Non Steam copy of a Steam exclusive game

bben46

Just to throw in my tuppenceworth. Steam damaged my machine, my browser still doesn't work properly and it made Skyrim unplayable, just for those who believe that Steam is benign. Also, they really don't give two hoots about customer service, if you have a problem with Steam, their attitude is "Tough! Not our problem." They have a financial incentive for this attitude too, I was made VERY aware, that if I wanted my problems to go away, I need only purchase the game AGAIN! and it would have been by far the easiest option. As a result, Skyrim will be the last TES game I'll be purchasing as Bethesda have informed me that ALL future releases will be on Steam. I also asked if they'd be making a non-Steam version of Skyrim as I would buy it and was told that they would not. I am anti-piracy but also anti-unethical corporate mercantilists like Valve, so I am left out in the cold and that's what they bank on, put up with it or push off. Whether or not their attitude will alienate enough people to make a difference to their market dominance remains to be seen, but I suspect that they will continue to exploit gamers until it does.

Edited by NemesisTheWarlock

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to throw in my tuppenceworth. Steam damaged my machine, my browser still doesn't work properly and it made Skyrim unplayable, just for those who believe that Steam is benign. Also, they really don't give two hoots about customer service, if you have a problem with Steam, their attitude is "Tough! Not our problem." They have a financial incentive for this attitude too, I was made VERY aware, that if I wanted my problems to go away, I need only purchase the game AGAIN! and it would have been by far the easiest option. As a result, Skyrim will be the last TES game I'll be purchasing as Bethesda have informed me that ALL future releases will be on Steam. I also asked if they'd be making a non-Steam version of Skyrim as I would buy it and was told that they would not. I am anti-piracy but also anti-unethical corporate mercantilists like Valve, so I am left out in the cold and that's what they bank on, put up with it or push off. Whether or not their attitude will alienate enough people to make a difference to their market dominance remains to be seen, but I suspect that they will continue to exploit gamers until it does.

Just wondering how Steam made your machine break down? Maybe some of your hardware was about to crap out anyways. If it's a software issue, maybe you have an older OS, or files are corrupted somehow, (perhaps a virus somewhere?) else it should work quite fine; it does for the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people who have it installed on their machine. And as for needing to rebuy a game? You don't need to, since all games you have bought are tied to your account- I can go to another computer, log in there, and still be able to download and play my Steam-supported games there. I really wouldn't suggest this unless you had no other option, but how about trying to reinstall your OS? (Be sure to back up your important documents, first).

As for customer service, in the few problems I had to contact them with, they were very helpful, and worked to quickly solve the problem.

By the way, if your Skyrim is unplayable then how did you make those mods you have linked to in your signature?

Just wondering how Steam made your machine break down? Maybe some of your hardware was about to crap out anyways. If it's a software issue, maybe you have an older OS, or files are corrupted somehow, (perhaps a virus somewhere?) else it should work quite fine; it does for the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people who have it installed on their machine. And as for needing to rebuy a game? You don't need to, since all games you have bought are tied to your account- I can go to another computer, log in there, and still be able to download and play my Steam-supported games there. I really wouldn't suggest this unless you had no other option, but how about trying to reinstall your OS? (Be sure to back up your important documents, first).

As for customer service, in the few problems I had to contact them with, they were very helpful, and worked to quickly solve the problem.

By the way, if your Skyrim is unplayable then how did you make those mods you have linked to in your signature?

I have no idea how it did it, but, given that Steam is essentially malware; I guess it did something nasty to the underlying settings in Windows. I'm sure that completely re-installing all of the software on my machine will fix the problem, but my point is that I shouldn't have to if Steam is safe! As to the various options you present as excuses on behalf of Steam, it's a new, high spec machine with a clean install of a supported OS and the only nasty software on it was Steam. Also, I am NOT the only person who has had problems with it, it would appear that you have too, I'm glad that you're experience with them was so good compared to mine, but there are plenty of others out there who've suffered and plenty who simply refuse to use Steam after experiences like my own or who are denied access. I can only presume that your problem was a simple one to fix, if it isn't, they are significantly less helpful, especially when you can PROVE that they are at fault. I'm told that I was lucky not to be banned for daring to complain.

I am glad that you are able to use the advertised features so easily; I wasn't even able to play Skyrim on my own machine never mind any other. Skyrim was removed from my game library by Steam and therefore I could not play it anywhere but, if I was prepared to pay for the game again, it would be restored.

As for my Mods, as I said, my game WAS unplayable. I was able to find a way to get it working again by disabling some of Steam’s “features” with help from Bethesda who were extremely helpful in comparison and, like me, rather less than convinced of Steam’s explanation for my problems.

I can totally understand your desire to believe that Steam is a benign, gamer friendly utility and I hope that you never run into problems with it, but the truth is rather different to the general perception.

You are, of course, free to reject the use of Steam on your system.

What you are not free to do is then use products that require Steam under the terms of their licenses.

(And paticularly, don't discuss doing so here.)

Your choice is clear... Don't want Steam? Don't buy Steam games.

It's really simple... :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

You are, of course, free to reject the use of Steam on your system.

What you are not free to do is then use products that require Steam under the terms of their licenses.

(And paticularly, don't discuss doing so here.)

Your choice is clear... Don't want Steam? Don't buy Steam games.

It's really simple... :wink:

I have no idea how it did it, but, given that Steam is essentially malware; I guess it did something nasty to the underlying settings in Windows. I'm sure that completely re-installing all of the software on my machine will fix the problem, but my point is that I shouldn't have to if Steam is safe! As to the various options you present as excuses on behalf of Steam, it's a new, high spec machine with a clean install of a supported OS and the only nasty software on it was Steam. Also, I am NOT the only person who has had problems with it, it would appear that you have too, I'm glad that you're experience with them was so good compared to mine, but there are plenty of others out there who've suffered and plenty who simply refuse to use Steam after experiences like my own or who are denied access. I can only presume that your problem was a simple one to fix, if it isn't, they are significantly less helpful, especially when you can PROVE that they are at fault. I'm told that I was lucky not to be banned for daring to complain.

I am glad that you are able to use the advertised features so easily; I wasn't even able to play Skyrim on my own machine never mind any other. Skyrim was removed from my game library by Steam and therefore I could not play it anywhere but, if I was prepared to pay for the game again, it would be restored.

As for my Mods, as I said, my game WAS unplayable. I was able to find a way to get it working again by disabling some of Steam’s “features” with help from Bethesda who were extremely helpful in comparison and, like me, rather less than convinced of Steam’s explanation for my problems.

I can totally understand your desire to believe that Steam is a benign, gamer friendly utility and I hope that you never run into problems with it, but the truth is rather different to the general perception.

I also had serious problems with Steam, but it's the price WE pay for piracy. As for not buying Steam games: I would LOVE to not buy Steam games, but all of the good games require Steam. I need to update to the next version, and right now I'm stalling because the last update I made in November took 12 hours and some very rude tech support. They finally figured out that my update couldn't complete because my ISP interrupted the download, causing something to be lost in the mix, only it didn't just happen once. It kept happening over and over again. I don't know by looking what files are included in the update, but they DO. it was as simple as setting Steam to offline (no updates), but now....Guess it's time to try it... Wish me luck... I just wanna try SKYUI. If there was an archived version for 1.8, I'd avoid the stress. Actually, I'm looking forward to it...Just the masochist in me:P

given that Steam is essentially malware

Explain? I don't quite see how Steam is malware, given that 'malware' is defined as 'a computer program designed specifically to damage or disrupt a system, such as a virus' (SOURCE). Last time I checked, Steam was a digital distribution platform like Gamestop, GFWL or Desura.

Now, obviously you're having a little bit of trouble with your system. We get that. But are you 100% positive that it's Steam causing it? Because millions of other users can't be wrong. I don't have any malware on my laptop, and I run Steam. Go figure.

Yeah, Steam's CS can be sort of dickish. Welcome to EVERY customer service centre ever. Sometimes you get good customer service, sometimes you don't. I've had good experiences with Steam on the whole, personally. Sucks that you've had such a bad experience. But can you HONESTLY tell me that you've gotten great customer service everywhere else?

Edited by MissAniThrope

Explain? I don't quite see how Steam is malware, given that 'malware' is defined as 'a computer program designed specifically to damage or disrupt a system, such as a virus' (SOURCE). Last time I checked, Steam was a digital distribution platform like Gamestop, GFWL or Desura.

You're posted definition fits with Steam, it IS specifically designed to damage or disrupt the functioning of your machine under certain circumstances, just like a virus, hence, malware.

I am 100% positive, as are Steam as are Bethesda, so I'm confident in my diagnosis. Disabling of some of Steam's functionality, under direction from Bethesda, fixed the problem.

Your assertion that "millions of other users can't be wrong" seems ridiculously naive, besides, how do you know that Steam has "millions" of satisfied customers? My reasons for flagging Steam's problems are clear and obvious, the reasoning behind your defence of them seems far less clear. Also, those of us using good anti-virus software have already been alerted by it of the potentially harmful nature of Steam. Perhaps you need to upgrade?

As to customer service, regardless of the quality of that offered by other organisations, any organisation that offers a worldwide, 24hr online streaming service can certainly offer a better turn around time to customer queries than 5 days via email. Any quality online service provider will usually offer an online chat facility or telephone help line, usually both, regardless of the quality of the help offered, it at least means they are trying to offer their customers a decent service and they are, for the most part at least, courteous. The fact that Steam does neither speaks volumes as to it's corporate attitude towards us, it's customers. If you wish to accept shoddy service, you're free to do so, but it doesn't mean that we all have to.

As Thandal has tried to point out however, this thread is meant to be about clarifying the Nexus policy on using a non-Steam copy of a Steam exclusive game. So, to clarify, I may not like Steam, I may wish that Bethesda would sever all ties with them, but it's piracy of their software that has forced Bethesda into this position and I blame piracy and those involved in it for causing this problem. If you are a pirate, it's your fault that a company like Steam exists. If you, like me, don't want Steam, BUY the game and let Bethesda know how you feel or do without and let them know why, pirating their software is only going to make the situation worse.

Edited by NemesisTheWarlock

I had some problems with Steam back in the day, when they took over for Valve for the game servers but it was pretty minor. A decade+ later my son forgot his password after I built him a new rig and I had created his account on a now long gone email I generated and then never used again for him. Deleted due to innactivity.

Sent CS an email, explained the situation in detail and they took care of it for us within 48 hours. Everything good to go.

Maybe try opening a new case# with them and see if you get a better result?

You're posted definition fits with Steam, it IS specifically designed to damage or disrupt the functioning of your machine under certain circumstances, just like a virus, hence, malware.

...no.

Steam has NOT released a peice of software specifically to make your system go haywire. YES, Steam is somewhat invasive. No arguments there. But Gaben isn't sitting back, laughing at your misfortune. Steam does not exist to kill your computer, unlike ACTUAL malware. Just so we're clear, the 'mal' part of 'malware' is short for 'malicious'. There is nothing inherently malicious about Steam. Ergo, the definition does NOT fit Steam.

Disabling of some of Steam's functionality, under direction from Bethesda, fixed the problem.

And what direction is that, if you don't mind my asking? Links will suffice, assuming they lead to a site run by Bethesda.

Your assertion that "millions of other users can't be wrong" seems ridiculously naive, besides, how do you know that Steam has "millions" of satisfied customers?

I dunno... maybe because there are millions of people on at any given time? I don't think that's naive... it's a fact.

the reasoning behind your defence of them seems far less clear.

Wut. My reasoning is that, out of all the people I've ever talked to on the internet, you are so far the only person who's ever outright said that Steam is ruining your computer. Do you have irrefutable proof that it's specifically Steam? Have you wiped your computer, started over, and just installed Steam to make sure? Let me know when you do. And it's not that I'm defending Steam; usually when someone has a whinge about an incredibly popular programme ruining their computer, it ends up being something else entirely.

Also, those of us using good anti-virus software have already been alerted by it of the potentially harmful nature of Steam. Perhaps you need to upgrade?

A silly assumption. Who's to say I've not upgraded already, and Steam simply hasn't been flagged. Hasn't once since I started using it. And who are you including in 'those of us'? Names and statements from them, please. Do not talk for other people. You are the one with the issues here.

As to customer service, regardless of the quality of that offered by other organisations, any organisation that offers a worldwide, 24hr online streaming service can certainly offer a better turn around time to customer queries than 5 days via email. Any quality online service provider will usually offer an online chat facility or telephone help line, usually both, regardless of the quality of the help offered, it at least means they are trying to offer their customers a decent service and they are, for the most part at least, courteous. The fact that Steam does neither speaks volumes as to it's corporate attitude towards us, it's customers. If you wish to accept shoddy service, you're free to do so, but it doesn't mean that we all have to.

Five days via email? Steam forums are almost instantaneous. AND they're 24 hour. You didn't really look into your options, did you?

As Thandal has tried to point out however, this thread is meant to be about clarifying the Nexus policy on using a non-Steam copy of a Steam exclusive game. So, to clarify, I may not like Steam, I may wish that Bethesda would sever all ties with them, but it's piracy of their software that has forced Bethesda into this position and I blame piracy and those involved in it for causing this problem. If you are a pirate, it's your fault that a company like Steam exists. If you, like me, don't want Steam, BUY the game and let Bethesda know how you feel or do without and let them know why, pirating their software is only going to make the situation worse.

...so why did you bring up your problems with Steam? If the point of the thread is to outline what constitutes a Steam exclusive game, then why did you bring that problem here? Might I recommend the Steam forums?