Valve on why they're favouring Linux over Windows 8

JimboUK

There's an opportunity for Google here, they're already heavily involved with Linux through Android and ChomeOS, a full desktop operating system from them would be very tempting for a lot of OEMs. Linux need a big backer, Valve aren't big enough but Google are.

There's an opportunity for Google here, they're already heavily involved with Linux through Android and ChomeOS, a full desktop operating system from them would be very tempting for a lot of OEMs. Linux need a big backer, Valve aren't big enough but Google are.

They may need a big backer, but I can't help but think that if Google gets involved that a Google OS would probably rely on data collection to sell to 3rd parties in order to make such a project profitable (not that Valve or Microsoft might not already be doing this). There is just a fine line between getting system statistics data to sell to hardware and software companies to make things work better with your OS, and collecting data based on every single thing a person does as a means of cramming more targeted advertisments at them.

Regardless of Valve's agenda here, I personally think that this is a good thing for Linux since this might help push more hardware manufacturers, game makers and more independent coders to start adapting games and hardware for easier use in a Linux environment, instead of requiring some sort of Windows emulator.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, almost every version of Windows came with its own share of complications and restrictions on actual user control over their system and software under the guise of being "user friendly". The problem is that Microsoft hasn't ever really stepped back on these restrictions, but rather users have had to find ways to disable them, or deal with them. I would say that W7, as it comes fresh on a new install is about as far as you can get from perfect or even desirable for anyone who does anything more meaningful than surf the web or use facebook. To get it to a state where it is stable you have to disable most of the visual enhancements, toolbars, and other bits of useless RAM-hording flash in addition to disabling UAC, replacing the firewall with one that actually works, removing the tech support user account and blocking access, and a half dozen other things that I've forgotten. Just because W7 is the most stable version since Windows 98, does not mean it is particularly good. From what I've read of W8, even those aspects which are published and shown by Microsoft, I wouldn't want to use it either.

I've never had any issues with what you've listed here on W7, and I've been using it straight out the box with defaults on. I use that PC almost exclusively for my PC gaming.

In regards to Linux, and this is my ignorance, but what'll happen is just the same thing as what you stated, but in reverse. Users will have to have an emulator of some sort, either for Linux or for Windows. But again, that's just my ignorance. I know nothing of Linux other than that it is another OS.

I've never had any issues with what you've listed here on W7, and I've been using it straight out the box with defaults on. I use that PC almost exclusively for my PC gaming.

If you have enough RAM, want all the extra toolbars and other desktop doodads, and aren't in a situation where you particularly need or care about system security, it isn't that big of an issue. But Given all the hacking exploits related to either the Windows firewall or accessing a computer through the service account, I personally wouldn't want to leave my door wide open for anyone bored enough to download a few tools and decide to grief or datamine me. Even though there is nothing that can make a system completely protected, most of the stuff that can be used by just about any 12 year old who knows where to look is usually designed only for exploiting weaknesses in common security setups (windows firewall, McAffe, Norton, Kaspersky) rather than being something that can easily locate those exploits in more unconventional setups.

In regards to Linux, and this is my ignorance, but what'll happen is just the same thing as what you stated, but in reverse. Users will have to have an emulator of some sort, either for Linux or for Windows. But again, that's just my ignorance. I know nothing of Linux other than that it is another OS.

If anything, it would end up being a situation similar to Mac compatibility for games. Most games are not designed to run in an Apple environment, so yes, they usually need a Windows emulator, a dual boot of Windows, or need to wait till someone gets around to figuring out some way of making a compatibility patch. Those games which are made for Mac, usually happens because the company wants to appeal to that extremely small market of people who use a Mac and play games for any significant amount of time. Game designers usually don't care about what platform that game is made for, as much as they care about how easy it is to adapt the controls, use the hardware, and how much of the market is using that platform. If there is a significant departure away from Windows based systems towards a more polished Linux one, then Microsoft might literally be having to pay companies to use their OS, or it will start making Windows based gaming almost exclusive to a Windows OS.

That's some good points. I personally use several other security measures, even though its a gaming pc only.

Another thing that comes to mind is if Linux, or any other OS, does start getting popular, and I'm talking on par to Windows, we'll probably be seeing just as many hacks/exploits as Windows currently. One of the reaons why Windows is attack so much is because of how much more it is used over other OS.

Google already has it's own OS, and it's own laptops to run it. It's called Chrome OS. The laptops are called chromebooks. And it is based on Linux. :thumbsup:

Looks like another take on the net book concept. Inexpensive (starts at about US$200), light weight, Low Ram, small HD, Needs the internet to do much. I don't expect to be playing Skyrim on this any time soon. :blush:

The Chrome OS can be used on a PC - I haven't tried it yet though. :tongue:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/

So really it seems what this boils down to is Valve spreading fear about Windows 8 because Microsoft might take a cut of Steams ludicrous 30% of profits from game makers. 30 freaking percent. How Valve are still considered the saviors of gaming is beyond me. I'm looking forward to some proper competition being made to Valve and Steam. I know it's on its way, I've turned down two separate meaningful invitations to join projects to help out in such an endeavour.

They're considered a hero of the gaming industry because, when selling to a retail outlet, the developer only keeps 15% of the profit. (Obviously, none at all on used games, but that's not relevant to pc devs.)

Edited by Aegrus

Another thing that comes to mind is if Linux, or any other OS, does start getting popular, and I'm talking on par to Windows, we'll probably be seeing just as many hacks/exploits as Windows currently. One of the reaons why Windows is attack so much is because of how much more it is used over other OS.

Not really. Not in the case of Linux, since it's an open-source model that is actually favored by most in those communities who do the hacking/exploiting entirely because it is much harder to compromise in a significant way than a Windows or even Mac OS. The fact that it IS open-source means that the actual coding for the OS is available directly, and can be fixed and updated in a much quicker timeframe by one of those dedicated coders who believe in the freedom that Linux provides, or by those who seek out ways to exploit and brake a system purposely just to show others where a problem so it can be fixed. Linux patches get released within hours of an exploit being made public, while Windows patches take months and usually don't do anything other than flag the exploit in an internal notation (to be fixed eventually when the next major version is being written) and apply a bandaid solution. Those people who donate their time to working on Linux plugins and sources should not be taken lightly, they do an awesome job and actually care about the end quality of what is released.

As far as Valve being a "hero" for PC gaming, I always thought it was more for the fact that they were the first to come up with a reasonably cheap, reliable, and accessible distribution model, and continually show an active interest in working with game developers, indie developers, and even the community of gamers. Instead of the EA model, where a commitment to gamers ends as soon as money has changed hands and you've accepted the EULA and all profits go towards buying every good IP they can, and immediately running it into the ground. Even if Valve's methods are primarily for their own benefit in growing their brand, they still have a generally positive effect on the whole gaming landscape.

They may need a big backer, but I can't help but think that if Google gets involved that a Google OS would probably rely on data collection to sell to 3rd parties in order to make such a project profitable (not that Valve or Microsoft might not already be doing this). There is just a fine line between getting system statistics data to sell to hardware and software companies to make things work better with your OS, and collecting data based on every single thing a person does as a means of cramming more targeted advertisments at them.

They've not been too bad with Android, you do have control over what's shared, they're no worse than Apple.