What is your favorite race?

oOlaquerheadOo

Playing Skyrim as a Nord just feels right to me, just like playing a Dunmer in Morrowind felt right. But it doesn't change the fact that some races tend to stand out over the others in regards to their culture and history. And in my opinion, TES has some of the most developed collection of races and cultures I've ever seen in a game.

Anyways, each time I begin a new character, it takes me forever to figure out which race to play as. I've always had a connection with the Dunmer as Morrowind was my first Eler Scrolls game and their culture is extremely interesting. But after reading the Infernal City and Lord of Souls by Greg Keyes (two great books), I have discovered that the Argonians are truly outstanding. from the An-Xileel taking on oblivion gates on their own, to the strange, symbiotic relationship they have with the hist trees, I have to say that the Argonians are the most interesting of them all.

Thoughts?

Edited by oOlaquerheadOo

i've always liked dumer as well, however i'm equally fond of bretons. and not just because of their natural magicka resistance.

l usually end up going to a breton/elf choice, depending on the character l'm making.

l've tried playing beast races several times, but kept restarting for non-related reasons, so l'm not sure how l feel about them. l do find the nord just kind of...boring, for me. somewhat the same for the imperials - the racials aren't that interesting, and l find their cultures unappealing. thats' probably related to the fact that l'm more interested in magic and druidism etc - wood elves intrigue me because they're in tune with nature (even if i don't know much about the culture itself), and the other 2 for obvious magica reasons.

Never played a human race and don't intend to anytime soon either. My longest running characters have been an Altmer and a Bosmer, though I've also had Argonians, Dremora and a wealth of modded race characters my favorite of which was the Gate Revenants in Oblivion.

l usually end up going to a breton/elf choice, depending on the character l'm making.

l've tried playing beast races several times, but kept restarting for non-related reasons, so l'm not sure how l feel about them. l do find the nord just kind of...boring, for me. somewhat the same for the imperials - the racials aren't that interesting, and l find their cultures unappealing. thats' probably related to the fact that l'm more interested in magic and druidism etc - wood elves intrigue me because they're in tune with nature (even if i don't know much about the culture itself), and the other 2 for obvious magica reasons.

I'm right there with you, which is one of the reasons I'm so interested by the argonians. I love the relationship thy have with the flora of Black Marsh. I've never actually played as a wood elf, though. Now that I think about it, that's the one race that I keep forgetting about. I'll have to play through as one sometime. And I totally understand the lack of interest with the human races if you're into magic characters. Magic characters often make warriors and the like seem like regular dudes running around with sharp sticks.

yeah theres very little appeal to beating on things for me. although l do like biting...pity playing as a vampire sorta sucks imo. (i hate night-play. -.-)

My next playthrough I think l'm going to make an against-trend character - probably an argonian or kajhit mage, or something. although, the breton l'm playing now l sorta switched styles at level 10ish - started out a regular magica user, but once l reached 25 sneak & was able to join the thieves guild l sorta started putting more time into stealth. with hardcore lockpicking, l NEED perks in lockpicking to get anywhere, same with sneaking after the changes l made, so this char's turning to be pretty interesting.

Shes wearing the tg armor, but with aces magic revamp her magic regens much slower...it's really changed how l play the game. hehe

+ with Ankhs Racial Tweaks mod, l have to put more points into stamina, too, so l'm not just buffing the hell out of my magic pool.

wee!

I just recently started actually planning characters out. I would previously start a play through and get a couple of hours in before starting a new character. Before I knew it, I had around ten characters that I couldn't keep track of. But I started imagining a back story (why they're in Skyrim, what they have done) and limiting my character to a pattern of behavior and thought that fit their culture and upbringing as I imagined it. It's the first time I have ever actually felt attatched to any of my characters since Morrowind. Makes it a lot more interesting, really. I guess I'm rping, but I definately understand what you're saying when it comes to the way that you play.

Oh, and it's totally taken care of the financial freedom that kind of drove me crazy. I don't carry around 12 sets of enchanted armor just to sell any more. Now every gold I make has real value.

Edited by oOlaquerheadOo

Out of all the races, I'd say that the Dunmer race is my favourite.

Orcs, Nords, Redguards, Khajiits and Imperials are just too strong to be any fun, an' the elves aside from Dunmer are just no use in combat, but murder everything when using magic.

I've found that Dunmer are a nice balance between being able to hold their own in combat and not have the battles be easy, both with magic and a good ol' sword.

Tried playing the other races a week ago, didn't like it, went back to my true love; Dark Elves.

I just recently started actually planning characters out. I would previously start a play through and get a couple of hours in before starting a new character. Before I knew it, I had around ten characters that I couldn't keep track of. But I started imagining a back story (why they're in Skyrim, what they have done) and limiting my character to a pattern of behavior and thought that fit their culture and upbringing as I imagined it. It's the first time I have ever actually felt attatched to any of my characters since Morrowind. Makes it a lot more interesting, really. I guess I'm rping, but I definately understand what you're saying when it comes to the way that you play.

Oh, and it's totally taken care of the financial freedom that kind of drove me crazy. I don't carry around 12 sets of enchanted armor just to sell any more. Now every gold I make has real value.

that's exactly how l look at it. l don't do the rp aspect as much, but l do try and make it so that if my character gains a level or amount of gold or what have you, she'll value every penny of it - she has to, bc she clawed her way up from nothing. atm a single lockpick is 60 septims, and my lockpicking is relatively low, so l can't afford much aside from pics - l have 6k atm, but need to buy more. l'm not doing too bad as far as that goes, but l haven't bought a single spell - relying on tomes found in loot, so that makes it really interesting too, and 20 lockpicks 'll set me back by like...1800? can't remember how many l bought last time, but spent 1800 and wasted half of them on 2 expert/adept locks.

Lol... l think l may be a slight masochist.

lol, I hear ya. My friends don't understand why I have to torture myself by making the game harder through immersive techniques. It's the Dark Souls affliction: failure is common, but success just feels so damn rewarding when everything is balanced and you have to earn what you get. I don't think I'll be looking back anytime soon.

@FiftyTifty I'm just now coming off of a really serious play through as a dunmer for what has to be the one-millionth time. I started off with dark elves for the exact point you make- they're balanced and versatile. I'm just now finding a new love for argonians, though. My favorite would definately have to be a toss up between the two.