Modelling without Developer support - A Tutorial

Site Bot

Article link: Modelling without Developer support - A Tutorial

ill try to make this as short as possible...

-----------------------

restrictions so far:

no direct export/import from max nor blender

thus no bones and thus no skinning/rigging or animating (well you can animate in nifskope by numbers if youre really desperate)

possibilities:

change any static object, hats and helmets, weapons and probably ammunition, drugs and the like

as long as you need no animation or rigging (hats dont need rigging anymore as they are statics)

grey area:

collission ( i didnt bother so far)

----------------------------

method:

replace each part of a model with your own custom ones

example: for a pistol youll replace the trigger with a trigger, a clip with a clip and so on but not the whole pistol as one

----------------------------

how to:

(note: for nitrishape blocks plz see additional info at the bottom of the page)

-create your model and export it like you would for oblivion

-open it up in nifskope and navigate to the nitristrip you want to export into your new mesh

-copy its nitristripsdata

http://home.arcor.de/jaysus/tutorial/1.jpg

-open up the vanilla mesh you want as a base

-look for a similiar nitristrips like the one you took the nitristripsdata from

-overwrite its nitrstripsdata with the one you copied from your creation

(right click the nitristripsdata to be replaced and choose "paste over")

(also try to remember the originals name youll need it later)

http://home.arcor.de/jaysus/tutorial/3.jpg

-change the nitristripsdata name to that which you remembered from the original nitristripsdata

so much for the model incooperation, on to textures

-------------------------

Texturing:

- go to the nitristrips/shape you want to texture and click on the BSShaderPPLightProperty

- click on its child called BSShaderTextureSet

- under block details you can now select your texture of choice

it seems that the diffuse map is always in the first and the normal map in the second slot

http://home.arcor.de/jaysus/tutorial/tex1.jpg

notes:

there is a difference if you create a weapon or a hut for example... weapons need 4 textures instead of two, you need to supply the mesh with the following:

filename.dds

filename_n.dds

1stpersonfilename.dds

1stpersonfilename_n.dds

all of those need to be in the same folder

only filename and filename_n need to be specified under BSShaderTextureSets, 1stpersonfilename.dds will be detected automaticly

not creating a 1stpersonfilename.dds will result in swapping textures of the gun with your hand, nifskope errors, ctds and other freaky stuff...

------------

save and done :)

http://home.arcor.de/jaysus/tutorial/6.jpg

------------

addon info for nitrishape blocks instead of nitristrips:

-set TSpace Flag to 16 (enables binormals and normals)

-undate tangent space

-set HasVertexColours to yes

update the vertex, normal and binormal array by cllicking on the green arrows

-change the name to that which you remember of the original nitrishapedata

-save

http://home.arcor.de/jaysus/tutorial/shapeaddon.jpg

------------

youll have to do this for every single part of a mesh... this includes for a pistol for example: trigger, clip, slide and basehull

article version can be found here: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/articles/article.php?id=26

------------

thx to vash1985, brurpo, throttlekitty and the guys at niftools for their findings, posts and whatnot...

• 2 weeks later...

Very useful tut,thanks!

I tried to edit female head mesh,but got a problem:when I paste over ShapeData Mesh goes up about 100 (units) on Z axis. Looks like this,hehe: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/imageshare/image.php?id=652

I tried to move it back in place with transform,in NifSkope it looks fine then,but ingame still up there. I tested with unedited mesh too: just import/export with no changes and followed all instructions-same result.I mported/exported "whole thing"-with bones if it matters.

If you can give me any tips I'll be grateful.

Thanks again,dimon99

• 2 weeks later...

@dimon

hi sry for replying so late didnt see the article thread had comments lol...

do not just try transform, try the translations of different parent nodes aswell... sometimes only one works, and often the former part is somewhere totally crazy and was just fixed by the devs with the translation thing...

best option is to move the head in your 3d prog and export again i guess OR

if u use max use the hierarchy-> pivot to object center thing (next to the modifier rollout), reset xform, (should always do this after resize and moving)

if youre unlucky you skinned it wrong lol... time to do it again...

------------------------

@nesterman

glad you liek it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I tried to change the metal armor thanks to your tutorial, I changed three parts (upperbody, arms and pipboyoff), doing what you wrote, it looks great in the nifskope render, buf in fallout, it gives this when I equip a metal armor:

http://z1.zod.fr/z/screen-cqA.jpg

As you can see, there's a little problem and I don't understand why.

If someone has an idea of what's wrong, he's welcome to explain it, thank you. If you think you can fix it with some more details, I'll be glad to give them ;)

• 1 month later...

this is so great. i've been using this for weeks now, but i've got a problem: when i assign a texture, i get this every time i load the nif in nifskope after saving:

""device position incorrect after block number 16 (BSShaderTextureSet) at 2382 ended at 2503 expected 2514""

""device position incorrect after block number 17 (NiTriStripsData) at 2514 ended at 245942 expected 31226""

"array "Extra Data List" much too large. 1628716032 bytes requested"

""device position incorrect after block number 18 (NiNode) at 31226 ended at 31234 expected 31314""

"array "Keys" much too large. 1623215949 bytes requested"

""device position incorrect after block number 21 (NiTransformData) at 31380 ended at 41636 expected 31516""

""invalid array size for array" "Extra Data List""

"array "Extra Data List" invalid"

""device position incorrect after block number 22 (NiTriStrips) at 31516 ended at 31524 expected 31617""

"array "Extra Data List" much too large. 16777216 bytes requested"

""device position incorrect after block number 23 (BSShaderPPLightingProperty) at 31617 ended at 31625 expected 31671""

"array "Textures" much too large. 1701999988 bytes requested"

""device position incorrect after block number 24 (BSShaderTextureSet) at 31671 ended at 31675 expected 31801""

""device position incorrect after block number 25 (NiTriStripsData) at 31801 ended at 245942 expected 34417""

""invalid array size for array" "Extra Data List""

"array "Extra Data List" invalid"

""device position incorrect after block number 26 (NiTriStrips) at 34417 ended at 34425 expected 34518""

"array "Extra Data List" much too large. 16777216 bytes requested"

""device position incorrect after block number 27 (BSShaderPPLightingProperty) at 34518 ended at 34526 expected 34572""

"array "Textures" much too large. 1735357040 bytes requested"

""device position incorrect after block number 28 (BSShaderTextureSet) at 34572 ended at 34576 expected 34702""

""device position incorrect after block number 29 (NiTriStripsData) at 34702 ended at 245942 expected 245954""

"failed to load file footer"

"failed to load nif from 'D:/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3/Data/meshes/weapons/2handautomatic/lasgun_4.nif'"

"NiTriStripsData" ( 17 ) 'points' array not found

sorry, this is long, but maybe somebody can break this down so i can understand it =/ weird thing is also that i can use the nif without problems in the geck and my mods, just cant edit them lateron in nifskope =/ what am i doing wrong?

Archived