Jin Roh Power Armor

greatbigjerk

Koshinn, I swear it is dropped in Jin-Roh (or the magna) that the protect gear does provide protection for NBC warfare. The visual problem comes from the face piece only providing thermal, and no other form of sight.

Though, it has been 3, 4 years since I've read Hellhounds. You're right about the quality of the protect gear. By Stray Hound, it has gone from an armor for an elite anti-terrorism squad, to one the JSDF has partially fielded. Of course quality would have dropped.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Koshinn, I swear it is dropped in Jin-Roh (or the magna) that the protect gear does provide protection for NBC warfare. The visual problem comes from the face piece only providing thermal, and no other form of sight.

Though, it has been 3, 4 years since I've read Hellhounds. You're right about the quality of the protect gear. By Stray Hound, it has gone from an armor for an elite anti-terrorism squad, to one the JSDF has partially fielded. Of course quality would have dropped.

It definitely protects from biological and chemical warfare. That's why I suggest giving the helmet (or the suit) poison resistance.

It also definitely protects against alpha radiation... printer paper protects against alpha radiation. It also definitely protects against beta radiation as living tissue can stop beta radiation. Thus combat armor, talon armor, metal armor and ranger armor all stop the first two types of radiation, but give no Rad Res. The radiation in the game is probably gamma radiation. The thick metal 360 degree protection of "real" power armor in the game is what you need to even somewhat protect yourself against gamma radiation, thus a moderate 10-20 radiation resistance bonus. You can also tell that the radiation in the game is not simply radioactive dust particles in the air (like those thrown into the sky after a ground burst nuclear explosion) because wearing a gas mask doesn't seem to give radiation resistance, only the actual power armor does.

For the record, modern NBC gear also doesn't protect against gamma radiation as it doesn't consist of dense plates of metal. Modern NBC gear is basically a fully-enclosed suit to stop radioactive dust, aerosol chemicals, airborne viruses and bacteria, and even alpha and beta radiation. But it's NOT rated to walk into direct exposure from gamma or neutron radiation.

The vision problem is from wearing goggles that heavily restrict peripheral vision, not from only night vision, hence the portions of dialogue mentioning how your squad mates need to cover your blind spots. And it's not thermal, it's low-light or light amplification as seen in the house clearing scene when the instructor pulls open the window covers and blinds the trainee. And finally, the night vision is not "always" on, as seen in Stray Dogs when the main character is obviously fighting in daylight. It'd be a horrible design if it could only be used at night or require you to remove your mask to use it in the day.

As for actual development, I can start working on models for the armor in the near future. I can also help with story development; I'd hope it's a fairly good story arc such that people don't see the mod as simply "shoehorning" another universe's gear into fallout.

Would also be neat if the main character could either join that faction or start out in that faction from the beginning, complete with storyline quests. ^.^

As for actual development, I can start working on models for the armor in the near future. I can also help with story development; I'd hope it's a fairly good story arc such that people don't see the mod as simply "shoehorning" another universe's gear into fallout.

Would also be neat if the main character could either join that faction or start out in that faction from the beginning, complete with storyline quests. ^.^

Well write something up AS. :thumbsup:

Well wright something up AS. :thumbsup:

Who told you I was a wri-

>.>

What makes you think I can write?

<.<

I couldn't write my way out of a phone box. :P

Besides, I don't even know if anyone will try to implement a TC type mod for this, if it starts getting done, I'll consider putting pen to paper. ;)

Besides, I don't even know if anyone will try to implement a TC type mod for this, if it starts getting done, I'll consider putting pen to paper. ;)

This is how most mods die before they even start. :yucky:

When I get time, prolly later this week, I'll see if I can get protect gear made.

When I get time, prolly later this week, I'll see if I can get protect gear made.

Having a new armour is one thing, but someone making a commitment and know how to create a mod that changes not only who the character is but how it starts is something completely different. If someone would commit to that type of thing, I would happy to write a nice long story / quest line for it and integrate it into the current MQ.

>.>

I do look forward to having some ProtectGear, though. ^.^

And a MG42 with ammo chain that slides over the armour on the left arm after the GECK comes out. ^.^

Having a new armour is one thing, but someone making a commitment and know how to create a mod that changes not only who the character is but how it starts is something completely different. If someone would commit to that type of thing, I would happy to write a nice long story / quest line for it and integrate it into the current MQ.

>.>

I do look forward to having some ProtectGear, though. ^.^

And a MG42 with dangling ammo chain after the GECK comes out. ^.^

So you'd want to add a whole new starting point? I thought you just wanted to add a long quest line into the existing game, but you'd still be a person from vault 101 etc.

Can't wait for the G.E.C.K.!

So I've been re-reading fallout background stuff including the fallout bible.

Japan is never mentioned, and the fallout universe diverges from ours AFTER WW2, so Japan still lost.

I'm thinking a Japanese protect-gear armed force would most likely be the former guards of the Japanese embassy. Alternatively, they could have been a Japanese military force cross training with US forces when the nuclear war broke out and were brought into a US Military vault similar to the BOS ones.

Or perhaps refugees from the Chinese aggression... but they couldn't have been hiding in Cali because they would've been mentioned in FO1/2, so maybe Hawaii? Although Hawaii is a prime nuke target, so ... maybe South America somewhere, then they slowly made their way north to the USA, figuring that the USA with the world's 2nd largest military, would have the best chance of some kind of survival of their military assets, and thus possibly a way home to Japan.

Archived