible, both technically and practically (balanceable?).

Only when I finish developing what I call 'the engine', I will be comfortable asking others to spend their time and effort on this mod.

Another reason is that the features implemented in the engine will/may limit the boundaries of the storyline somehow. They will also affect other aspects of the mod, like the shape and initial landscape of the island, the NPCs etc

I still need a few months to finish the engine. If you are still interested by then, I sure will welcome you to the team.

In the meantime, I would appreciate if you added ideas and suggestions to the thread. Although I will think about and decide the main storyline and side quests only when I finish the engine, most of the ideas presented in the thread so far, helped me determining 'features' for the engine.