In need of severe help with modding FNV

eogonyetti3145

So I've been a console player for my entire life, and have just recently gotten a brand new gaming PC, and I must say I absolutely love this thing. Here are the specs copied right from the Newegg site I bought it from:

• Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost) CPU Processor | 500G SSD – Up to 30x Faster Than Traditional HDD | A320M Motherboard
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 Video Card | 8 GB Gaming Memory DDR4 3000 with Heat Spreader | Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • PCIe AC Wi-Fi with Antenna | No bloatware | 1 x HDMI, 1 x D-Sub, 1 x DVD-D | 4 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports, 2 x USB 2.0 | HD Audio and Mic | Free RGB Keyboard & Mouse
  • 3 x RGB RING Fans for Maximum Air Flow | Powered by 80 Plus Certified 500 Watt Power Supply | Skytech mATX Mid-Tower Tempered Glass Case

I've played DayZ and Insurgency; but the one thing I was mostly excited for was modding. I love Fallout, and Elder Scrolls and have been waiting for the chance to expand on the games with mods, but there is one huge glaring issue. I have no clue what I am doing. I've followed so many guides on YouTube, here, and some websites. I've tried MO2, FOMM, NMM. I followed this one guide called Viva New Vegas almost to a T, I watched DarkPopulos guides countless times, Aqousi, Xuul, many other youtubers. I've added NVSE, 4GB Patch, and those seem to work when I use GetNVSEVersion and Getislaa, but when I tried to use Viva New Vegas's tools like FNVedit, LODgen, and zMerge, I try to use them and a pop up will show up saying they can't be found or used, I finally figured out how to Manually download using MO2 and the archive thing, and it seemed to be going great, I got NMC Texture mod, and overwrote it with Ojo Bueno like one Youture (ExoticRPGs) suggested. I installed Rudy ENB, Roberts Male Bodies, Type3 body armor mod, Dimonized Type something body, ADAM mods, Monster Mod, MCM, DarnUI, Project NV, WRP, WMX, and tons of other mods and compatibilty patches so they all work together, but when I boot up the game, now all the menu options are piled together in an orgy of letters, and the entire screen is pink, and there is no main menu music, even if I disable all mods, the menu music is still gone.

I am in need of serious help. Can someone like call me and walk me through it or something? At this point I feel like a crack addict ready to give their body up for a dose. I am so desperate to mod my game. I don't even want to do pervy sex mods or all that. I just want a fresh NV experience. Survival and whatnot. The works. Can someone please take time to help me just a little? I'll even pay for someone to help me for all I care, I just need a helping hand.

Congrats on the new rig. I'm sure it will deliver many hours of pleasure, once you get everything squared away.

Disclaimer: I have zero direct knowledge of modding FNV, as I've never done it. I have modded other games, though - so take this for what it's worth. (I saw your post in the "Recent Topics" sidebar...)

Adding this and that and this and that and "tons of other mods" all at once is generally not sound practice. Also note that some mods for some games need to be loaded in a particular order.

Unless someone else comes along to offer specific guidance for FNV, what I would suggest is this:

-- Uninstall everything you just installed, clean up any stragglers (files), and get the base vanilla game working properly.

-- Once you know the base vanilla game installation works, start installing mods one or two at a time, and make sure they work before adding even more. Also make sure you understand the installation instructions for each mod and follow them.

From scratch, pre insall. Make a folder in the root of the drive (for me, the C: drive) and name it something like aaaFONV (aaa could be anything, just to set the folder apart).

You'll want to put a shortcut to this folder on your desktop. Inside this folder make another folder named ProjectNV. This is where you will download all mods and utilities having to do with the game.

Next, install your game in it's own folder inside aaaFONV. Run it at least once to the main menu to generate the .ini files (located in the documents/my games folder... you'll want to put a shortcut to this folder in aaaFONV).

(Get 7Zip for all your archiving needs)

Get the New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE) from Silverlock. Latest stable version. Extract it (into it's own folder... just presume its always 'in it's own folder). There may be a GOG specific patch on the site as well. The GOG version comes 4gig enabled. Now cut and paste everything in the NVSE folder into the game folder (where the fallout exe is).

Now, get LOOT mod sorter. Install it in it's own folder in aaaFONV. Run it once and sort and apply. (Presumng you've got the DLC) you will be notified about 'dirty edits'. Don't worry about those just yet. You'll want to put a shortcut to the loot.exe in aaaFONV.

Next, get Mod Organizer 2 Standalone archive (remembering to download it to ProjectNV), unzip it into it's own folder. Rename this folder to remove unsightly version code and cut and paste the whole thing in aaaFONV. Go inside and make a shortcut to the .exe to put in aaaFONV.

Run MO2. Select a 'Portable' instance (this is important otherwise it stores data in AppData instead of it's own folder). Double check in the settings that Paths are pointed towards the MO2 folder in aaaFONV. Now select the profiles and, whether or not you're gonna worry about profiles, there is a checkbox for archiveinvalidate the you will want to check.

Personally, i think 'download with manager' is a counter intuitive feature because it attaches too much dependency on the mod manager as a middleman. I manually download everything and just 'load from file' with MO2... that is to say, do not feel obligated at all to have MO2 connected with your Nexus account.

There are basics you'll want first. NVAC, jip-nvse. Also hunt down a new vegas stability video by GamerPoets.

If you can get me a Faberge Egg I could walk you through it, otherwise most answers are only a couple searches away. Have fun... Just wait till you discover mod making.

Edited by templeofninpo