First Time User Needing Help Installing

Rimarlk

Hey all not sure if this is even the right place but I'm trying to install Duke Patrick's Heavy Weapons and Archery mod and I've never manually installed a mod before lol. I've got the downloaded file unzipped and I'm stuck as to what to do next. I have folders "meshes" "scripts" and "seq" and 3 other files "aadpcombat" "DukePatrick'sHeavyWeaponsCombat.esp" and a "Save158DurdSkryim01.15.09.ess". Idk where to put these. Got a bunch of word documents too but I'm not worried about those. After watching several tutorials I believe I put the first 3 in the "Data" folder of my "Skyrim" folder. Not sure about these other 3 and I haven't been able to find any other info on them.

Spent about 6 hours just reading about modding and figured I'd dabble a little bit. Overwhelming stuff but still cool. Hopefully someone can give me some pointers thanks everyone!

With most mods everything goes into the Data folder and will sort itself out...but the description page says, "THIS IS NOT THE READ ME FILE! YOU MUST READ THE READ ME FILE TO USE THIS MOD PROPERLY." So I downloaded the mod to look at the Read Me. The first thing you'll need to do is install the Skrim Script Extender (SKSE) for this to work because accorrding to the first Read Me document, "Skyrim Script Enhancer (SKSE) is now REQUIRED for this mod." You can watch a very good video on how to install SKSE

. Follow the video's instructions and you will succesfully install SKSE...you'll find a lot of good mods do require SKSE so its worth installing. Before proceeding futher test that you have properly installed SKSE as the vidio instructs you using the console command.

From the looks of it I'd say dropping everything into your Skyrim/Data folder should install it some folders may need merged thats normal...in the "Duke Patricks Combat - Installation Read Me 3of5.doc" it says the .ini file edits are optional but if you're installing the mod I don't see why you wouldn't edit the .ini file. Personally I don't know about the "Save 158 - Durd Skyrim 01.15.09.ess" that looks like a save game file so I don't know if you actually need that or not maybe someone else can advise on that.

Obvioulsy thing like the read me documments you don't need in the Data Folder so copy these items to Skyrim/Data:

Meshes, Scripts and Seq folders and the Duke Patricks - Heavy Weapons Combat.esp, aadpCombat (If promted to merge folders say Yes, you shouldn't need to overwrite anything.)

As far as the "Save 158 - Durd Skyrim 01.15.09.ess" is concerned I'm not sure...I suggest testing it without it initially.

Read the "Guide to edit your Skyrim INI.txt" and the "Duke Patricks Combat - Installation Read Me 3of5.doc" to editing the .ini file. After looking over the .ini editing documentation at least one of the .ini edits appears to be required.

Do start Skyrim from the Steam launch button before you try to play it through the SKSE launcer after installing the mod...in Steam click Play then in the launcher box that pops up check the Data files to make sure the mod is checked...if it isn't check it. Close the Steam launcher after confirming its enabled and launch the game using the SKSE launcher you created setting up SKSE.

With most mods all you'll do in click "Download with Nexus Mod Manager" then after it downloads you simply activate it.

Edited by Jennifur68

Awesome reply thanks that helps me a lot I'll go look over this later when I get the chance. I actually installed SKSE before I even downloaded and tested it as per the video before I did this post but I appreciate you explaining it still.

The Save158 confused the heck out of me when I saw it.

Thanks for the tip on if it asks me to merge folders I'll do that if it asks.

I'm also wondering if I should wait to do all this until I have dawnguard...Steamsale is next week and I'm hoping I can get it at a reduced price. I've read some mods have different steps for non-dawnguard versions of the game and dawnguard versions (like Skyrim Redone)...soooo yeah.

The one thing that intimidates me is editing ini. files never done that before but I'll give it a shot later. Which one did you say was required? I only read .ini changes to archery. Thanks again for the great reply!

Edit: Quick question what's a batch file? (He says to run as a batch file in skyrim via the console...do this ____)

Edited by Rimarlk

• 1 month later...

Awesome reply thanks that helps me a lot I'll go look over this later when I get the chance. I actually installed SKSE before I even downloaded and tested it as per the video before I did this post but I appreciate you explaining it still.

The Save158 confused the heck out of me when I saw it.

Thanks for the tip on if it asks me to merge folders I'll do that if it asks.

I'm also wondering if I should wait to do all this until I have dawnguard...Steamsale is next week and I'm hoping I can get it at a reduced price. I've read some mods have different steps for non-dawnguard versions of the game and dawnguard versions (like Skyrim Redone)...soooo yeah.

PS. just openthe console, and type: bat aadpCombat

The one thing that intimidates me is editing ini. files never done that before but I'll give it a shot later. Which one did you say was required? I only read .ini changes to archery. Thanks again for the great reply!

Edit: Quick question what's a batch file? (He says to run as a batch file in skyrim via the console...do this ____)

Batch file is the aadpCombat file without any extension. Batch file can contain many console commands, and when you execute one with the "bat" command, like "bat aadpCombat", the game will execute all commands what is writen in the file. So you dont have to type every console command one after another. (like a macro?)

As far as i know, in aadpCombat bat file has variables for the scripts.

Edited by Sovanak