My 2 biggest issues with skyrim

peteed1985

Torches and light making spells are useless, no areas not even caves are dark enough to need a torch to see but I like walking around with a torch in my hand because it looks cool however it takes away a lot of combat ability for 0 benefit.

Only 2 puzzles in the whole game??? Seriously look at a claw and match the order on dials on its door, and look in the room for the pattern thats plain as day and turn 3 things to match it.

Anyone else feel the same about these?

I would not want any more puzzles. If your gameplaying time is limited as mine is, they can kind of get in the way of the gameplay flow, especially where a major quest might be dependent on them. Neither Morrowind nor Oblivion had puzzles IIRC, they are not a major thing in TES games and I hope it stays that way.

Doesn't have to be something genius level, but any additions and more variety in any sort of puzzles being placed in the game would be something nice to see.

Could be things for side quests and mini missions, or just something you stumble across in your travels in a dungeon, old fort or cave.

1. Door needs three pressure plates active at once to open.

Player (1) + dead body/heavy object (2) + use of the "Fus" shout (3) = door opens.

2. Traps used to open blocked passage entry/grating.

Take one of the swinging rams - activate, dodge it and use something to burn the ropes holding it (spell/shout/torch) - the ram breaks loose on the forward swing and crashes through the opening, allowing you to continue.

Second one might take some more scripting to achieve, but the effect would be worth it. Anything more than a "match the symbols" style puzzle would be a nice change though...

Again they are something that I can run into problems with on account of my fingers no longer being as nimble as they were. I struggle with the one where you are trying to get the Horn Of Jurgen Windcaller and you have to activate all three of the pillars to open the three gates (yes yes, I know you only have to walk by them), but this is the killer, you then have to welly your Whirlwind Sprint to get through before they shut again. It was easy for my brain to work out but proves impossible for my fingers to perform about 99.9% of the time, hence TCL is my friend.

I'd be very sad if TES went down the way of requiring too much finger gymnastics, as I have had to give up on games like Devil May Cry and the Assassin's Creed games because of fancy button combinations that my brain can well remember but my fingers won't do.

Don't I remember a pressure plate combo like that from one of the Dwemer dungeons? I forget which one but I had to drag heavy dwemer metal pieces to get a door to open, I'm sure of it.

There are a couple of situations where you have to use random junk (or corpses) to weigh down pressure plates. I like those moments, it's nice to have to use my brain (however slightly) instead of just my sword.

However, I understand what GinnyFizz is getting at as well. Some puzzles can be just plain annoying, if there's not enough data to go off of. The Lexicon quest in Alftand has a very boring puzzle at the end of it... the one where you have to keep pressing random buttons until the lenses line up to properly re-direct the beam of light. In these cases, you're not really using your brain at all; you're just relying on dumb luck, patience, and the tiniest bit of common sense to get on with the quest.

you have to keep pressing random buttons until the lenses line up to properly

Well that's a relief. All this time I thought there was an obvious pattern I was missing.:rolleyes:

I like having to solve puzzles--not so much the step on these tiles or press buttons in a sequence, as real mysteries. I think that is lacking. There are a lot of potentials (like the dragons, the windhelm killer, etc.) but the solutions are pretty well handed to you. It would be nice if a problem required some real thought, maybe finding and reading a few books, making a few guesses, etc.

As for the lighting thing, I would agree in the pure vanilla, but there are lots of mods that make dungeons, etc. darker.

Yay about the lighting for sure, although I don't use an ENB series despite having a powerful computer. IDK but sometimes they seem to cause issues for people. I use Climates Of Tamriel which is one of the mods that has darker options. And I use The Imaginator as well to make things a little less washed out looking.

Well that's a relief. All this time I thought there was an obvious pattern I was missing

Nah, I hated that "puzzle". Obviously there is a correct sequence but since you don't get any useful feedback, it's quicker to solve with button mashing.

I grew up in the era of PC adventure games - from Maniac Mansion to Myst with all the Sierra Quest games and Monkey Island in between (and before - chronological ordering was never my strong suit), I've played and finished them all. Didn't have a handy internet page with walkthroughs available either.

What puzzles there are in skyrim are not very interesting and the solution is often given to you beforehand or is blindingly obvious. I've always wondered if that was a concession to the console crowd or lowest common denominator appeal or what.

For people interested in adding puzzles to their mods, here's a high-level overview article of puzzles found in adventure games and which may give you some ideas:

http://www.adventure...e/features/423/

The references it quotes at the end are also worthwhile reads.

Hell, I'll just link to this essay by the designer of Monkey Island even though it's listed in the references, because it gives useful tips.

http://grumpygamer.com/2152210

Edited by acidzebra