[SE] NPC conversations stopping - a bug or a feature?

Texasdrummer96

Hello there!

I have some issue with the Special Edition of Skyrim and I still have no idea if it is a general bug (caused by a mod or vanilla) or just the game itself. Talk is about the random NPC to NPC converations appearing anywhere in Skyrim, most prominent example is the Whiterun Market. The problem is, i noticed that sometimes, the conversations between NPC's just stop and won't appear anymore. I know this sounds very silly, but since i dont know if this is an mod-bug or not, this drives me crazy. I had issues with this in the past, where all of a sudden all NPC Dialogues vanished and since that, I take care more than ever of such things. I removed every NPC altering mods except Immersive Citizens and No NPC Greetings. My newest game is a playthrough withoud any mod-alterations mid-game and goes now already for 60 hours. And still the Dialogue thing got me busy everytime since.

Because I notice that some conversations, which should after the next revisit of the location, are not appearing anymore and sometimes there are no conversations at all. The only way to resolve this afterwards is restarting the game or shout at the NPC's, which does not seem to be a long term solution.

Then I try to test if there is a real problem or bug and start just walking around to see if the NPC' interact to ensure myself that everything is okay. And this is really preventing me sometimes to play further. Because during the testing, I notice that really often dialogues won't show up, sometimes only for specific NPC's but then when I just try playing again, everything seems to work fine now, until another missing conversation got me hooked up again. Thats an never ending circle...

Since I play Elder Scrolls games I encountered many bugs and always found a solution, but sometimes I just dont know if it is just the game itself which would tell me that I dont should be worried. At this point I really dont know if this is even a problem, but as long as I dont know what it is, this doesnt seem to please me. Because I am somehow sure that when I disable IC for example, this wouldn't change anything, I already did this with Realistic Conversations (which really seemed to cause this, regarding to posts at the mod page). A script bloat i think seems also unlikely, the only hint for this would be that it takes time ingame to completely break the dialogue.

Because my biggest fear is that at some point in the late game, the conversations stop compeletly (and irreversible) which would be just immersion breaking (like every bug who "sneaks" into a late playthrough). I don't want to enter Raven Rock someday and find myself in a ghost town again...

Does anybody know if mods like IC or No NPC Greetings cause this or is it just the game, or even my imagination?

Can someone tell me if my worries are eligible?

I would be very glad if someone could help me, since this has become to a real problem for me which already caused several resarts of my Character.

Modlist is attached

Edited by Texasdrummer96

For what it's worth... my followers used to talk all the time. Now not so much, it's like they got tired of it or something, but they do still talk, sometimes. I think *but can't recall*, that at some point early on, I made some change suggested by some person in some article or post to "reduce" their interjections, or possibly via Amazing Follower Tweaks. Maybe you did something like that and forgot about it?

Do you mean the random comments they make or do your followers interact with other NPC's? The only follower mod I have is Extensible Follower Framework, but thats it.

My main problem are not followers, but the standard interactions between normal NPC's, for example the conversatios between Ysolda and Nazeem, or the Companions of Jorrvaskr talking witch each other. All these conversations seem to dissappear for some time, mostly until i restart the game. Then all of a sudden everything works fine again. But i don't know if this problem becomes more prominent the longer I play.

I meant the random comments by followers, and NPC-to-NPC talk. Even NPC-to-ME comments are way down from what they were. I realize there are mods designed to do just that, but after reviewing my mod list, I'm pretty sure I haven't installed one, unless some mod I've installed has a secondary effect of reducing NPC speech and I just forgot that it does... I basically have to stop dead in front of an NPC like the regulars in Whiterun for them to say anything. Followers not so much, but even there they're far less interactive than they were earlier in the game.

edit: earlier in the game I basically had to divert my path to avoid encountering any "major" NPC or they'd try to strike up a conversation, so to speak, now I can just stand there and they'll pass without uttering a word, or I can walk right by someone like Isolda and she says nothing...unless I walk almost right into her, forcing her to stop

Well that sounds also strange. The thing is that there is no way to test if thats a mod problem, or just Skyrim itself. I have never taken care of such things, unless i installed a mod once to make conversations to appear often. But the mod did not what i expected, so I unsinstalled it.

And now, after a complete fresh install, this thing bothers me still, since I now think that the conversations dissappear over time...

Edited by Texasdrummer96

• 3 months later...

ARARRARAAAAAAA This crap is soo annoying
Go into the market in rifen and you have every single NPC talking over themselfs all at once - I already tried like 4 freaking mods and none F-uC3ing work - SOOOOOO FRUSTING

Anyone know a 1000% fix to shut all of them up - Soo annoying when i want to hear an important line between 2 story charaters and have to press the tab key to shut them up so i can hear the rest of the story quest line -_____- RARAR

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well that sounds also strange. The thing is that there is no way to test if thats a mod problem, or just Skyrim itself. I have never taken care of such things, unless i installed a mod once to make conversations to appear often. But the mod did not what i expected, so I unsinstalled it.

And now, after a complete fresh install, this thing bothers me still, since I now think that the conversations dissappear over time...

The same problem I have. Have you found any solution?

Edited by AdmTraun

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem and found a way to fix it (at least for some time). I used the console to spawn a skeever in the Whiterun market and after attacking and killing it all NPCs talk and interact normally again. This method worked in other places with bugged NPCs like Raven Rock, Markarth or the Thieves Guild HQ. But I noticed that sometimes after doing quests in the city/area where those NPC live they become bugged again and the process has to be repeated. Also checked if cell reset causes the bug to appear again and fortunately it doesn't. Another method is shouting at them with fus, yol or the freezing shout. It results in a bounty from the guards though.