Need help using Nexus! Huge noob over here!

Raccoonswordsmen

Downloading mods is always a gamble. Some just won't work (or won't work right), period. Others rely on "masters" - parent mods - which must be downloaded separately (this information is usually provided on the description page and in the readme). If the masters aren't installed, or are loaded by the game in the wrong order, then you'll usually get a CTD after the Bethesda logo.

Speaking of load order, you should download BOSS... it's a tool that checks your load order against an online "master list" of mods, and automatically sorts them for you. Load order can also be modified in NMM or by using Wrye Bash (which you should also download... among its useful features are the abilities to instantly activate all the mods used in any of your saved games, and to get visual warnings when a mod is missing one or more of its masters).

I'm certain that there are also tutorials on youtube, or floating around the Nexus, that can get you up to speed. Modded content has a learning curve, but there are resources out there to help you out.

Downloading mods is always a gamble. Some just won't work (or won't work right), period. Others rely on "masters" - parent mods - which must be downloaded separately (this information is usually provided on the description page and in the readme). If the masters aren't installed, or are loaded by the game in the wrong order, then you'll usually get a CTD after the Bethesda logo.

Speaking of load order, you should download BOSS... it's a tool that checks your load order against an online "master list" of mods, and automatically sorts them for you. Load order can also be modified in NMM or by using Wrye Bash (which you should also download... among its useful features are the abilities to instantly activate all the mods used in any of your saved games, and to get visual warnings when a mod is missing one or more of its masters).

I'm certain that there are also tutorials on youtube, or floating around the Nexus, that can get you up to speed. Modded content has a learning curve, but there are resources out there to help you out.

Those seem pretty useful. Thanks man. Let's see... anything I should keep in mind?

Those seem pretty useful. Thanks man. Let's see... anything I should keep in mind?

A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have.

Seriously though, there's quite a bit that could be said. A few tips to keep in mind...

-Comments sections are your friend. Always read them, to find out what issues other users are having. However, take everything you read with a grain of salt, unless it's repeated over and over by multiple users.

-Always read the full mod description, even if you just skim over it.

-It's best to only install two or three mods at a time. That way, if you run into issues, you know more or less where the problem lies.

-Certain types of mods can really hurt your FPS. Anything that enhances your graphics usually fits into this category. Mods that drastically increase spawns are also dangerous in this regard.

-If you CTD on startup, you probably have a missing master. If you freeze in-game, chances are that you're pushing your computer too hard. If you CTD in-game, this can mean that there's a mod problem, or a conflict between two or more mods.

-You should definitely download the Unofficial Skyrim Patch, Unofficial Dawnguard Patch, and Unofficial Hearthfire Patch, and put them at the top of your load order (the latter two are for DLCs, so don't install them if you don't have DG or HF).

A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have.

Seriously though, there's quite a bit that could be said. A few tips to keep in mind...

-Comments sections are your friend. Always read them, to find out what issues other users are having. However, take everything you read with a grain of salt, unless it's repeated over and over by multiple users.

-Always read the full mod description, even if you just skim over it.

-It's best to only install two or three mods at a time. That way, if you run into issues, you know more or less where the problem lies.

-Certain types of mods can really hurt your FPS. Anything that enhances your graphics usually fits into this category. Mods that drastically increase spawns are also dangerous in this regard.

-If you CTD on startup, you probably have a missing master. If you freeze in-game, chances are that you're pushing your computer too hard. If you CTD in-game, this can mean that there's a mod problem, or a conflict between two or more mods.

-You should definitely download the Unofficial Skyrim Patch, Unofficial Dawnguard Patch, and Unofficial Hearthfire Patch, and put them at the top of your load order (the latter two are for DLCs, so don't install them if you don't have DG or HF).

Okay, how do I update my game? im stuck on 1.1.21 or something

Are you running your game through Steam? It should download the patches automatically.

No, i bought it at Best Buy. just the disk

The reason the mods do not work, is because your game must be current. Have you played the game at all yet?

any specific questions send us a pm :)

otherwise the nexus is easy :) main things i'd remember are, read the rules, if you click download to nmm and it doesnt work, download manually then while in nmm click add from file :) simples

i'd also jump over to G.E.M.S. to look at good mods to start with (in some cases it'll mention whats not compatible with what)

if your a steam user you can just add it into steam :)

for reference the latest version is 1.8.151.0.7